Anyone buy from eBay? Specifically from sellers in Hong Kong?

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I won an auction on eBay for a New 950 for 271.50. I thought to myself I got a great deal until I started looking into the seller and his location. I could of sworn I put North America only, but I guess not. Anyone have a positive experience from buying from these sellers overseas? The seller I specifically purchased from was topurch at topurch on eBay

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Their feedback overall isn't bad, but there are a few instances of people saying they got refurbs, not new. I would look carefully at the phone when you get it to make sure it's new, then test it out. Their return policy says 14 days, but you probably actually have 30 with ebay.

The item location says US, but it takes 1-2 weeks for shipping, so it may be drop shipped from abroad.

I have only bought parts, not whole phones, from China/Hong Kong. That's hit or miss, but since it's eBay, refunds go pretty smoothly.

I have bought whole phones from Russia, England, and Israel, but they were private sellers, and they all went fine, other than waiting forever for shipping.

Good luck.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Okay I knew I was right when I read the item location being in the US. I know eBay's policy greatly benefits Buyers, so I wouldn't have an issue returning the item if needed, its just the long process I don't want to deal with, if I have to utilize that option. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get it in 2 weeks. 270.00 is a great price consider the phone is New.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
sometimes these overseas sellers will push hard to do a partial refund due to shipping costs. If there's an issue, you may have to be persistent, as they run you around a little first.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't hold sellers in Hong Kong or China as inherently sketchier and it depends on the individual seller.

However, across the board I generally expect significantly longer shipping times.

AuraTigital

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950xl from Hong Kong, handled by Lazada. Had no issues/problems and it's running super well so far. Only thing is the phone might be set to Chinese by default. Even though I'm Chinese I had trouble setting the language at the start. My Chinese is terrible.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
So the phone is here, but I'm a little peeved. It wasn't sealed, but according to eBays definition of New, it doesn't have to be, just in the retail packing. This is also a single sim version and the ad HTML states BLACK, but item specifics state its WHITE, in which I did receive white. Upon booting up the ATT symbol comes on, does that mean its locked to a carrier?

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So the phone is here, but I'm a little peeved. It wasn't sealed, but according to eBays definition of New, it doesn't have to be, just in the retail packing. This is also a single sim version and the ad HTML states BLACK, but item specifics state its WHITE, in which I did receive white. Upon booting up the ATT symbol comes on, does that mean its locked to a carrier?

Yeah, it might be. :( Try going to the dial pad and type in this code: ##7820#

If you see a padlock locked, it is locked. If it shows like it is unlocked, it is unlocked, just AT&T branded.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it might be. :( Try going to the dial pad and type in this code: ##7820#

If you see a padlock locked, it is locked. If it shows like it is unlocked, it is unlocked, just AT&T branded.

Mine shows a SIM card and locked padlock symbol over it, but phone is 100% unlocked, bought directly from MS.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine shows a SIM card and locked padlock symbol over it, but phone is 100% unlocked, bought directly from MS.

For some reason I don't get, sometimes the direct from manufacturer ones will show the lock symbol, even if they're unlocked, when you do the keypad thing.

Not sure why, I suppose it's because they've never had a code entered into them, so it shows that. Happened with Nokias as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes