Xbox one bug...Controller sort of works....WTF ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Last night I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on my Xbox one...I am about 51% through it (BTW really enjoying it). Then all of a sudden my right stick stopped working (right in the middle of a game), I could no longer target/aim in my game I was playing. WTF ? So I exited, tried in the menus, nothing. If I push down on the stick, it works fine but, moving does nothing, and it did nothing in the menus.

I tried to (after a correct shut down), unplugged the Xbox one and removed the battery from the controller (then held the power on the controller for 10 seconds to make sure it was clean). I left them unplugged for about 10 min. When I re-connect power, I re-synced the controller. Tried my game, same result.

So I figured I would try to update the controller (I always do that, so I figured I would try), I get into that menu, Using the RIGHT STICK WORKED (I was able to toggle Update/Cancel with the right stick) there was no update for my controller. Still in the game, no change, on the home page on the Xbox one, I cant move around between things with the right stick as I have in the past.

So, at this point I see the controller IS working fine but, it's not working in a game. So I ended up calling Xbox support (talked to a guy name Sean, Great support, really good, I was impressed). We tried a ton of things, even everything I tried, again, and finally, we put in a different game... put in a COD game and it started working. After that trying Rise again, it seems to be working now.

Very odd problem for sure....Not sure if it was a Rise issue, or a Xbox issue...

Question I have for Xbox one oweners, When you turn on your Xbox one, can you navigate through the menus using the RIGHT STICK or only the left stick ?

I can get around the menus with the left stick fine but, I thought I was able to use both sticks to get around the menus....maybe I am over thinking it...

By the Way, this is a Day One Xbox one, using the Day one controller, I dont have a second one (I am the only one in the home who plays, it and when friends come over, they KNOW they have to bring a controller for multi-player)

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
First thing I did was order another controller. I also bought a scuf. I have the day one edition as well and did not think twice about leaving that controller alone.

I've had issues with the scuf sticks, but I assume it's the same with the regular Xbox ones because of the materials being used. I then bought the Elite Xbox which came with the Elite controller... and I will never be comfortable using any other controller.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
First thing I did was order another controller. I also bought a scuf. I have the day one edition as well and did not think twice about leaving that controller alone.

I've had issues with the scuf sticks, but I assume it's the same with the regular Xbox ones because of the materials being used. I then bought the Elite Xbox which came with the Elite controller... and I will never be comfortable using any other controller.

I still have my Day one controller, I have thought about the Elite controller but, $150 for it is WAY too much. If it was around $90-100, I think I woul grab it.

My Day one controller works fine, It was not a controller issue, it was an Xbox one/Rise of the Tomb raider issue.

I am at 71% of the game now.... Dam what a game...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I still have my Day one controller, I have thought about the Elite controller but, $150 for it is WAY too much. If it was around $90-100, I think I woul grab it.

My Day one controller works fine, It was not a controller issue, it was an Xbox one/Rise of the Tomb raider issue.

I am at 71% of the game now.... Dam what a game...

I figured it was the game, but definitely wouldn't use the Day One Edition controller. I started collecting them, but realized it was a very expensive habit. Lol.

I may buy it, just to have it. It's $18 on my employee website.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured it was the game, but definitely wouldn't use the Day One Edition controller. I started collecting them, but realized it was a very expensive habit. Lol.

I may buy it, just to have it. It's $18 on my employee website.

Yea, I have been thinking about grabbing another controller, I don't see the point of collecting them. I really want a white one (not the game stop excluseive, the one that came with the systems) but, not sure I want to pay $65-80 for a controller.

Maybe I'll buy a standard black one and get the color mod kit ($5-10 on ebay)... I can get the best of both worlds...

Rise of the Tomb raider is no question worth $60...so if you can score it for $18... grab it..

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is a similar issue...
The Xbox button, on the controller, isn't behaving as normal.
If I'm in a game, pressing it doesn't go back to the home screen.
Double-tapping it doesn't bring up the side bar.
Holding it down doesn't ask if I want to turn things off, it just turns the controller off.

My understanding is that there was an Xbox One update, a few days ago.
Maybe something is glitchy, in the software?
JJ

Edit...
I just tried streaming to my computer, using my Xbox 360 controller, and the same thing happens.
I can't exit out of a game, etc...
Definitely seems like a software issue.
JJ

Edit...
As a matter of fact, the Go Home button in the Xbox app doesn't even work.
I'm having to turn off the Xbox, just to get out of a game.
Hehehe...
JJ

Edit...
I turned off the console and unplugged the power.
When I turned it back on, the home button worked.
Weird.
JJ

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers