Was looking at some of the game videos over the weekend..

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I must say some of the titles coming out on the XB1 are amazing. I may just have to ditch the keyboard and mouse and become a console player. I did order the Dead Rising 3 title when I ordered my XB1 just for kicks. I like to beat down Zombies.

I play a lot of MMPRPG PvP but they may as well be Zombies the way they play.

the-joker-laughing-o.gif

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not at all interested in DR3, however I preordered Forza 5 and Battlefield 4, and will likely grab Titanfall around the holidays!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not actually preordering anything for the xbox one - going all digital - when I get that baby home and fired up I want to see a catalogue of choice from the store.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They're supposed to, yes. I'm debating the all-digital route myself. I like having discs, though. Also, I wonder how big the install size, because with the data caps companies are now looking at on home Internet (AT&T DSL has a 150-GB cap, U-Serve's cap is 250 GB), it could be trouble.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe both new consoles will have digital versions of their games on date of release. Microsoft made a big deal about it in their reveals of the console. As did Sony with the PS4

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Semi-off-topic: I saw the hardware requirements for Battlefield 4 for PC today, and it's not good. The PC version requires 30 GB of HDD space to install. Man, that's worse than the high-end of what I expected with Xbox One games (20 GB or so). If that translates anywhere CLOSE to the install size on consoles, we're in a lot of trouble. I mean, that'd mean probably 12 games or so MAX, at least retail games. That they skimped on the HDD size is ridiculous. At least Sony allows for HDD swapping by the user.

Oh, heck. Watch as people fill up their consoles' HDDs in 6 months, which will then force them to spend something like $200 for a 1-TB hard drive that you can get for $60 on Newegg.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how PS4s HDD swapping is any better than USB3 supported external HDDs of the Xbox One.

But yes, both devices have default HDD size quite ridicilously small. Not sure about the PS4, but since Xbox One apparently requires all games to be installed on HDD, disc or not, it seems like a short sighted decision.. or then a smart business decision to force us to buy stuff in addition to the console, but since X1 supports USB3 external HDDs, it''s not like the money will fall into MSs pockets anyways.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope so - or the xbox one launch party at my house will be over pretty quick.

Considering no one knows how long it will take to DL enough of the game that you can start playing (I believe I read that the entire game doesn't have to DL for you to start playing) you may have a boring launch party if all digital... Also, how many people at once are going to be DL'ing games on launch day, there may be an internet traffic jam.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how PS4s HDD swapping is any better than USB3 supported external HDDs of the Xbox One.

But yes, both devices have default HDD size quite ridicilously small. Not sure about the PS4, but since Xbox One apparently requires all games to be installed on HDD, disc or not, it seems like a short sighted decision.. or then a smart business decision to force us to buy stuff in addition to the console, but since X1 supports USB3 external HDDs, it''s not like the money will fall into MSs pockets anyways.

The problem there is that it was announced that the One won't launch with external HDD support, nor did they give a timeframe for its addition. Yes, it's pretty unlikely gamers will fill up the console in 6 months or so (I'd imagine we get support before then), but that's still ridiculous. Also, do we know if the external support will be improved from the 360, and to what extent? The 360 maxes out at 32 GB per device, and allows only 2 devices (might be a 16-GB limit), so if it's anything CLOSE to that, we have a problem. Of course, there's still the matter of bulk and inconvenience.

The PS4 will let you put in a bigger HDD, not a problem. The external solution on the One would mean having another device up and running, one that isn't under the One's warranty. If people are careless (and, as history shows, they are), we could see HDDs getting knocked over and ruined. Oh, and I don't know that a game install is REQUIRED. They said that things would function just like they did on 360, no? We can run games solely from the disc on the 360, so that might still be an option (wonder how multitasking might be affected with that--would the disc tray keep spinning the game in the background while you played a digital one?).

It would have been SO much better if Microsoft had just spent what was likely another $10 to give us all terabyte hard drives, though. If these games are 30 GB in size, this will be hell. Personally, I have 35-40 game discs, plus a few digital ones, plus some Arcade ones. Just the retail games would total about 1.2 TB, if the 30-GB limit is typical. Yes, that's after more than 7 years, but if people start going all-digital, they won't be trading in games as much, meaning more games left on the storage device. I dislike this idea that we have to buy the Kinect, pay $100 more for the console as a result, then we might have to throw down another $100-150 for another HDD after a year.

Consoles are supposed to offer price and convenience advantages over gaming PCs, and these things are making it a legitimate question as to whether or not those advantages still exist.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the game I'm looking forward to is that cutesy Ubisoft title. Child of Light was it?

Haven't been enough fairy princess games since Kameo.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd much rather have the ability to plug in an external drive than have to replace the internal one. I'm going all digital and expect to have to plug in another drive some day but don't see this as a problem at all.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, it shouldn't be an either-or option. At launch, the One is a neither device, while the PS4 is likely a "both" device. I'm not saying don't allow externals, I'm saying that the internal is insufficient, and the idea that we're going to now put ANOTHER $100+6 into a console we paid a $100 premium on is a crappy thought. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see the install sizes more in the range of 15-20 GB though. In that case, we're talking 20-25 games, which is likely a wait of a few years (when HDDs at 1 TB or more might fall to sub-$100).

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought both the XB1 and the PS4 required games to be installed locally? It kinda makes sense as the consoles get more and more powerfull you don't want to be bottlenecked by the read time on a BlueRay drive... (or maybe it can keep up, I dunno.)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know either, but Microsoft said that their system was going to be the same as the 360, where the spin-up still existed.

I think that was just for the first time playing... While the game gets cozy on the HD

But, that brings up an interesting point... So u buy a new game, put the disc in and start playing... Phone rings, your presence is requested elsewhere so you shut the One off... With its always on feature, does it continue to install while "off", cancel install, or pick up installing where it left off next time you power it up?... Not a big deal, but I can see the One doing option a and Sony doing option B or C.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I must say some of the titles coming out on the XB1 are amazing. I may just have to ditch the keyboard and mouse and become a console player.

I've been a hardcore PC gamer as well as console user for years now. The Xbox One and PS4 are just catching up to what a higher end PC could do. The xbox one is just a midline PC with a good video card (in a nut shell when it comes to specs). They devs have not been pushing it any bit on the PC because they create a game for cross platform. As soon as more native games come out for the X1 and PS4, the PC will be the one to beat, as normal.

If you want the best detail you can possibly get, the Xbox one is great but, the PC will be unbeatable. Take a look at Crysis 3 on a PC in Ultra mode, then take a 2nd look at some of the games for the Xbox one and PS4....You'll see what I mean.

but, No question I will get a X1 and a PS4, because I love sitting on my couch playing games on a huge tv (65") vs my 23" computer monitor..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3