Microsoft Account: Gmail vs Outlook

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Hi,

I have some question about the Microsoft Account that is required to use some function of the phone.

My question is simple:

- if I will use Gmail to create a MS account, I will lost some functionality?

- do you prefer Gmail or Outlook? Why?

- if I will create a MS Account with a Gmail address, where the contact will be sync? To MS Account, or to the Gmail account?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You will not lose functionality.

I prefer Outlook because it plays nicely with more devices IMO.
Also sounds cooler, syncs up with my Microsoft setup well too.
The webmail also hooks in well with OneDrive, Office Online, other PIM and GTalk, Facebook messaging...

The contacts will be synced to your cloud service of choice, you can choose outlook or gmail, regardless.

I created my MS account using my Gmail, I eventually elected to use my Outlook as my primary thing to sign in. It's flexible.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Huh. Some interesting questions there.
First off- what xandros said.

Second off, I truly think you may be overthinking this. Most everyone I know has several emails, and I see no disadvantage to opening up an Outlook account to synch to your phone. If I ever get an Android, I fully intend to open a Gmail account to take advantage of of all the short-cuts it offers. I would still use my Outlook account as my main email though.

As for personal preference, I prefer Outlook simply because I prefer Microsoft policy concerning it and I do not Google's attempts to force you on Google+ and other services. It is simply a point of what I prefer. My Son prefers Outlook, my wife and Daughter both prefer Gmail. Depends on the services you want.

My Daughter is in your boat, by the way. She has a L1020, and syncs it to an Outlook account she barely uses.

A-G-X

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much,

In conclusion I can use outlook or gmail indifferently, and i can choose where sync my contact calendar etc... Correct? I don't like outlook because their account expires and they recycle username and google no.

Do you consider this?

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
You will not lose functionality.

I prefer Outlook because it plays nicely with more devices IMO.
Also sounds cooler, syncs up with my Microsoft setup well too.
The webmail also hooks in well with OneDrive, Office Online, other PIM and GTalk, Facebook messaging...

The contacts will be synced to your cloud service of choice, you can choose outlook or gmail, regardless.

I created my MS account using my Gmail, I eventually elected to use my Outlook as my primary thing to sign in. It's flexible.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is why I love outlook, plus the spam and blacklist feature is
awesome. My old hotmail has a library of blocked spam, and now the Nigerian bank has a heck of a time trying to contact me. :D (junk mail went from +40 down to >7.)
Also, you can add (up to 5?) hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses to your primary accounts, all with the same password. If you have trouble, MS store employees are like wizards and will solve your problem in 5 minutes. They are incredible.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have both - I use gmail as a junk email. I think Google also has software that scans every singe gmail email sent or received for advertising purposes, that alone is a deal breaker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99