Zune DRM free

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok I know this might not be the right forum, but didn't know where else to ask, is Zune music DRM free? And what bitrate is it?? Mp3 format?? Just curious cause I currently buy from Amazon and I love the DRM free

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With ZunePass you get 10 DRM free songs per month. Plus, you can download or stream as much music as you wish on all of your devices; PC, XBox and WP, But you lose those downloaded, DRM protected songs when ZunePass is canceled. I have burned several CDs with Zune purchased music. No problem. You can download music to your PC from 128 to 312. You set the bitrate. Not sure about songs downloaded to your phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The ones you buy, and the 10 you get to keep each month off the Zune Pass are DRM FREE @ 256kbps or 320kbps depending on which the record label gives them.

The zunepass downloadable songs (ones you don't keep when subscription runs out) are at same rate streaming songs are. 192kpbs I believe.

MP3 format.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Really?? Man that makes it very similar to amazon, seems like Zune songs are a tad more expensive tho, most albums I buy on Amazon are a couple dollar difference, but atleast now I kno the DRM free convienence is there for when I'm on the go. Thanks

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Dude to tell you the truth though, just get a Zune Pass, it is probably the best value for money in the history of MP3 music players/online stores, you already have a Windows Phone, I like it as my primary music player so should everyone else at least I wouldn't see why not. The good thing is, you do get to keep ten DRM-free songs per month so the monthly cost is more than justifiable, and the kitchen sink! I mean, stream or (DRM) download any song you want in the ever perpetuating Zune catalog, let me just say this though; ZunePass+SmartDJ=totallyeffinawesomemusicexperience!!! :D Only available in the Live ecosystem. :)

Reactions: VernonEL

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Dude to tell you the truth though, just get a Zune Pass, it is probably the best value for money in the history of MP3 music players/online stores, you already have a Windows Phone, I like it as my primary music player so should everyone else at least I wouldn't see why not. The good thing is, you do get to keep ten DRM-free songs per month so the monthly cost is more than justifiable, and the kitchen sink! I mean, stream or (DRM) download any song you want in the ever perpetuating Zune catalog, let me just say this though; ZunePass+SmartDJ=totallyeffinawesomemusicexperience!!! :D Only available in the Live ecosystem. :)

I concur, it's a great value. And those 10 free songs a month keeps me well stocked in mixed CDs to listen to in the car.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The ones you buy, and the 10 you get to keep each month off the Zune Pass are DRM FREE @ 256kbps or 320kbps depending on which the record label gives them.

The zunepass downloadable songs (ones you don't keep when subscription runs out) are at same rate streaming songs are. 192kpbs I believe.
MP3 format.
Yeah, what dtboos said. Where the heck did I get 312 from. And not sure if the variable setting I noted is for d/l or burning from within Zune, but I believe my purchased (previously downloaded) songs were upped from 192 to 256 when DRM was removed.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

aapold

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If you really want, there are ways to strip the DRM... for your personal use on non-zune players while you maintain your zune pass of course. Wondershare can do this... there is a free version that limits you to one minute of songs, but its enough to show that it works. The paid version is like $30. It is a fairly cpu intensive project, something you'd probably leave running overnight with a decent library.

But even that would not accomplish what you get with the zune pass, as it would be static, and constantly having to be updated when you get new songs from the marketplace... and grabbing stuff at will from the marketplace without worrying about it is what zune pass is all about.

My advice is to stick with the zune pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon