Can I use my microsoft account copy on two PC?

abhiFT

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a dell laptop that came with genuine windows 7. I installed windows 10 on it and activated win 10 by using the dell product key. Now the key is linked to my Microsoft account and I recently got a new PC. If I sign in to that PC by the same account, will my windows get activated automatically? I downloaded win10 from Microsoft's website.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
If I sign in to that PC by the same account, will my windows get activated automatically? I downloaded win10 from Microsoft's website.

Free upgrade from Win 7, Win 8/8.1 to Win 10 was over on July 2016.
In theory, if you new PC is running the older Windows edition, and you want to upgrade it to Win 10, you will have to purchase a genuine Windows 10 license (product key) in order to activate the installation. It is because Free upgrade is over.

HOWEVER, for reason no body knows, we have found out that the free upgrade is, in fact, still available.

So, if your new PC is running win 7, or win 8/8.1, you can download the Win 10 iso file and use it to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

Just one thing you must be aware of. You MUST choose the CORRECT Windows 10 ISO file that is corresponding to your new PC current Windows Edition.
Example : If your new PC is running Win 7 Home Premium, English language, and 64-bit, then you must select Windows 10, English Language and 64-bit.

I would suggest that you do it this way. It's simpler and mistake-free.

Assuming your new PC is running a genuine copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and that it is activated.

In your new PC, use this Media Creation Tool link :

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Upgrade now button.
That will start the Upgrade Assistant to check if your pc is ready for upgrade. If approved, it will tell you what to do. Just follow the prompts.
You will be allowed to keep your files, settings and most apps.
No product key is required.
Activation is automatic.

If you have questions before or during installation, please post back.

I would like to know the result of your installation.

Last edited:

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a dell laptop that came with genuine windows 7. I installed windows 10 on it and activated win 10 by using the dell product key. Now the key is linked to my Microsoft account and I recently got a new PC. If I sign in to that PC by the same account, will my windows get activated automatically? I downloaded win10 from Microsoft's website.

Sorry but I do not think the reply from davidhk129 is valid. You say that the licence came with your laptop so it is an OEM licence (in this case provided by Dell) - therefore is it NOT transferable to another PC as it is permanently linked to the motherboard in your Dell laptop.

It doesn't matter that it's connected to your Microsoft account - OEM Windows licences, regardless of whether you've taken the Win10 upgrade or not, are not transferable

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but I do not think the reply from davidhk129 is valid. You say that the licence came with your laptop so it is an OEM licence (in this case provided by Dell) - therefore is it NOT transferable to another PC as it is permanently linked to the motherboard in your Dell laptop.

It doesn't matter that it's connected to your Microsoft account - OEM Windows licences, regardless of whether you've taken the Win10 upgrade or not, are not transferable

Where did I say the license is transferrable ?
Can you quote me the part I said his license is transferrable ?

The OP asked if his new PC can be upgraded to Windows 10.

I told him since the Free Win 10 upgrade is still available, he can do so if his new PC is running either Win 7, or Win 8/8.1 and provided the new PC is activated.

I also gave the OP a more simple way to upgrade to Win 10.
Where in my posts suggests that his oem license is transferrable ?
Where in my post even mentioned about his oem license ?

abhiFT

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Free upgrade from Win 7, Win 8/8.1 to Win 10 was over on July 2016.
In theory, if you new PC is running the older Windows edition, and you want to upgrade it to Win 10, you will have to purchase a genuine Windows 10 license (product key) in order to activate the installation. It is because Free upgrade is over.

HOWEVER, for reason no body knows, we have found out that the free upgrade is, in fact, still available.

So, if your new PC is running win 7, or win 8/8.1, you can download the Win 10 iso file and use it to upgrade to Win 10 for free.

Just one thing you must be aware of. You MUST choose the CORRECT Windows 10 ISO file that is corresponding to your new PC current Windows Edition.
Example : If your new PC is running Win 7 Home Premium, English language, and 64-bit, then you must select Windows 10, English Language and 64-bit.

I would suggest that you do it this way. It's simpler and mistake-free.

Assuming your new PC is running a genuine copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and that it is activated.

In your new PC, use this Media Creation Tool link :

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Upgrade now button.
That will start the Upgrade Assistant to check if your pc is ready for upgrade. If approved, it will tell you what to do. Just follow the prompts.
You will be allowed to keep your files, settings and most apps.
No product key is required.
Activation is automatic.

If you have questions before or during installation, please post back.

I would like to know the result of your installation.

My new PC is not running any kind of OS. I have the CU image file in a pen drive. I got it assembled and so the HDD is empty. I will be installing Win 10 on it when I get my monitor and will share the results whether it worked or not.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
My new PC is not running any kind of OS. I have the CU image file in a pen drive. I got it assembled and so the HDD is empty. I will be installing Win 10 on it when I get my monitor and will share the results whether it worked or not.

The instructions I gave you from my previous post are applicable ONLY if your new PC has a genuine copy of either Windows 7, 8/8.1 installed and activated.

Your new PC has no OS in it.
You can install Windows 10 into it with an iso, but it will not get activated.
You need to buy a genuine Windows 10 product key to activate.

Last edited:

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Licences for Windows 10 are per-device, not per account. Otherwise, people would have to buy only one Windows 10 PC in their lifetime and enjoy Windows 10 on however many devices they please. Even if you purchase a standalone licence for Windows 10, you can only have it on one machine at a time.

abhiFT

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Licences for Windows 10 are per-device, not per account. Otherwise, people would have to buy only one Windows 10 PC in their lifetime and enjoy Windows 10 on however many devices they please. Even if you purchase a standalone licence for Windows 10, you can only have it on one machine at a time.

So I have to first reset the previous machine running windows 10?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
So I have to first reset the previous machine running windows 10?

abhiFT,

I am afraid you did nor get it.
Allow me to explain this way........

Each computer running an activated Windows 10 edition will have its own "digital license"

That digital license allows you to reinstall the SAME edition of Windows 10 into the SAME computer any time you want and as often as you want.
BUT, that only applies to the computer in which Windows 10 is initially installed.
That digital license is tied to that computer. It lives and dies with that computer.
It can NOT be transferred to and other computer.

The digital license that belongs to your Windows 7 can NOT be transferred to your new PC.
You must buy a genuine Windows 10 product key for that new PC.

abhiFT

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
abhiFT,

I am afraid you did nor get it.
Allow me to explain this way........

Each computer running an activated Windows 10 edition will have its own "digital license"

That digital license allows you to reinstall the SAME edition of Windows 10 into the SAME computer any time you want and as often as you want.
BUT, that only applies to the computer in which Windows 10 is initially installed.
That digital license is tied to that computer. It lives and dies with that computer.
It can NOT be transferred to and other computer.

The digital license that belongs to your Windows 7 can NOT be transferred to your new PC.
You must buy a genuine Windows 10 product key for that new PC.

But it worked for me. I have windows 10 installed on both machines and activated with the same key.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Or maybe Microsoft is allowing this? Cause I used the same account ID on both devices. If that ever happens, I will opt for MTK.

IF MS is allowing this, then we can throw the EULA agreement out the window.

Account ID has absolutely nothing to do with it.
It is the digital license / product key that determines the validity of the operating system.
And the rule is : One license, one install.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Or maybe Microsoft is allowing this? Cause I used the same account ID on both devices. If that ever happens, I will opt for MTK.

I dont think MS is allowing this but it takes time for them to check and blacklist keys are disable such systems. A quick search shows many have commented that they have got activated this way so a hammer might be coming upon soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium