Why can't I update my Lumia 550 over mobile data

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is there some work-around that let's me update my phone software without wifi?

Who thought I would be a good idea to restrict software updates to wifi only? I have unlimited 4G plan, and no regular access to wifi. I'm honestly baffled what kind of an ***** would make this 'feature'. </rant>

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So many people do not have unlimited data. And rather than being sued for $$$$$$$ because of many mistaken downloads costing many $ to users I guess the safe option is to limit to Wi-Fi.

Given that Wi-Fi is pretty universal, this is a wise move. Except frustrating for users like you. iOS is the same though... for same liability reasons.

Best idea - use a friends 'unlimited 4g hotspot" if you don't have Wi-Fi.

Znirmik

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
The problem is that I have to repeat the process every time I have updates,which makes it a bit of hassle. They could've had a checkbox, say in developer options, that enables updates over mobile data. That way users couldn't sue over unexpected charges and everyone could use their phones as needed.

I have been relatively happy with my first Windows phone (really like the UI), but I'm going to switch back to android. No artificial restrictions there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)