High battery consumption on Microsoft To-Do

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
I just checked the battery usage per app trying to resolve shorter than expected battery life.
Edge topped the list at 47% of the usage, this is no surprise since that's what I'm using most of the time and includes streaming video.
Microsoft To-Do came in 2nd place at 26% far ahead of any other app which are all much less than 10%. The thing is, I have not opened this app at all during this time period nor has it been opened on any other device. I have had no reminders of any tasks during this time either.
I have left this to be running as "Managed by Windows". I supposed I could turn off the background running, but this would disable reminders of stuff that I have to do, which kind of misses the point.

Is this normal behaviour for To-Do? Why is it consuming so much battery?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just checked the battery usage per app trying to resolve shorter than expected battery life.
Edge topped the list at 47% of the usage, this is no surprise since that's what I'm using most of the time and includes streaming video.
Microsoft To-Do came in 2nd place at 26% far ahead of any other app which are all much less than 10%. The thing is, I have not opened this app at all during this time period nor has it been opened on any other device. I have had no reminders of any tasks during this time either.
I have left this to be running as "Managed by Windows". I supposed I could turn off the background running, but this would disable reminders of stuff that I have to do, which kind of misses the point.

Is this normal behaviour for To-Do? Why is it consuming so much battery?

Percentages say little about "how much". If you stopped Edge and others, To-Do would be a 100%. Telling users what phone, etc. you're using may improve the responses. App background and location settings are important for battery use, and background-off setting usually doesn't affect app functionality.

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
This one happens to be Lumia 950, but I suspect it's the same with my other Windows 10 Lumia's.
Sure, if I never used any other app, "To-Do" would be 100%, but the point is I did not use "To-Do", as I said, I never opened it up during that period, I used mostly Edge, myTube, News, etc. and most of them show pretty low usage except for Edge. Again, no surprise since I know the bulk of my time was on Edge. I was definitely NOT using To-Do. It should have been near 0% other than some background tasks if it needs to sync.

Since I never opened up the app during that period, it stands to reason all that power consumption was due to the app running in the background. If I stopped it from running in the background, presumably the usage would be 0% if I never opened it up. But then in this case, it would be impossible for it to pop up reminders for Tasks that are due, no? Unless disabling background running doesn't actually disable background running...

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
This one happens to be Lumia 950, but I suspect it's the same with my other Windows 10 Lumia's.
Sure, if I never used any other app, "To-Do" would be 100%, but the point is I did not use "To-Do", as I said, I never opened it up during that period, I used mostly Edge, myTube, News, etc. and most of them show pretty low usage except for Edge. Again, no surprise since I know the bulk of my time was on Edge. I was definitely NOT using To-Do. It should have been near 0% other than some background tasks if it needs to sync.

Since I never opened up the app during that period, it stands to reason all that power consumption was due to the app running in the background. If I stopped it from running in the background, presumably the usage would be 0% if I never opened it up. But then in this case, it would be impossible for it to pop up reminders for Tasks that are due, no? Unless disabling background running doesn't actually disable background running...

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I use a 950 daily. I'm retired, so I don't use To-Do much (for 3 shopping lists only) and rarely check battery usage, mostly because replaceable batteries means I've never worried much about battery usage: I simply replaced it on very busy days or occasions. I don't have To-Do running in the background, and I can tell you that the alarm sound does work nevertheless, though I only tested it once, and I don't know what other notifications may be available that you'd have to test. I have very few apps running in the background or using location. Generally, no-background apps will still work normally, but you will not get (certain?) notifications. BTW, I'm using this replacement battery, and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-3200...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3834871 I also have an original as my back-up, but it definitely works less well. The replacement is not cheap, but I'll get another one if the original starts failing: My last original swelled up about a year ago and I tossed it. Note that my replacement battery is slightly bigger than the original, but it just requires a little extra tugging in and out; but, again, it does run all day for my usage, and they may not come slightly bigger normally. This Taeozi is the first and only non-Microsoft battery I've used on the 950 -happy it's out there, and thank you, Taeozi. You may want to put one on your To-Do list :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss