Lumia 920 Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumiator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering about two specific things: 1st - When will Windows Phone Mobile be officially released, other than just Insider previews (in which I'm not enrolled) and 2nd - Is my Lumia 920 eligible for W10 Mobile or I just have to get the Insider builds only? Thank you all for your help in advance!

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
1st - When will Windows Phone Mobile be officially released
No date has been announced, although it is expected this month.

2nd - Is my Lumia 920 eligible for W10 Mobile or I just have to get the Insider builds only?
The Lumia 920 isn't in the initial list of phones to get Windows 10 mobile. But that's not to say it won't be in subsequent lists.
If you wanted it sooner you would have to go the Windows Insider route.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Technically W10M is officially released because the L950 and XL have been released with W10M.

From what I know in general, all phones will get the W10M update.

L920 is probably low on the list of phones to receive the update being as old as it is. If your phone is carrier locked I would say your chances of getting is are very small. Depends on the carrier but I think it's unlikely.

So if you're really interested to have W10M I would probably go with the insider builds on the slow ring so you get a stable version.

That's my two cents anyway.

Lumiator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
To "charlatan1978": I knew that L920 wasn't on the current list of eligible phones to get W10M, however I didn't know if there was an update concerning that list. So i stayed with my current version (which is WP8.1 Preview for Developers) because I'd heard about a lot of bugs in insider builds so I didn't wanna experience such lags and crashes.
To "N_LaRue": I knew about the 950 & 950XL carrying the official version of W10M but I was wondering about it's release to all other phones. My L920 has O2 as a carrier (although i bought it from Greece), I don't know if that's gonna be a problem. I've thought about enrolling into the Insider program, but I've been hesitant up until now because of the bugs and crashes reported.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To "charlatan1978": I knew that L920 wasn't on the current list of eligible phones to get W10M, however I didn't know if there was an update concerning that list. So i stayed with my current version (which is WP8.1 Preview for Developers) because I'd heard about a lot of bugs in insider builds so I didn't wanna experience such lags and crashes.
To "N_LaRue": I knew about the 950 & 950XL carrying the official version of W10M but I was wondering about it's release to all other phones. My L920 has O2 as a carrier (although i bought it from Greece), I don't know if that's gonna be a problem. I've thought about enrolling into the Insider program, but I've been hesitant up until now because of the bugs and crashes reported.
MS has never been upfront about release dates for their OS updates unfortunately, it's always vague. Also carriers always drag their feet a bit, some really drag their feet. My L920 always took forever on EE. I believe O2 is one of the better ones but still...

Having a carrier locked phone I'd say your chances of an update are slim considering the age of the phone. You could ask O2 but I doubt you'll get a straight answer out of them or possibly not the right one. If it is coming it could be months from now.

Up to you but I'd personally go with the insider preview on the slow ring. The current build appears to be quite good.

Lumiator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
MS has never been upfront about release dates for their OS updates unfortunately, it's always vague. Also carriers always drag their feet a bit, some really drag their feet. My L920 always took forever on EE. I believe O2 is one of the better ones but still...

Having a carrier locked phone I'd say your chances of an update are slim considering the age of the phone. You could ask O2 but I doubt you'll get a straight answer out of them or possibly not the right one. If it is coming it could be months from now.

Up to you but I'd personally go with the insider preview on the slow ring. The current build appears to be quite good.

I know, you're quite right. I'm just afraid of any chance of total crash, in which I'll possibly lose all my photo gallery. I've considered performing a backup, however MS only provides us with the option of the cloud. Instead, I wanna have my files in my PC, to which MS doesn't have a solution yet other than normal copy/paste actions.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know, you're quite right. I'm just afraid of any chance of total crash, in which I'll possibly lose all my photo gallery. I've considered performing a backup, however MS only provides us with the option of the cloud. Instead, I wanna have my files in my PC, to which MS doesn't have a solution yet other than normal copy/paste actions.

I was going to say you can use the Windows Phone app to do a backup via USB cable. That should work well enough. That is the solution other than doing a direct copy/paste as you stated.

I would definitely back up though before installing W10M as you may have to do a hard reset.

Lumiator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I was going to say you can use the Windows Phone app to do a backup via USB cable. That should work well enough. That is the solution other than doing a direct copy/paste as you stated.

I would definitely back up though before installing W10M as you may have to do a hard reset.

I didn't know about that app you mentioned, I had downloaded an app for WP on my PC way back, but i couldn't find a total backup option. If possible, please give me a link from where I can download the app you're suggesting. I absolutely agree with you, a backup is totally necessary before such an update, more so since it's a "beta" one. Thank you a lot for your helpful and quick responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon