Microsoft says they will discuss their indie strat. soon.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for this announcement because it's guaranteed to correlate with the Windows 8 app compatibility teasers from the Build Conference.

I can't wait for the Xbox to become the house computer. With Kinect + connected standby, there are many things you could control with your voice without needing any screen output (the television doesn't need to be turned on)

"Xbox, house alarm on"
"Xbox, play workout playlist"
"Xbox, bedroom lights off"
"Xbox, start dishwasher"
"Xbox, wake up the kids"
"Xbox, flush toilet" ;)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for this announcement because it's guaranteed to correlate with the Windows 8 app compatibility teasers from the Build Conference.

I can't wait for the Xbox to become the house computer. With Kinect + connected standby, there are many things you could control with your voice without needing any screen output (the television doesn't need to be turned on)

"Xbox, house alarm on"
"Xbox, play workout playlist"
"Xbox, bedroom lights off"
"Xbox, start dishwasher"
"Xbox, wake up the kids"
"Xbox, flush toilet" ;)

Im waiting for this - Stand in kitchen "xbox onenote" "xbox shopping list" then just look through my cupboards and call out everything I need. Get to the store then pull up the list on my phone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Im waiting for this - Stand in kitchen "xbox onenote" "xbox shopping list" then just look through my cupboards and call out everything I need. Get to the store then pull up the list on my phone.

Yeah, then the phone deletes items it deems too unhealthy for you to purchase. Then it turns the floor into a treadmill to force you to exercise. Then it kills you.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Haha ive just spent the last three months on a diet and exercise plan to get myself from over 14st down to 12st 6. Nothing unhealthy enters my body anymore ;-) Even kicked the habit and gave up smoking. My MS products would be kind to me.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's actually already been confirmed. Unlike the last time they changed their mind, this is unquestionably a good change. (Depending on who you are, the last changed decision could go either way.)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I was just coming to post the update.

From Xbox VP Marc Whitten

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August."

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Indie development on Xbox One sounds much more exciting than PS4. Can you imagine what indie devs can do with Kinect and SmartGlass, or even through Project Spark (albeit a more uniform 'platform')? I am genuinely excited about the prospects, and I hope MS can link those indie devs to seamlessly develop for Windows 8/RT and Phone too.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in. I see a lot of people saying this move was "backtracking", "changing their minds", or copying.

If you truly think that this wasn't being planned for a long time, and if you think that they really were against self publishing, then you are misinformed. They have had this in their vision the whole time lol

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I was just coming to post the update.

From Xbox VP Marc Whitten

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August."

That is pretty significant to adopt a similar dev kit strategy as Ouya for a home console that is a household name. If the initial development fees are reasonable, then indies would have to be foolish (a.k.a. elitist or harboring resentment for past mistakes to the detriment of themselves and their product) to ignore the Xbox One now.

So technically, if this is another 180, then they are up to 360 now, bring back family share and lets make it a 540 to avoid confusion with the current console :eek:rly:

I agree with you, though, Robert. These changes in direction were already well underway when they made their announcements at E3, whether or not they would make the changes depended on the reactions that they would get. They were probably as vague as possible on purpose so that their research could simply be outsourced to the audience that these features would cater to.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seems a lot of indie developers are mad as f*** because the XB1 dev kit only allows you to target WinRT APIs?

How so?

Phil Spencer @XboxP3 @GeorgeTeV Goals is to allow devs access to full pool of resources available, no indie RAM limit.

Xbox One: No 3GB RAM Limit for Indies, Digital Features to be Pushed - Spencer - Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides

EDIT: Seems a lot of indie devs are ****-hurt because Microsoft is proving them wrong, so they are desperately searching for excuses to continue defaming "The Man" and justify their stance to not develop for Xbox One.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes