Hello Everyone. Introduction and a question.

beto molina

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
I debated putting this post in the introduction section but since I also have a question about Windws on a phone and about the Alcatel Idol, I decided to post it here. Mods, please feel free to correct me if this is inappropriate :)
First of all, I'm 50ish from the SW USA. I've made chips at Intel, loved tech all my life and am a long time user of cellular phones. But, I've never had a Windows phone before. I'm really interested in the Idol 4s and have gone as far as confirming that the not so local T-Mobile store has them in stock. I did read on another thread that 2 members here got discounts by going through the online T-Mobile store so that has to be looked into as well.

First however, would the members here be so kind as to enlighten me as to why they use Windows Mobile? Are there advantages to using WM over Android or Apple? If so, what would those be please? As a long time user of Android for a phone and Windows for a PC, I can see where android just doesn't do some things I wish it did. Continuum sounds simply fascinating and I hope to try it soon.
Are your choices to use Windows for a phone more of a personal or possibly emotional decision or is WM just better? I understand all about the gap in applications and frankly, that is not important to me, the only app I'll miss is possibly snapchat. I'm also not much of a gamer.
So, why do I need a windows phone in my life? What are the advantages Windows bring to the table over Android, Apart from the app's, what are the negatives to WM? Help me...I need conversion hehe.
Any and all replies would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you
Anthony

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally, Anthony I really like the live tiles and the metro interface of windows10 mobile vs android I don't like the interface and IOS seems dull and lifeless to me. I also like the productivity apps included like office and excel, and one note. I also love the lumia camera, best phone camera bar none that I have used and like the instant synchronization with one drive and surface pro 4. it just works for me , and its fluid and easy to use right out of the gate. Also set up the same as windows 10 on pc & tablet. + it has continuum mode on 950XL and Alcatel Idol 4s & HP x3 which iam getting ready to try tomorrow and will report back after I use it. Hope this helps you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@beto molina Welcome to Windows Central.

For me, Windows on a phone brings the information I care about to the surface more readily than any other current OS. Live Tiles, the info on Lock Screen, Notifications... I see what I want at a glance and can quickly delve in for more detail. I find it superior for organizing my life and work. Cortana enthralls me with how helpful she is.

IMHO, Android is all about consumption. Windows Phone is all about keeping on top of things you need and want to.

Now with Windows 10 Mobile the integration with PC is just getting better and better. Yet another way to accomplish.

The negatives are, obviously, lack of support from 3rd parties. It's sort of tough having a device nobody knows about LOL. Accessories that are form fit may be harder to come by. Some things such as Bluetooth or NFC items might not play as nice (a common example is a BT selfie stick, the trigger does nothing on WP). It's not necessarily the device and/or OS so much as the platform being ignored by whomever develops whatever widget. So even for those of us who don't need a lot of Apps, there still are areas that you might suddenly find yourself cut out of.

Idol 4S Windows is a beast of a device. Great value for the money, IMHO. There are some tradeoffs to make that price point though: no NFC, no Qi, 1080p screen. But what it does have (SoC, RAM, Storage, build quality) still make it a great choice.

Good Luck.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes, welcome @beto molina to Windows Central!

I think it's great that you're asking these questions. I don't think I can add much here but I hope that the replies here would help you out here.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

There are a couple of reasons why I stay on W10M. A few of the main ones are:

Start screen:
I much prefer the visuals of the start screen vs. static app icons and widgets that never seem to look right together, no matter how hard I try.

Bluetooth SMS: I tried switching to android a year or so ago and this turned out to be a big issue for me... On WP, I have my phone connected to my car through Bluetooth and it reads text messages to me, allows me to reply, and I can even start a new text message by simply "calling Cortana" (on my old car I could hit a button and say "call cortana", my new car doesn't have that option, but I have Cortana as a favorite on the radio so I can call her.... Not only can you do SMS, but you can also make reminders... all hands free so you aren't breaking any local laws. The closest option I had on android was it would read aloud the text as it came in, but I then only had a couple of canned responses I could reply with by hitting buttons on the car radio. Maybe Android has made this better by now?

Xbox: While there aren't a ton of W10M games out there that support Xbox achievements, a couple will pop up every now and then. These are typically my go-to, time-killer games while out and about (stuck in lines at the store, waiting for someone to arrive, etc.) I might be a little over-obsessed, but since I started using WP, back in the days of WP7, I find it hard to play a game without XBL integration. Last night I finally completed Hamster Universe for 200 GS. That game was hours of blood, sweat, and tears.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ,sinime for the Bluetooth SMS comments, I have to agree that at least on Chevy/GM cars the Bluetooth/hands free integration is very good with my windows phones.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi Anthony,

I have been using windows phones for a little while now. Started with win 8.1 on a Lumia, and now am happily using W10 mobile on an Alcatel idol 4s. Here are some of the reasons I use windows phone.

UI - tile interface is to me the best phone interface, icons and widgets are too clumsy in my opinion. The organization of tiles to me is great and can resize tiles to make the more used apps easier to access, and of course to display live tile information.

Integration with my Windows 10 PC/tablets. Cortana alone is a huge benefit as it works across devices. I will set reminders on my pc at night for the next morning at work and my phone reminds me when I get there. Same thing for timed reminders. Other apps do this, Duo lingo often reminds me that I have not met my daily goal on my PC...

Continuum - I am "this close" to abandoning my pc's and going with the computer in my pocket... It actually will not totally work because I still have some x86 applications that I run. But over the next several months I may try to push this idea.

And lastly for me there is a little of its not Apple and its not Android. I am not a big fan of either's interface, and I particularly don't like Apple devices. They are way overpriced for what you get IMO.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ,sinime for the Bluetooth SMS comments, I have to agree that at least on Chevy/GM cars the Bluetooth/hands free integration is very good with my windows phones.

I guess I should add that my car is a VW Passat with the stock stereo with a touchscreen, which works well.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Windows on a Phone to me is just simple. The OS has a way of integrating all the things you would get from an Android OS but does it better in my opinion. Apple IOS does this well too, but lacks certain flavor and characteristics that only Windows will have. It really is simplistic the way it should be. I mean if I needed to spend more than 5 minutes on my phone doing one thing I would be better off using the PC for that or better yet the phone with continuum :). That is why they are mobile, and used whenever we need or wherever we are. I get all my email, information, photos etc. along with all I need from the apps I use, and I use them fluidly and easily.
I cannot say this for sure, but if you have a PC running Windows 10, and you are fluent on it, I bet you will have no problems using a Alcatel Idol 4s if that is what you choose. The pursuit Microsoft has with their one core OS is starting to shine here on the mobile platform. Like stated above it is starting to get better and better.

beto molina

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all. I'm also wondering if it would be better to wait for windows on ARM to come out? Or is not waiting just an excuse to have fun with two new phones instead of one? :cool:

beto molina

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Moot point now. T-Mobile, the ever friendly uncarrier, refused to sell me one full price over the phone. Maybe if I get unmad enough I'll drive the 35 miles one way to the brick and mortar store to buy one. Otherwise, I've started reading up on the 950XL

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I saw that in the other thread. Sounds like you were the victim of someone trying to fill a quota by slamming current users to One.

Should not have happened. :shocked:
It appears that, if you try to buy it online, it forces you into that plan. That's a change from when I purchased mine. Maybe that's their way of recovering the discount. Not cool.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile, the ever friendly uncarrier, refused to sell me one full price over the phone.
I generally find it better to NOT say disparaging things about the rep's mother or to ask if they take stolen credit cards.

But seriously, why would they refuse to sell you a phone? Did you need it shipped to a different address than the card billing address or something?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Otherwise, I've started reading up on the 950XL
I have both (one is my wife's) and prefer the 950XL. They have different strengths so maybe as many would prefer one as the other if they were given one for free. But I doubt many would prefer the 950XL if it cost them $211 more than the Idol as it does now. I don't think either is worth more than $200 than the other. I was lucky to get the 950XL on a Christmas sale for $4 LESS than the current Idol price. They are $500 now.

But you can get a gray market 950XL without a warranty for around $300, not much more than the Idol from T-Mobile, if you don't mind the risk. $200 is a lot to pay extra for a warranty on a phone you can buy for $300 without a warranty.

Last edited:

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Moot point now. T-Mobile, the ever friendly uncarrier, refused to sell me one full price over the phone. Maybe if I get unmad enough I'll drive the 35 miles one way to the brick and mortar store to buy one. Otherwise, I've started reading up on the 950XL

I know it is more expensive, but it is available carrier unlocked at the Microsoft store online ($470). You should also keep an eye on it, as I could see the Microsoft store following T-Mobiles lead, maybe. I am also wondering if it will show up at some place like B&H or Newegg..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon