Do not ignore this feature: Wifi-Direct

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I hope that Microsoft/Nokia will give Wifi-Direct (or project my screen or miracast or screen mirroring or compatible Bluetooth software for NFC connection on TV) for compatible windows phones. If Microsoft don't do it then must explain us why the wp8 mobiles (eg: Lumia920) has hardware and can't be fully used. I am waiting for new good news :).

Amongst other things, Miracast requires a new driver model. There's almost no return on investment for Microsoft to spend the time to write drivers for hardware they won't be utilizing much longer anyway. (As anything new will use a Snapdragon 400, 600, or 800 - not the Snapdragon S4 that older devices use).

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In addition to that, the hardware used in most current Windows Phones does not support WiFi-Direct. WiFi-Direct is required for Miracast support so there is no way (driver updates or not) to get Miracast working on those phones. The exceptions are the Lumia 1520, 930, and Icon which use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. That is the only chipset supporting WiFi-Direct that is used in a Windows Phone as far as I know.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
In addition to that, the hardware used in most current Windows Phones does not support WiFi-Direct. WiFi-Direct is required for Miracast support so there is no way (driver updates or not) to get Miracast working on those phones. The exceptions are the Lumia 1520, 930, and Icon which use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. That is the only chipset supporting WiFi-Direct that is used in a Windows Phone as far as I know.

The snapdragon S4 has built-in support for miracast. Not sure about Wifi-Direct. Regardless, the xbox doesn't support any miracast or wifi-direct playback so the whole point is mute for now :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon