Why can't I update my Lumia 550 over mobile data

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is there some work-around that let's me update my phone software without wifi?

Who thought I would be a good idea to restrict software updates to wifi only? I have unlimited 4G plan, and no regular access to wifi. I'm honestly baffled what kind of an ***** would make this 'feature'. </rant>

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So many people do not have unlimited data. And rather than being sued for $$$$$$$ because of many mistaken downloads costing many $ to users I guess the safe option is to limit to Wi-Fi.

Given that Wi-Fi is pretty universal, this is a wise move. Except frustrating for users like you. iOS is the same though... for same liability reasons.

Best idea - use a friends 'unlimited 4g hotspot" if you don't have Wi-Fi.

Znirmik

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
The problem is that I have to repeat the process every time I have updates,which makes it a bit of hassle. They could've had a checkbox, say in developer options, that enables updates over mobile data. That way users couldn't sue over unexpected charges and everyone could use their phones as needed.

I have been relatively happy with my first Windows phone (really like the UI), but I'm going to switch back to android. No artificial restrictions there.