The end of 10 inch?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Two things are expected to happen by the end of this year. First, that Windows Blue will reduce W8's minimum screen resolution to 1024x768 and that Microsoft/OEMs will release 7 inch tablets. Now, it's no surprise that Windows RT is struggling to gain a foothold in the market with cost being one of the biggest deterrents. 7-inch tablets should help to rectify the pricing problem due to reduced production costs. For that reason I foresee a RT hardware boom with a swarm of 7-inch tablets hitting the market. However, I see little reason why OEMs will keep producing 10-inch Windows RT tablets. Standard Windows 8 tablets have already hit the $500 dollar mark. That's cheaper than the launch prices for Windows RT tablets. And while some doubt the ability of the Atom CPU to handle Windows 8, the next iteration of Atom chips should eliminate most (if not all) criticisms of current Atom chips. That leaves little reason for OEMs to release a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/VivoTab-RT-TF600T-B1-GR-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B009F1INL8/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365713392&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+rt&t=wpcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1947530]$400 10-inch RT tablet[/URL] when a much better product can be had for only $100 bucks more. That's definitely a tough sell for both the consumer and OEM. I think it's very possible that OEMs will abandon the 10-inch RT market. What say you?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you might be on to something. It seems that the tablets other than iPad that sell most tend to be less expensive 7" tablets.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I certainly hope not. Of course this is just personal preference. I had a kindle before I got my Surface. While it's nice for reading and some games, it's too small for other tasks that I need to do. Especially the work related ones. It's much easier and more pleasant on the 10 inch Surface.

But if things do head in that direction, I'm glad I got mine while they are still making them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes