Xbox Mixed Reality?

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Is it ever going to happen? Early last year everyone was saying that it was coming sometime in 2018 but pretty much all of those articles are over a year old and that doesn't seem to be anything else. Has ANYONE heard something that I might have missed?

EXboxNick

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
how are they going to allow this to connect?? HDMI to USB adapter? there's only 1 hdmi output and that's too a TV or monitor. they'd need some sort of alternate connectivity with this current One X.

I don't see it happening unfortunately! because we were told the Xbox one would play Blu Ray and that didn't happen out of the box nor via update. instead they jump to an incremental update forcing those early adopters to either upgrade again 2 years later or shop elsewhere.

Microsoft is, after all in the business of making money, and Satya nadella will do the same thing: minor console generation change in order for it to be supported. those with Project Scorpio and the hardcore fan base are left in the dark again!

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Is it ever going to happen? Early last year everyone was saying that it was coming sometime in 2018 but pretty much all of those articles are over a year old and that doesn't seem to be anything else. Has ANYONE heard something that I might have missed?

Not until it is wireless. Really yes even if it's not perfect. Get in the game!

Crap_shoot1

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Yes, in a nutshell. Why? Because it is being pioneered on PC's. High End VR is all designed to run on WIN10. It can and should be ported. The one advantage of the One X is that it is a PC with standardization for games. The games are developed on PCs for PCs and the Xbox One X is a PC so all the 4K assets are ready at the time of a PC games launch to be ported to One X like Order of Magnitude. 1440P VR is also ready to be ported as a whole. Include small speakers by the ears ( just by them) and no rubber smell while playing like PSVR. Then put it in the movie theaters to play for $10 half hour. Racing game. Do a study on girls and what games they like, take vitals. What games girls and guys play together.

GordoSan

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Yes, this should absolutely happen. The most formidable player in the VR game is Sony right now, no matter how anybody may feel that Oculus or Vive is better. Yes, even with the lousy Move controllers (I can definitely say that, as a PSVR owner), Sony takes the market. That's the beauty of competition, and why the VR industry NEEDS Microsoft to compete on the console front, as Sony has proven that there is potentially a big market in the console space. I have no doubt that MS can do it better. We'll know in a week, as they would have to show it by E3, if it's coming this year. I'm actually going to their briefing this year, so I hope to actually see something in person.

GordoSan

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
how are they going to allow this to connect?? HDMI to USB adapter? there's only 1 hdmi output and that's too a TV or monitor. they'd need some sort of alternate connectivity with this current One X.

I don't see it happening unfortunately! because we were told the Xbox one would play Blu Ray and that didn't happen out of the box nor via update. instead they jump to an incremental update forcing those early adopters to either upgrade again 2 years later or shop elsewhere.

Microsoft is, after all in the business of making money, and Satya nadella will do the same thing: minor console generation change in order for it to be supported. those with Project Scorpio and the hardcore fan base are left in the dark again!
That's very incorrect. Xbox One definitely had Blu-ray support at launch (2013), and the app was always a free download. They even added 3D Blu-ray within a year. I had an original model and used Blu-ray all the time. They didn't have UHD Blu-ray at launch, but it wasn't even invented yet, and didn't have the correct drive or HDMI spec. I also have the latest and greatest PS4 Pro, which STILL doesn't have UHD Blu-ray, whereas both S and X Xbox One models do.

Now, the Xbox 360 didn't have Blu-ray, but it did come out before that was done being finalized, as well. (A full year ahead of PS3) They also had an internal DVD drive, but offered an external HD-DVD drive. Not sure why they didn't offer a Blu-ray drive in the 360 S redesign.

gold-stars

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Phil Spencer has stated until the entire VR stack is wireless it wont have the means to break-through to the mainstream, so until Windows VR goes wireless it wont happen.

The MR controllers also do not support the Xbox wireless controller system, they are bluetooth based.

DrunkBALLZOUTxx

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Yes definitely. VR needs to happen very soon for Xbox. I need a reason to actually buy an Xbox One X. Since I don't own, or care to own, a 4k TV anytime soon, this new hardware experience would definitely sell me on it. I gotta play some Skyrim VR.

Tiny Funk

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Yes definitely. VR needs to happen very soon for Xbox. I need a reason to actually buy an Xbox One X. Since I don't own, or care to own, a 4k TV anytime soon, this new hardware experience would definitely sell me on it. I gotta play some Skyrim VR.

Yup same here, also no need for 4K for me. so I'm waiting for MR on Xbox, before buying the X.

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I say yes and no at the same time. I say yes because there's a particular value. Smaller developers could start work on WMR on One X now if they opened it up. Businesses that are exploring WMR in the workplace but don't feel like spending well over a thousand dollars on a laptop to power it could prove out the idea with a headset and a One X.

I say no because I agree that it's not ready for the mainstream. If people have to be connected to their Xbox, it's a step in the wrong direction and people will be disappointed in it.

I think a free "Developer unlock" approach is what they should do now. This would allow developers to start work and would allow enterprise customers a cheaper way to prove out the use case for apps like Microsoft Layout. But it also helps avoid people from diving in blindly and thinking that the wired approach is the way it will all work.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
No reason not to since it requires very less effort.
2 conditions.
1) wireless / cordless (my guess, maybe after a few more WoA update and ARM cpu iterations so it can run longer + acceptable performance)
2) spatial mapping (without it, unfit in average living room setup + rail shooter is the only game type dev can create)

Last edited:

rwalrond

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting MS sits on this long enough to come out and say, "We missed the boat on VR gaming." I don't understand this talk about waiting for a wireless solution. Yes, wireless would be better, but I have a wired Mixed Reality headset collecting dust next to my Xbox X. Plus are there any other wireless solution for PC and Playstation?

GordoSan

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Phil Spencer has stated until the entire VR stack is wireless it wont have the means to break-through to the mainstream, so until Windows VR goes wireless it wont happen.

The MR controllers also do not support the Xbox wireless controller system, they are bluetooth based.

Of course, it's possible that they are making Xbox MR the new flagship (will get its own specific wireless HMD/controllers), and they have something to show us at E3. They are very chummy with AMD, who bought Nitero wireless VR technology last year.We'll know in less than a week.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It could happen technically, as the Xbox has the horsepower to drive the headset (not sure about the BT controllers as others have said, but a bt dongle is not that much)

However, consumers won't want to have to unplug their TV in order to plug in the headset to the Xbox, so I think it will have to wait until the whole thing is wireless. Microsoft has an (undeserved IMO) reputation for launching things before they are fully consumer-ready, and I don't think that a cumbersome VR solution would help the situation, and would probably end up helping whoever launches after them if that company was the first with a wireless system.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3