reality check. wp is in big trouble

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Well hate is an opinion. If its an opinion, then its an opinion. My point was that using the generic "that's my/his opinion" defence is useless. As soon as someone's opinion crosses a line people don't like they call for it to be banned. As you just proved. That's why i used it. You don't consider racism a valid opinion. Neither do I. But it IS an opinion.

Its all opinion.

Do you confuse yourself when you write?

Also, why should I be the one to skip it, why is it that only my opinion isn't warranted?

As it happens i think all these cry babies going mental at MS and Nokia are fools. I agree pretty much with what you said. I just take umbrage to the opinion defence, especially when used unilaterally.

Because you seam to be the one who is to taking offence to the comments of the OP. There is no need for that. That is not an opinion it is a fact.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire

I will be you armor bearer if you like.

niovhe

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love WP,the world wouldn't end for me if the Microsoft went belly-up. People need to realize a phone is a communications device, and not a status symbol, or what keeps our hearts beating. Lol

You are in wpcentral, in their wp8 section, inside a thread which discusses the future of a smartphone OS by breaking down any possible rumour we can find.
I am pretty sure it's not just a communications device to you either, is it?

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
You are in wpcentral, in their wp8 section, inside a thread which discusses the future of a smartphone OS by breaking down any possible rumour we can find.
I am pretty sure it's not just a communications device to you either, is it?

I can tell what else you probably use your phone for just by smelling it, but you probably don't let others hold your phone. Am I right, or am I right? Relax dude...I was being a smart a**.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
MS knows that they need WP and more importantly a foot in the ARM processor space. The problem is that win RT, while it migh tgain more ground in the furutre with more apps and lower pricing, WP is their only other foothold in ARM that is growing. Even though its just speculation at this point in time, if nokia does decide to sell their assets, you can bet that microsoft will either make a phone in hourse aka a surface phone, OR most likely, they would have to buy the handset division of nokia because essentially Nokia is WP. MS knows this, but this is all speculation. Its same thing that I kept saying in the xbone boards, just wait and see what happens, nothing is concrete yet, so theres no point in anybody getting their panties in a bunch over speculation. Now if it does happen, then there is grounds to worry, but for now, we'll just have to wait...

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day it's just a smartphone. Although I would be disappointed if Nokia ditched WP I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

yeah dude i completely agree. i may be giving off the impression that i'm emotionally invested, which is weird and i need to stop doing, but realistically it's not a massive deal either way, i just wanted a bit of rational speculation

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
people have a right to their own opinion, they do not however, have a right to vomit that opinion over everyone else.

Racists have a right to be racist, they don't have a right to express that racism. Paranoid reactionaries have a right to be paranoid reactionaries, they don't have a right to ram it down everyone's throat.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and im entitled to it

are you seriously going to bring an analogy about racism into this? yeah i think this mobile os is in trouble, as supported by an alarming article in very legitimate newspaper as well as the news of the meeting of directors. i think the whole issue is a few magnitudes away from the kind of parallels you're drawing here. however, i'm really sorry for "vomiting" that opinion all over this forum that you specifically chose to click into.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So the NSN buyout is quite a good speculation and something i wasn't aware of.

the fact that people feel so offended by any sort of negative speculation on here though is quite weird. since these rumours are originating from reasonable sources i don't see why it's not acceptable to discuss them intelligently, without the emotional response. hence the "reality check" in the title, just because we like the operating system doesn't mean we should deliberately shut out any issues or criticism that is to do with it.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The first part is creative prose for comedic effect.

The second is proving you wrong for being snarky.

HaaH!? You have proven nothing, other than you can derail a thread. You sir took my attempt to at keep the thread civil and turned it into this relatively benign tit for tat. Y?!

"The first part is creative prose for comedic effect." I think not I believe you had genuine concerns and that is my opinion. Twist that!

The end game for me is, this has begun to shed some light on how easily something written can be misunderstood then twisted to service ones needs. The sensationalism of the OP's comments is mirrored in your every word.

:winktongue:

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
HaaH!? You have proven nothing, other than you can derail a thread. You sir took my attempt to at keep the thread civil and turned it into this relatively benign tit for tat. Y?!

"The first part is creative prose for comedic effect." I think not I believe you had genuine concerns and that is my opinion. Twist that!

The end game for me is, this has begun to shed some light on how easily something written can be misunderstood then twisted to service ones needs. The sensationalism of the OP's comments is mirrored in your every word.

:winktongue:

Ok.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
are you seriously going to bring an analogy about racism into this? yeah i think this mobile os is in trouble, as supported by an alarming article in very legitimate newspaper as well as the news of the meeting of directors. i think the whole issue is a few magnitudes away from the kind of parallels you're drawing here. however, i'm really sorry for "vomiting" that opinion all over this forum that you specifically chose to click into.

Read my post again.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I swear hanging around Microsoft forums is like a diet of Dostoyevsky and Leonard Cohen: sure to drive you to suicide. The chicken little reference is well observed.

Come on folks, Windows phone is growing steadily, especially among people new to smart phones. The updates may come too slow for us geeks, but are on time and the system works.

We share the most innovative platform since the original iPhone, which will integrate through the cloud more closely with our Xboxes and PCs, and thanks to Nokia, our phones are SEXY! My rocket red 920 turns heads and even the 520 is a neat little device.

Meanwhile Apple have stagnated and Samsung are throwing money at their devices. They may be ahead, but they don't have a coherent plan. They are reacting while Microsoft and Nokia have the initiative.

Contrary to some opinions, I have become convinced that Android's success has very little to do with Android itself. Android users I know tend to follow a trend lead by OEMs and network providers, who have been seduced by Android being free and customisable. However, Microsoft has been leveraging their patent portfolio to ramp up the cost of Android and the customisation in Android comes with a heavy price: Android wastes memory so much it only runs adequately on high-end devices. This means that users are very dissatisfied with their droids, effectively putting new users off while building a reservoir of future Windows phone customers. Now network providers like Verison and Vodaphone are embracing WP, because the market is turning.

This is why both Acer and Huawei are complaining about the license fee for using Windows Phone. They want to follow Nokia but don't want commit the resources, but continued growth will bring them on board. Meanwhile, Google are bad-mouthing Microsoft for the simple reason they have no answer. All that money and no vision. I'm almost sorry for them.

The Microsoft/Nokia plan is working. Yes, its slow, but it was always going to be - the market has a lot of inertia.

So please, brighten up and be a little more positive. They're kicking up a Sh*tstorm, because we're winning.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So the NSN buyout is quite a good speculation and something i wasn't aware of.

the fact that people feel so offended by any sort of negative speculation on here though is quite weird. since these rumours are originating from reasonable sources i don't see why it's not acceptable to discuss them intelligently, without the emotional response. hence the "reality check" in the title, just because we like the operating system doesn't mean we should deliberately shut out any issues or criticism that is to do with it.

What does it all mean either way? Lets say Nokia splits tomorrow does anyone really think they stop producing WP's? Will Nokia close its doors tomorrow or on July 17th? That's not going to happen. If there is future changes coming in the short term nothing changes. In the long term if Nokia does stop producing WP's and goes to Android or stops making devices all together that just means Microsoft will subsidies some other manufacturer to produce WP's. Lets not forget that HTC was Microsoft's primary device manufacturer at the release of WP8. The HTC 8X was the only device released on all the US carriers and received all the Microsoft fan fare over Nokia. Remember that Samsung was the primary manufacturer for WP7 devices. If anything Microsoft has proven to be flexible and dedicated where WP is concerned.

I like Nokia I hope this is all just a non issues which I think it is. That said I would love to see HTC and Samsung get more involved. I would bet if Nokia pulled out tomorrow Microsoft would spend the necessary money to make sure WP goes on other Manufacturers devices.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I have no hate.
But am not a blind fan. Am neutral. Criticize where necessary.
What are the three updates you are talking about this year? Comparing with the rate of apple updates is stupid. It's WP who is lagging in market and mind share not Apple.
To catchup it needs to increase rate not follow competitors.

MS should have WP 8.1 by now or by July at the latest. Release any update after iOS7 ships is going to be late like every year. There is no reason MS can't increase the update rate.
They have thousands of employees. It's just clear that MS doesn't want to increase the update rate. Why. I don't know.

Yeah thats totally plausable and in no way shape or form utter tin foil hattery.

With only 3 updates this year and having doubled both the app count and market share in 8 months. WP is indeed moving slowly. When you compare this to apple with there superfast one update per year. You can see how super slow ms is.

I mean iphones don't have 1.5gig processors or 720p screens yet, but still it only took them 7 years to add a settings screen. Just what is MS playing at?

/s

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria