HP Stream 7 size

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have some questions for those of you who own a Stream 7. My Zune is starting to die and I am looking for a replacement MP3 player. But since the only thing out there that has the specs that I want is an IPod touch which I absolutely do not want. I was considering buying that, but the price for something that I will be using as just an MP3 player doesn?t see worth it. While I was shopping for it I came across the HP Stream 7 and I thought that might be exactly what I was looking for:

• At least 32 gig storage
  • Bluetooth
  • Touch Screen
  • Wireless
  • Windows 8 (added bonus I was looking for)
  • Expandable storage (added bonus I was looking for)

After reading the reviews I see that it is a mono speaker. That?s not really a big deal since it would be connected via Bluetooth in my car or noise canceling headphones (maybe even Bluetooth now) when I?m at the gym. I can?t find a retailer that sells it in store so the questions I couldn?t really find an answer to are:

• Is the Stream small enough to fit in my gym shorts pockets? They are deep enough so that I can carry things like my phone and mp3 player without it sticking out.
  • If not, is there an arm band that I could get for it?
  • How does music sound connected via headphones and/or Bluetooth? Stereo quality or is it still low sounding ?
  • What kind of battery life should I expect for using it for music about 5 hours a day total ?

Thanks

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's big. Look at any other 7" tablet, you have to have BIG pockets. It's also hefty for it's size (its a computer for 99 bucks.. you get what you pay for)
The 32 gig is down to about 18 free space after windows updates. You would need an SD card.

Battery life is varying right now for some users. I haven't done media consumption on mine yet, just setting it up for my boys xmas, so other will have to comment on that.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. How if i found some type an arm band ? You think that might be too much of a hassle to keep it out of the way ? I would only need it for when I am using the weights. When I am on the cardio machines I usually just sit my player on the control panel of the machine I am using.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
IMHO, it's too big for a Zune replacement. What phone do you use? Get one with removable storage and you have a phone/computer/mp3 player/GPS/heart rate monitor/fit bit.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Lumina 925. I actually considered upgrading to a new Windows Phone that is expandable when I'm due. But even that is more money than a HP Stream. Plus the AT&T doesn;t have any new phone I'm interested in.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some of the posts above. The Stream 7 is probably too big to replace a Zune. I carry mine around in my pockets though without much of a problem, so if you're set on buying one, portability is one of its key characteristics. It is kind of thick and heavy for its size. Most likely, there is not an armband big enough for it. I've never looked though. The build quality is quite impressive though.
If I were you, I'd buy a 520, 630, or 635 and use that as my Zune replacement.
In fact, I'm about to list my Cricket 630 here in the marketplace for $40.00. It's blue and in mint condition. It'll be listed as soon as I get time today.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Amazon has it for 30.00 and I have a 25 gift card balance thanks to my Bing rewards points. I never even considered a low end Lumina device. Plus I can use it as a back up in case something were to happen to my 925. I'm sorry the word IPod ever crossed my mind.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Amazon has it for 30.00 and I have a 25 gift card balance thanks to my Bing rewards points. I never even considered a low end Lumina device. Plus I can use it as a back up in case something were to happen to my 925. I'm sorry the word IPod ever crossed my mind.

Ha ha ha
I'm glad that you were steered away from the iPod. :)
I'm going to do the same thing as you. I totally forgot about my Bing points. Thanks for mentioning that.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
So I had to wait one more day so that I could add another $5.00 gift card to my Amazon account. I go to order the phone and the raised the price to 40 dollars today. Oh well Microsoft store still has it for $30.00.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I had to wait one more day so that I could add another $5.00 gift card to my Amazon account. I go to order the phone and the raised the price to 40 dollars today. Oh well Microsoft store still has it for $30.00.

Yeah. Amazon likes to have quick sales like that. Hopefully, you can get it from the MS store before they raise their price too.

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Strange question. Can a 520 be used as a media player without a plan? Can you sign into an existing Microsoft account and download games/music and such to it without a phone contract? Using it for everything except an actual phone?

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if you huys saw, but it's on sale today for $20.00 on Amazon. Just ordered mine

Saw the Amazon one as its the 'Daily Deal' but went with the unlocked version in the MS store for $30. Might want to use a different sim card in it other than AT&T some day. Thanks for the tip!

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree with some of the posts above. The Stream 7 is probably too big to replace a Zune. I carry mine around in my pockets though without much of a problem, so if you're set on buying one, portability is one of its key characteristics. It is kind of thick and heavy for its size. Most likely, there is not an armband big enough for it. I've never looked though. The build quality is quite impressive though.
If I were you, I'd buy a 520, 630, or 635 and use that as my Zune replacement.
In fact, I'm about to list my Cricket 630 here in the marketplace for $40.00. It's blue and in mint condition. It'll be listed as soon as I get time today.

Any chance to get it unlocked?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
So, using it as a media player, could you buy an ATT phone but then just use it with WiFi or do you have to have an ATT account (even with no contract) to do that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3