Beginner Windows Phone 8 Developer

quantranbr

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I begin with windows phone 8 and i wonder to choose which programming language C# or C++, i program both App and Game.
Please help me for the best choice and if can, please give me the reason why choose this language.
Thank you

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
C# is simpler and faster to develop in -- if you're only developing for WP, go with C#. If you need to reuse existing C++ libraries or are planning to port your apps to other platforms, go with C++.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As an old school programmer I can't help but recommend C++. It is natively supported in many SDK's and eases porting. It is also a very developed language that is much more powerful. There is also an unlimited wealth of information for c++. It is however as said a little more difficult to learn.

I suggest that whatever you choose, the first thing you do is learn the SDK interface and then open up several sample applications and copy/paste the code to a project of your own that is in itself unique to learn stuff quick. Then after you get familiar with what you've been doing say to a point where you can create a simple app without copying all the time you should open up some books.

contributorM

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the thread. I'm new to developing period! Never written an app. Closes thing to programming I've done is writing .bat files lmao. Want to get into developing apps, especially for the WP. I've already downloaded the SDK and have no idea where to start with that.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat too. Dabbled in a tiny bit of programming in the past, found I was good at it but never followed up and learned more. Big regret of mine. Currently trying to wrap my head around OOP - and I think I'm going to stick with C# for now to avoid dealing with memory management etc. I definitely plan on transitioning to cpp in the future.

A good place to start would be to just go to dev.windowsphone.com and take a look at the samples. Download a few, load 'em up, build 'em, then pick something you wanna change and go ahead and change it. Then rebuild and see what happens! You need to be patient - you're not going to make the next Metrotube overnight - but you'll be surprised how quickly you'll make progress.

contributorM

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I just finished a 3 hour course from Tuts+ called "So You Want to be a Developer" it's based on JavaScript and just ran through the basics i.e. what are Functions, What is an Array, What are Loops, etc.. Did more research and there is a similar course from Code Academy.

Anyhoo, now after taking that course, and when looking at sample code, even though I know it wasn't developed in JavaScrips, the code, at least looks a lot less foreign. I can now identify certain data types and such used.

I've just scratched the tip of the iceberg, and have a very long way to go. Already penned a developer road map for myself. Instead of continuing with JavaScript, I'll just delve right into C# for ease than anything else. If I get really good, I'll venture into C++. But I still can't skimp out on things like UI design, Q&A, etc.. etc.. all of that I know will come together later.

Ok we'll see how this goes. Expect LOTS of questions from yours truly.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Contributor M, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm already planning my app but I need to make sure I can get the proper API pieces to use in the app. As everything he has done is custom coded, I'm curious how easy it would be for him to create a set of API files that I could then integrate into the app?

The Last Byte

May 19, 2012
Visit site
In regards to C# to C++..use whatever is less foreign to you. Yes, C++ is more powerful in some ways, but as a beginner you won't even need to dive into that sort of power.

Note you should use C# if you want to make something fast. C++ takes a lot longer to make stuff, at least with my usage :p

jacky_h

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, following on from the OP's question (also a beginner in wp7 & wp8 here), i would like to know if it is possible for an app to change wp8 setting? i have looked through all of the code samples and have not seen anything at all tha indicates it is possible. for example, can an app switch wifi on/off or change theme colour ?? good advice about c# vs cpp btw, totally agree with sticking to c# if you want to keep it simple. cp and cpp are much more complex.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the beginning stages of learning C# and Windows Phone development (does it ever end? lol).

I HIGHLY recommend watching/following some tutorial videos to help you get started. My favorite so far is "Windows Phone 7 Development for Absolute Beginners" by Bob Tabor.

Yes, I realize it's for WP7 and not WP8, but this doesn't really matter if you are just beginning. It will give you a great starting or jumping off point for learning C# and XAML specific to Windows Phone development.

Sheryl Mathews

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Since you are beginning with windows phone I would recommend you to go with C#. I took a Jump Start course on phone app development from Microsoft Virtual Academy. The training module helped me leverage my C# skills to build cool apps for the Windows 8 platform. Hope you enjoy the course!

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know what's the price of a developer's account?? I'm actually a student, but year dropout right now.. So I think o can't get a student developer free account. Any guidance???

truly_sk

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't about a student dev account, but if it exist you wouldn't be able to get it coz you're not a registered student and if you were then you'd need to enquire with your lectures to proceed.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very very much for the info.. Seems ill have to pay for the account which I'll do. I have some very good ideas but I've just started learning programming, but my gf has a degree and has very vast knowledge. Together my ideas n creativity n her knowledge n common sense, you guys will see very good apps in the coming year.. ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes