Thinking about HP Stream 8 or another Dell

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to get a new tablet. My Dell Venue 8 Pro stopped charging on me after 13 months(one month longer than warranty). So now I am in the hunt for a new one. I don't do much with my tablet, but I still want good memory and a sharp screen. I was basically However, I was out looking around at Best Buy and the Microsoft store(to look not buy) and I saw no Dell's. I did see the HP Stream 8 though. How is this one? I really only use the tablet for email, surfing the net and the usual Facebook, etc. Do not think that I will ever play games on it. Watching videos--maybe. One main thing I noticed is my Dell came with a full version of Office. The HP only has Office 365(?) for free the first year. Also thinking of a Android Tab4. any thoughts on the Stream vs Venue? other suggestions? Surface Pro 3 would be nice but to much $.I have a laptop running Windows 7 and a Nokia 521 WP , so I would like to stay with a Windows tablet. If I did get an Android, I would probably eventually get a Android phone also.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If they're the same price I'd get the DV8P as it does come with full Office (lifetime, not some sort of rented software).

The HP Stream 8 is a good device. I have a HP Stream 7. For your needs, both devices are great. The HP Stream 8 has 3g capabilities (at least in the UK), so you can use the internet wherever you go.

Both devices are great. IMO, you should just choose whatever is there and whatever is cheaper. I'd prefer the DV8P though due to the lifetime Office.

Good luck ;)

Btw I'd stick away from most Android tablets. Windows tablets are the best, they're the most productive with full Office. With full Windows you are able to download any app you want, much more than Android.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
i have an Insignia Flex Tab, 8" Windows tab for $99 @ Best Buy. I also have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. Two different experiences. Strictly speaking from a touch tablet point of view, I find Android far superior to Windows' Modern UI. The selection and maturity of apps is greater. MS Office for Android is a pleasure to use and is nicer to use on a tablet than desktop version of Office on the Windows tablet.

But I am enjoying the tinkering experience of the Insignia tab. I've installed some old Win16 CDROM titles (Encarta, Walt Disney World Explorer, etc.) and I've installed Fusion (Sega Genesis/32X/SegaCD emulator). With a USB version of the original Sega Genesis controller, this tablet IS a portable retro gaming device.

As an ereader (of both the epub and cbz/cbr variety), the GTab makes a superior reader due to the quality and availability of ereader apps and the high pixel density of the screen.

Those are just some of my experiences...

As for the HP Stream 8. It looks like a nice device. The free 4G for life (I have the same deal on my HP Chromebook) is a nice addition and if you don't need/want the active digitizer of the Dell, then this might be a nice alternative... though it doesn't have an hdmi port (interestingly enough, the Insignia does).

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a laptop running Windows 7 and a Nokia 521 WP , so I would like to stay with a Windows tablet..

I have the exact same setup! My previous tablet was an Amazon Kindle Fire HD, though. I opted for the HP Stream 8, which I've been using since mid-December. The things that swayed me were:
-Price. The Stream 8 was discounted to ~$150+tax at Best Buy and the MS Store during the holiday, but I got it from Amazon during a lightening deal for $139+tax.
-4G cellular connection, with free 200mb/month for the life of the device from T-Mobile. This was a big selling point for me, though I may be unusual because I do not have a data plan on my phone. My Nokia 521 is a prepaid phone and I have it set up with a pay-as-you-go plan. When I'm traveling, I'll buy a day or week data pass, but all other times, I just use wifi. I basically realized that I was in a wi-fi zone 95% of my day-- at home, work, and many stores/cafes, too.
It's been really handy to pull out the Stream when I'm waiting somewhere, flip on the mobile broadband, and check email, etc. Now I *really* don't need a data plan or even data passes on my phone.

Things that I thought would be more useful than they actually have been:
-Office. I actually installed Office 2013 on the Stream because my university has a site license for that version rather than Office 365. It technically works, but to actually get any meaningful productive work done in Office on a small Windows 8 tablet like the Stream or Venue 8 pro is very frustrating. You really need a keyboard and mouse.
-Apps. Not sure this fits in this category, but I will say that coming from Windows PHONE, I was surprised that several of the apps I have on the phone are not available in Windows 8. The 3 main examples for me are: Pandora, USAA (my bank), and HERE Drive (Note: Here MAPS is available, but not Here DRIVE).

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Bestbuy has the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Dell Venue 11 Pro. I don't believe any new Windows tablet comes with full office anymore...just 1 year of 365

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
slipslip: I also have a Kindle Fire!!!! Non HD. A few years old and no upgrades available. I think that it runs a limited version of Android, not sure though. I know realistically, the Stream 8 will do what I need it to do, but mentally- I want more. Not going to worry about it for a few more days. By then, I will have another $5 in Amazon giftcard--$75 total. I'll see what Amazon has then.The choices are really not that great, especially if I want a Windows tablet.

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a Winbook 8" tablet from MicroCenter. I am really enjoying this tablet. It comes with 32gb of memory, 2gb of RAM, micro HDMI port, a full USB 3.0 port and microSD expansion. All this for $139. It is beefy but worth it.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I might consider with the HP is battery life.
Yes, this is a fair assessment. There must be something about how it goes into standby that keeps it using battery, because it doesn't last as long as my Kindle HD. If you are mostly using it around the house or office, then the battery life isn't quite as important, but if you using it out and about all day, it could be more of a concern.

GND1: That's funny that you have a Kindle Fire, too--- actually the reason I got the Fire HD (previous gen) was that my Fire (1st gen) stopped charging, just like your Venue! So we *really* have similar gadget histories! (OK, let's go one generation further--- did you have a Nokia N800 internet tablet? or an 2nd gen iPod Touch?)

One last differentiating thing that the Stream 8 has is a GPS chip. This certainly isn't necessary, but it can come in handy, especially with the 4G data connection.

If you are looking at the Dell Venue 8 Pro, make sure to check the features list carefully, because there seem to be different "series" now. The "3000 series" is the cheapest and looks like it has very similar specs to the Stream 8. It does not appear that the Venue is offered with a cellular data connection option.

It's too bad that MS cancelled/postponed the rumored Surface Mini. That probably would have been a great device.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
My biggest complaint about the HP stream's battery life is that it has built in 4G, so clearly it was intended to be taken out and about.

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Slipslip- I got my Kindle Fire a few years ago from work. One vendor had a point contest going on. I used mine for the Kindle Fire. Stopped using it when I got the Dell. That Kindle was my first Tablet. I have never owned or used a Apple product. My first smart phone was Android- Samsung Vibrant. The 521 is the only other smart phone that I have had. I really don't care about having GPS or phone capabilities in a tablet. that's what the phone is for. WiFi is all I need in a Tablet.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Love my Stream7, but I'm in Wi-Fi 98% of the time. Battery life hasn't been an issue unless I'm really active with streaming video. Even then, I still get hours of life. Wouldn't consider the Dell as equivalent, particularly for the Stream8. For the OEM's, including Office is a throwaway. Lifetime Wi-Fi data?. Hmmmm...

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The Stream 7 has a respectable 8 hours of battery life. I bought one for a friend of mine and he likes it a lot.

The Stream 8 only comes in at 6.5. Toshiba Encore 2, from my experience, can do that with plenty to spare.

sawo

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
And what about Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 '8 with Windows?
If you like 8 inch size, I belive, it's not the worst choice. Full HD, great battery time, nice design, portable, and about 300$ price.
Check it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes