reality check. wp is in big trouble

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
MS is not serious about WP. In these past 8 months we've seen unnecessary backlash on win8 so they concentrated on 8.1 very much then XB1 came which also got concentration before and after but WP remained very much behind. Sinofsky left. So, Something's up at Redmond. I know 7.5 came after very short time and with a lot of new features. This time it's gonna take 12+ months for major update. I hope GDR 3 gives some major changes with resolution. I have made up my mind to wait until blue update but I agree with OP, because I hope MS just doesn't kill WP by letting Nokia focusing away from WP. If that happens, WP is in big trouble.
2 options 1. Bring new features asap, those which are completed, ship them anyway. 2. Invest in Nokia to let it be stable.

P.S. It's Nokia's current stability which attracted a lot of buyers I guess.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I ditto this. Word has consistently been that the 928 is the 3rd best selling phone on VZW and the 520/521 is a runaway hit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia ended up pushing closer to 10 million phones in 2Q instead of the 7-8 million they were projecting. The most likely thing going on is Nokia is searching for a way to redo or buy out the NSN joint venture because it has been a consistent growing cash flow for them, and Siemens suddenly wanting out is making them look at all of their options.

I seriously doubt breaking the company up is in the cards.

Though it should be added that you rarely sell your company at it worse, you do the dirty work first to get the company to profits. Exactly the same that was done to NSN and now Siemens is selling its half.
Also people need to remember that Lumia 928 being 3rd on Verizon means nothing when you used to sell 28 million smartphones, 135 million phones a quarter, have 98 000 workers (used to be 125 000), have +78 million dumb phone sales that are coming down fast. Selling +1-3 million Lumias in a quarter under that weight means nothing. Especially as Lumias have yet to make any profit, while dumb phones do that every quarter.

Even so, I do agree that the Nokia Board of Directors meeting is MUCH more likely about NSN than anything else. Things happening around NSN are not after all any kind of secret and they are happening right now.
If we don't finally start seeing some truly positive news around Lumias, I can see Elop being shown a door very soon and likely some major changes. It's money and the expected value that the company brings to investors what makes them afloat, not wishes and hopes of better future.

jack6191

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
For some reason there is a part of the windows phone population that thrive on any negativity they can find even if it is in rumors that have no foundation to them.

Such population is present on each and every community..whether within or outside the tech world! So don't pay a heed to them is a better option:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
People really do like to over-react. Why don't you all just switch now and save yourself the trauma over the next few months. Give it a couple of days you might even see some meme's floating around saying "switch from lumia" run by android fans. Cant imagine how worried you will be seeing those.

Nokia aren't going anywhere as a provider of WP if seimens sell off the portion they own and nokia/MS buy that portion up Nokia will have the biggest mobile patent chest in the business, MS aren't going to allow nokia to be sold off or broken up and lose access to all those patents.

WP updates have always been in a cycle of between 3-4 months. Nodo came out after 3 months on WP7 Followed by Mango 4 months after that to get us to 7.5. With WP8 we've had portico 3 months after launch and GDR2 is due anytime soon which puts it at 4 months after portico. GDR 3 is due November - 4 months later.

Don't see where the problem is there folks - looks like business as usual.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lets keep it civil everyone. The OP has a right to his own opinion. Lets do what we can to bring facts to the conversation in a civil manner.

People love a train wreck with a title like this thread has people are bound to stop and look.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
This isn't completely off-base, sadly. If something happens to Nokia to prevent or hinder further development of Lumias, Windows Phone can be safely abandoned. ~85% of Windows Phone sales are by Nokia. 6% of handset sales in America are Windows Phones - cut that by 85%, and you're left with 0.9% of sales - a position as bad as BlackBerry is in.

Hopefully Microsoft won't allow this to transpire, of course.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I ditto this. Word has consistently been that the 928 is the 3rd best selling phone on VZW and the 520/521 is a runaway hit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia ended up pushing closer to 10 million phones in 2Q instead of the 7-8 million they were projecting. The most likely thing going on is Nokia is searching for a way to redo or buy out the NSN joint venture because it has been a consistent growing cash flow for them, and Siemens suddenly wanting out is making them look at all of their options.

I seriously doubt breaking the company up is in the cards.

Even 10 million is just 4% market share.
7 million is 3% market share, almost zero progress since the launch of WP.
The cheap iPhone could make things even more difficult.
The plan of going WP didn't work as expected for Nokia, you have to admit that, and they have to do something to save some shareholder value.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Lets keep it civil everyone. The OP has a right to his own opinion. Lets do what we can to bring facts to the conversation in a civil manner.

People love a train wreck with a title like this thread has people are bound to stop and look.

people have a right to their own opinion, they do not however, have a right to vomit that opinion over everyone else.

Racists have a right to be racist, they don't have a right to express that racism. Paranoid reactionaries have a right to be paranoid reactionaries, they don't have a right to ram it down everyone's throat.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and im entitled to it

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day it's just a smartphone. Although I would be disappointed if Nokia ditched WP I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The plan of going WP didn't work as expected for Nokia, you have to admit that, and they have to do something to save some shareholder value.

Pure numbers almost never tell the whole story, though.

The "launch" of WP was dead zero %. All the sales were Windows Mobile. WP 7 in 2010 was a near "soft launch" with bare bones features. MS cranked things up with updates until the launch of Nokia's L900. That is when things picked up. The sales that everyone claim haven't improved much absolutely have picked up. WP 8 devices are growing faster in some markets then others, but where Nokia's name is respected they are growing quicker. Throw in Sprint's non-existent offerings and Verizon just jumping onboard last quarter, and the next 2 quarters will show where WP 8 stands. Right now, these numbers look paltry when thrown into the monoliths that are Android and iOS, but are HUGE growth compared to WP7.

Nokia is now earning more profit PER HANDSET then they ever have from Symbian. Do I have a link to back that up? Nope. Just the little thing called common sense. To produce the handsets Nokia was producing when they were near the top of the mobile heap, there were costs such as:

Hardware production.
Hardware R&D.
Supply chain/distrubution needs
Symbian OS development/ support
Symbian App support development
MEEGO R&D
Competition for dollars among different factions, always leading to waste and cost over runs.

How much of that is gone? And how much of the transistion was covered by MS?

I will believe the death knell when I see it. I think WP8 is in solid hands at least through the holidays this year.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft is purposely holding back WP trying to break down Nokia as much as possible until they become an obvious take over target.
It is very much possible.

I wanna say we're ****ed actually.

the helsingin sanomat is suggesting nokia might be broken up to parts. this is even worse than all the previous rumours of microsoft or huwei (or however it's spelt) buying them out. they are clearly in trouble, and considering their normal operating condition has been 'trouble' for the past 5 years now this seems even more drastic.

even though i only started caring about nokia because of windows phone i honestly now wish they had gone with android for their own sake. they make stellar hardware, probably the best on the market. Yet they're being held back by the operating system so it's not hard to see why the shareholders are disgruntled. yeah the lumia 925 is an amazing phone, but it has to compete with the HTC one and the S4 (and the iphone). with the bigger is better attitude of the android customer base and the still lacking app selection i'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it stood a good chance.

without nokia windows phone is done. nokia is the only reason the software is even slightly competitive, although at this point we're so behind it's ridiculous. yeah wp is nice to use and it probably has all the features you'd normally need, but people don't just want a phone that gets things done, they want a pocket computer that does everything. anyway, this is not the point.

the point is if nokia goes wp can give up all it's hopes of ever becoming competitive and at this point this seems like a very likely scenario.
can we discuss this for a minute? (without the fanboyism if possible; i've heard all the arguments, in fact i probably used some of them before, but since i strangely actually care about this os i feel like a touch of realism is in order.)

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft is purposely holding back WP trying to break down Nokia as much as possible until they become an obvious take over target.
It is very much possible.

Yeah thats totally plausable and in no way shape or form utter tin foil hattery.

With only 3 updates this year and having doubled both the app count and market share in 8 months. WP is indeed moving slowly. When you compare this to apple with there superfast one update per year. You can see how super slow ms is.

I mean iphones don't have 1.5gig processors or 720p screens yet, but still it only took them 7 years to add a settings screen. Just what is MS playing at?

/s

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

What are looking at because I don't see what you see. What I see is Nokia stock prices going steadily up. Isn't that what its supposed to do. Keep in mind this is all happening in the middle of Nokia dumping their bread and butter Symbian OS. Have you done any research on this? Is it time for a fact check maybe?

people have a right to their own opinion, they do not however, have a right to vomit that opinion over everyone else.

Racists have a right to be racist, they don't have a right to express that racism. Paranoid reactionaries have a right to be paranoid reactionaries, they don't have a right to ram it down everyone's throat.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and im entitled to it

Hate is hate that's not an opinion. I am not sure why you would chose this content for you point. If you are uncomfortable with the content in this thread fill free to skip it. Nobody it forcing you to read anything.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
What are looking at because I don't see what you see. What I see is Nokia stock prices going steadily up. Isn't that what its supposed to do. Keep in mind this is all happening in the middle of Nokia dumping their bread and butter Symbian OS. Have you done any research on this? Is it time for a fact check maybe?

Hate is hate that's not an opinion. I am not sure why you would chose this content for you point. If you are uncomfortable with the content in this thread fill free to skip it. Nobody it forcing you to read anything.

Well hate is an opinion. If its an opinion, then its an opinion. My point was that using the generic "that's my/his opinion" defence is useless. As soon as someone's opinion crosses a line people don't like they call for it to be banned. As you just proved. That's why i used it. You don't consider racism a valid opinion. Neither do I. But it IS an opinion.

Its all opinion.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Also, why should I be the one to skip it, why is it that only my opinion isn't warranted?

As it happens i think all these cry babies going mental at MS and Nokia are fools. I agree pretty much with what you said. I just take umbrage to the opinion defence, especially when used unilaterally.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love WP,the world wouldn't end for me if the Microsoft went belly-up. People need to realize a phone is a communications device, and not a status symbol, or what keeps our hearts beating. Lol

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As much as I live WP,the world wouldn't end for me if the Microsoft went belly-up. People need to realize a phone is a communications device, and not a status symbol, or what keeps out hearts beating

What????

I..... need to have some time to evalute my life....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downloadtorose