Xbox One june Update. External HD support and more

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the fuss. Most people wont spend ages going over specs, or spend the money on an ssd, they'll buy cheap drives that will end up performing worse than the oem drive.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you buy any USB 3.0 external, you're fine. I don't know what makes you think HDDs have some sweeping variance in quality. It's basically pick a Seagate or Western Digital external, and that's it. They're basically the only real people in the game, and they're about equal in quality, depending on who you talk to. Regardless, it's more abotu having a mass storage option where you can put games and their saves when you're done, or something where you can take games/save to a friend's, rather than waiting on a 30-GB+ install over DSL.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the fuss. Most people wont spend ages going over specs, or spend the money on an ssd, they'll buy cheap drives that will end up performing worse than the oem drive.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Yeah, as long as it's USB3-supporting external you should be fine. The OEM drive is only 5400 RPM anyways, I doubt you can even get an external USB3 drive that would be slower than that.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
iFixIt had the Xbox One's drive as a 3.0 Gb/s SATA II hard drive, while USB 3.0 has a peak speak of 5 Gb/s, so I would refute that claim. Odds are, the SATA II bottleneck in the console keeps the external and internal drives at about the same speed quality, though externals have a tendency to fall asleep, so it might cause latency if you aren't constantly accessing it.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Obviously Microsoft is going to release their own 1st party external HD for the one. I expect it to be announced at E3, released within weeks. along with the update that will bring that and probably 1 or 2 more features.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Obviously Microsoft is going to release their own 1st party external HD for the one. I expect it to be announced at E3, released within weeks. along with the update that will bring that and probably 1 or 2 more features.

They may but I am willing to bet you can use any USB 3.0 drive. They seem to be out for blood this time with Sony. They are going to make it as easy as possible for consumers. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get this feeling we will be seeing a new attitude from Microsoft this time.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
They may but I am willing to bet you can use any USB 3.0 drive. They seem to be out for blood this time with Sony. They are going to make it as easy as possible for consumers. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get this feeling we will be seeing a new attitude from Microsoft this time.

I'm sure they will let you use any USB 3.0 device. There is no way they are going to let an opportunity to sell you one go by the wayside. It will cost more, but it will look like it was made to be there.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it'll be just like the 360. They had flash drive support for all, but they still released their own OFFICIAL flash drives. Expect the same thing to happen here.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe they've already stated that any USB 3.0 drive will work. If I'm correct - we've known that since they announced the external drive support.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Xbox Live's Major Nelson » External Storage, Real Names and More Coming with Xbox One System Update in June :

External Storage confirmed for June update.

Now all we need is proper DLNA support and i would say the console would be where i expected it to be a launch :p

I'm going to go ahead and say we will get the DLNA update in Aug or Sept.

The thing I'm most excited about is the Universal Remote Control feature in Smartglass. I can select and play recordings using my tablet or Windows Phone? That is awesome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes