950 XL Stability issues: random restarts and crashes

EN-Esty

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Since buying my Lumia 950XL a year ago it has had constant problems with random restarts and crashes. I initially attributed this to the poor beta OS software and assumed that it would eventually resolve itself as some of the other issues were indeed eventually ironed out. However, a year later the device is perhaps even more unstable. I have performed numerous soft and hard resets during this period, both restoring from previous back-ups and fresh installs and this has not resolved the issue. Furthermore, though the device has remained on the consumer build since the anniversary update, it has previously had many different OS builds installed during this period as part of the Insider Program and has stability issues throughout, leading me to believe the hardware is defective in some way.

Currently the device reboots or crashes 3-4 times a day. This often occurs during unlocking the phone but also occurs during app usage (official i.e. Edge/Messaging, and third-party i.e. Facebook Messenger), checking notifications, when receiving a phone call, or even just when the glance screen activates. There seems to be little identifiable pattern to these crashes, though occasionally the screen momentarily flashes green preceding a crash. These crashes sometimes result in the device restarting by itself but more often the screen turns off and the device is otherwise unresponsive but the battery drains rapidly and becomes very hot until it is either drained completely or the power button is held down prompting a restart. Once the device has crashed it appears to be more likely to crash again when it restarts, resulting in occasional crash loops of 4-5 restarts. These appear to happen more frequently when the device is low on battery but this may be a coincidence or is simply more noticeable because it renders the device unusable.

After finally losing my patience I recently sent the device in for an in-warranty repair with Microsofts third-party support service, B2X. Unfortunately they returned the phone without fixing or even examining the issues I'm having with the device and instead claim that the hairline crack on the display renders the device unrepairable in warranty. I have read the warranty for the device and cannot see anything to suggest that damage outside of the scope of the warranty invalidates the commitment to repair damage that should covered by the warranty, namely whatever is causing the stability issues.

I have spoken to B2X and they have simply recommended that I send the device in again though with no guarantee that anything will be different this time. I have also spoken to Microsoft's store support who were unable to help as the device is outside of the return period, but recommended I called their support number. This automated service in turn sent me back to the website which recommends that I contact B2X. At this point I am simply at a loss as to what I should do. The phone is completely unusable in this state and yet Microsoft seems content to pass me around in circles. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer advice on what to do next.

Thanks for any help.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
random shutdowns or reboots accompanied by rapid battery loss and points toward possible battery failure. manually remove your battery to check fo rany bumps or take your device for an inspection at the nearest service center.

jsfx07

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem. Replaced my battery and haven't had any problems since. Do NOT get a knock off battery, they did not help, went through 2 knock offs that made my phone over heat and crash more. I found my OEM battery on ebay from China, the ones I bought from the states (US) were the cheap knock offs.

Andriy Kosynskyy

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I was having the same problem. Replaced my battery and haven't had any problems since. Do NOT get a knock off battery, they did not help, went through 2 knock offs that made my phone over heat and crash more. I found my OEM battery on ebay from China, the ones I bought from the states (US) were the cheap knock offs.

I have exactly the same issue. Can you please share the name of eBay store you got your battery from?

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the very exact case regarding warranty of my old Lumia 720. I totally get you. I kinda feel as if it is me myself expressing all this in someone else's voice.
And about 950xl, i have had the same issues, but not as severe as yours.
At times it feels like the display has been corrupted. But then when i soft reset it, it starts working again. I never let it stay for more than a minute in that blank state ever, so i really dont know if the device gets hot or loses battery. Maybe it does lose battery... But that seems to happen after just any other restart. So that. And yes, only once it has restarted on its own. Otherwise, i have to soft reset it. It gets really scary... Coz this is exactly the way i had lost the display of my lumia 720. But it had a very tiny crack at the edge of the sceen, way way smaller than the size that could actually affect the phone in any way, at all, and they voided my warranty.

Also I have, having a bad experience like that for my Lumia 720 and 535, i did not opt for insiders on my 950xl. Hence, it has not been that bad.
Your case is different though. So i suggest you hard reset it, slect no backup, quit insider, and start over. Not sure you did that, but this time, make sure you do it with the Lumia recovery tool. Not just physical format. See if it helps.
And if it is the problem of the battery like somebody mentioned, try to get the original one. You can even ask a friend for his battery for a day and check how it does on your phone. Make sure it is original though. And if the problem still remains, i suggest you fight with them and ask them to exchange the phone. If they ask for some money coz of the crack on the screen, give them. But get it done. Or in worst case scenario, ask them only to replace the screen with original one, which won't void the warranty, and then replace the phone. You know, if it the worst case, then paying for the new screen and getting the Lumia instead ain't that bad.

Anyway, i really hope your problem gets solved. Mine never did. Although i went to use three more Lumia phones after my 720. Currently have 950xl and 830.
Good luck.
Originally posted by EN-Esty
Since buying my Lumia 950XL a year ago it has had constant problems with random restarts and crashes. I initially attributed this to the poor beta OS software and assumed that it would eventually resolve itself as some of the other issues were indeed eventually ironed out. However, a year later the device is perhaps even more unstable. I have performed numerous soft and hard resets during this period, both restoring from previous back-ups and fresh installs and this has not resolved the issue. Furthermore, though the device has remained on the consumer build since the anniversary update, it has previously had many different OS builds installed during this period as part of the Insider Program and has stability issues throughout, leading me to believe the hardware is defective in some way.

Currently the device reboots or crashes 3-4 times a day. This often occurs during unlocking the phone but also occurs during app usage (official i.e. Edge/Messaging, and third-party i.e. Facebook Messenger), checking notifications, when receiving a phone call, or even just when the glance screen activates. There seems to be little identifiable pattern to these crashes, though occasionally the screen momentarily flashes green preceding a crash. These crashes sometimes result in the device restarting by itself but more often the screen turns off and the device is otherwise unresponsive but the battery drains rapidly and becomes very hot until it is either drained completely or the power button is held down prompting a restart. Once the device has crashed it appears to be more likely to crash again when it restarts, resulting in occasional crash loops of 4-5 restarts. These appear to happen more frequently when the device is low on battery but this may be a coincidence or is simply more noticeable because it renders the device unusable.

After finally losing my patience I recently sent the device in for an in-warranty repair with Microsofts third-party support service, B2X. Unfortunately they returned the phone without fixing or even examining the issues I'm having with the device and instead claim that the hairline crack on the display renders the device unrepairable in warranty. I have read the warranty for the device and cannot see anything to suggest that damage outside of the scope of the warranty invalidates the commitment to repair damage that should covered by the warranty, namely whatever is causing the stability issues.

I have spoken to B2X and they have simply recommended that I send the device in again though with no guarantee that anything will be different this time. I have also spoken to Microsoft's store support who were unable to help as the device is outside of the return period, but recommended I called their support number. This automated service in turn sent me back to the website which recommends that I contact B2X. At this point I am simply at a loss as to what I should do. The phone is completely unusable in this state and yet Microsoft seems content to pass me around in circles. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer advice on what to do next.

Thanks for any help.

joaoalbuquerque

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I also had this problem, even with a new battery. Phone crashes, especially when unlock, or when battery levels reach below 60%, and again near 20%. It also crashed sometimes at those battery levels when using it.

I've bought recently a new battery, maybe is a fake, or OEM, but the symptom persists. A new "original" one, like the one that came with phone, is becoming harder and harder to find.

3 days ago, I tried some things with my handset and during that day, I have noticed no crashes until the end of the original battery charge. I've used some apps, and then left the phone running the Euronews app Live TV until the end of charge.

Those steps I've done may look ridiculous, or unnecessary, but I guess somehow might have helped, at least, worked for me.

Steps:

1. Discharge your battery completely on your phone. Try to reach at least, 2% and let your phone turn off by itself or turn it off manually.

2. Remove the battery, and press your Phone's on/off switch for at least 15 seconds. This may clear some residual charge in the phone's components.

3. Using the original Microsoft charger that came with your phone, or a similar powerful charger, (with the battery out of your phone), plug in the charger. You will notice that Phone vibrates and a battery sign with a centered cross will show up on screen after 10 or 15 seconds. Let the sign go off and unplug the phone from charger. Press your phone's on/off switch again for at least 15 seconds and leave your phone without battery for 2, or more, hours.

4. In my case, steps 1, 2, and 3 where not enough. So, here comes a hack:
Discharge your battery using a small 3V light bulb from a flashlight. BE CAREFUL to not short circuit the battery - If you short circuit the battery, it may explode or cause a fire - Do this at your own risk, and never let the battery unsupervised during this process.
Check how I did it in the photo:
_CE__DSC0559_400x262.jpg

5. The original battery, or at least mine, turns the light on and sometime later goes off. You may think it's discharged but the light comes on again, after some time goes off again, and on, and off... This cycle time between on and off tends to increase as the battery loses it's charge.
The new battery (OEM) does not do this. When the bulb is off, does not come on again.

6. Put the discharged battery on your phone again and plug in the charger. You will notice the battery charging sign. That sign will go off and the Phone will turn on after some minutes but leave your Phone alone until charge is 100% complete.

7. After charging, unplug the charger. I noticed, with my old battery, the charge falls out very quickly from 100% to around 90%, maybe in less than 10 minutes - Might be an indicator that battery is worn out. - Use your phone until the end of the charge, maybe using a Live TV app like I did, and see if it crashes.

My Phone did not crash. I could see the Low Battery signs that I almost forgot they existed. I've charged the second battery (the new one) and this is the second day using my Phone with this new battery. I guess this one is an OEM after all. Not a single crash when unlocking and no reboots. - 2 days with a charge it's not bad, I guess...

On 10% battery charge the "Critically Low Battery" warning came up. I guess my Phone is now working as expected.

Cheers from Portugal.

Thanks for any help.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The random restarts and freezes is one of the reasons I've paused using my 950XL for awhile now.... I still use it as secondary phone but I have to say overall I definitely enjoy my 920 much more than the 950XL, just a much more solid phone all-around. Really hope they can recreate the magic with the Surface Phone (if it ever happens)

RupertL

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
I have had exactly the same situation with my 950XL and have sent it to B2X 3 times. I have a new OEM battery from replacebase.co.uk already. Each time they promise to fix it but then return it un-repaired except that I have been forced to pay for a small crack in the screen to be fixed. B2X have said 'sorry' again and want me to send it in again. I'm sick of it. I cant believe how poor the customer service is to resolve an issue which is clearly happening across a significant number of their 'flagship phone' users. I hate the time I've wasted with it.

What I have noticed is there is a moment after you use the recovery tool, but before the subsequent updates, that it doesn't crash so it must be a software issue or perhaps faulty hardware that cant deal with the latest updates.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had two kinds of battery problems on the XL. One is the typical battery swollen. The other is bad connections. I think my universal extra battery charger has caused the connections on the battery to spread out and loose grip on the pins from the phone. The way to test is hold the phone upside down and gently tap it on a solid surface or tap it with one hand while holding with other. Gravity will make the battery disconnect and the phone reboot. With the battery out of the phone, I have carefully used a miniature tool and magnifying class to CAREFULLY squeeze the contacts on the battery together to increase the pressure on the phone pins. I have had luck doing this. I hope this helps someone.

RupertL

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Now B2X have replaced the whole phone and it still doesn't work with a battery from replacebase.co.uk. Now have another battery on order from Onogo but if anyone can recommend a supplier to the UK that has a battery that works please help.

ThijssjihT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly my issue, rebooting, heating up, the green flash on the display, everything. At this moment, I am discharging my battery with a 3V light bulb. Doesn't turn off and on again. It is just on.

I had contact with B2X for the 3rd time. The guy told me to include a paper with the issue written down with my phone when I send it for repairs. They didn't tell me the first 2 times. I will send them my phone soon, if the discharging doesn't solve my problems.

I would really like to hear from you, when the issue is resolved for you.

Edit:
Discharging to 2.7V completely destroyed my phone.

Last edited:

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Had a similar issue that ended up being the charger. It was under warranty still and returned to Microsoft Store and got everything replaced. The charger will make a very very faint whistle if that is the problem.

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for posting this thread! My 950XL was the phone I loved but hated having to reset it 10-15 times a day. I never knew when I pushed the power button if I was going to get my lock screen or a frozen black screen. Random reboots, crashes, insanity and total unreliable. Photos ruined, etc. Replaced the battery with a genuine Microsoft battery I found on eBay and put it on the charger until full. I ran it for 16 hours of moderate use without a single hiccup. Ran it dry and now it's recharging. I'm amazed that a failing battery caused me all that grief. $25 well spent for me -I'm not ready to be pushed into Android. On a side note, I had to get my screen replaced by that warranty outfit a year ago, months later, I realized that the selfie camera did not work. Thinking they goofed something up, it's a good thing I'm not a teenage girl. :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I also had this problem, even with a new battery. Phone crashes, especially when unlock, or when battery levels reach below 60%, and again near 20%. It also crashed sometimes at those battery levels when using it.

I've bought recently a new battery, maybe is a fake, or OEM, but the symptom persists. A new "original" one, like the one that came with phone, is becoming harder and harder to find.

3 days ago, I tried some things with my handset and during that day, I have noticed no crashes until the end of the original battery charge. I've used some apps, and then left the phone running the Euronews app Live TV until the end of charge.

Those steps I've done may look ridiculous, or unnecessary, but I guess somehow might have helped, at least, worked for me.

Steps:

1. Discharge your battery completely on your phone. Try to reach at least, 2% and let your phone turn off by itself or turn it off manually.

2. Remove the battery, and press your Phone's on/off switch for at least 15 seconds. This may clear some residual charge in the phone's components.

3. Using the original Microsoft charger that came with your phone, or a similar powerful charger, (with the battery out of your phone), plug in the charger. You will notice that Phone vibrates and a battery sign with a centered cross will show up on screen after 10 or 15 seconds. Let the sign go off and unplug the phone from charger. Press your phone's on/off switch again for at least 15 seconds and leave your phone without battery for 2, or more, hours.

4. In my case, steps 1, 2, and 3 where not enough. So, here comes a hack:
Discharge your battery using a small 3V light bulb from a flashlight. BE CAREFUL to not short circuit the battery - If you short circuit the battery, it may explode or cause a fire - Do this at your own risk, and never let the battery unsupervised during this process.
Check how I did it in the photo:
View attachment 135366

5. The original battery, or at least mine, turns the light on and sometime later goes off. You may think it's discharged but the light comes on again, after some time goes off again, and on, and off... This cycle time between on and off tends to increase as the battery loses it's charge.
The new battery (OEM) does not do this. When the bulb is off, does not come on again.

6. Put the discharged battery on your phone again and plug in the charger. You will notice the battery charging sign. That sign will go off and the Phone will turn on after some minutes but leave your Phone alone until charge is 100% complete.

7. After charging, unplug the charger. I noticed, with my old battery, the charge falls out very quickly from 100% to around 90%, maybe in less than 10 minutes - Might be an indicator that battery is worn out. - Use your phone until the end of the charge, maybe using a Live TV app like I did, and see if it crashes.

My Phone did not crash. I could see the Low Battery signs that I almost forgot they existed. I've charged the second battery (the new one) and this is the second day using my Phone with this new battery. I guess this one is an OEM after all. Not a single crash when unlocking and no reboots. - 2 days with a charge it's not bad, I guess...

On 10% battery charge the "Critically Low Battery" warning came up. I guess my Phone is now working as expected.

Cheers from Portugal.

This is very interesting to read. I just thought it happened to me because I was on the Fast Ring. I still have the original OEM battery and get random resets and restarts. After each one, the battery plummets, so I think you may be on to something here.

123user

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I had the same issues exactly until I replaced the battery (3 times)
2 batteries I bought from e-bay but didn't resolve the issue (they claim it is an OEM)

the 3rd one was not an OEM battery from amazon but it resolved all my problems with the phone, now I'm planning to get the same one as a backup just in case this one failed

here is the link if you like to buy it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DGSST7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon