Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    So for the few of us that use OS X and are using older versions of OS X, the Windows Phone app found in the App Store requires 10.7.4 and above. I'm running Snow Leopard, and have to upgrade. >_>; I don't know why this version of Windows Phone isn't able to install on 10.6.8, so annoying, but just thought I'd let anyone know that is running Snow Leopard, that you need Lion and above to download the Windows Phone app from the App Store.

I did this for iBooks Author awhile back and just tried it again with the WP app. Seems to work ok. It does complain at startup about not having iPhoto 11 installed but seems to work beyond that.

Install iBooks Author on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
    Thanked by:
    RaphC 

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I have 10.7.5 with no intention of upgrading so I guess I'm lucky. I have only tinkered with the connector but not really that impressed with it. maybe that'll change when I use it more.

On the bright side, Mountain Lion is only $20.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpm277 View Post
    On the bright side, Mountain Lion is only $20.
    My iMac is a late 2006 model, which technically doesn't support Lion. I think upgrading to Mountain Lion would be pushing it. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't work with Snow Leopard, when I know it's more than capable of running on Snow Leopard.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    I did this for iBooks Author awhile back and just tried it again with the WP app. Seems to work ok. It does complain at startup about not having iPhoto 11 installed but seems to work beyond that.

Install iBooks Author on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

You're able to sync not using Lion? What version of OS X are you running?

I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

I have the same problem, so there's two of us.
    Doesn't anyone have the old 2.x version that could post a link? All WP Connector links lead to the 3.0 version in the Mac App Store. I'm a little annoyed.

Same here, has anyone found a way around it?

If you aren't afraid to edit a couple text files the instructions I posted above should let you launch the 10.7 app on 10.6.8.

I have just discovered this and am equally frustrated with it. right now i'm still using my ip4 because I can't transfer my contacts because none of the uk phone shops have been prepared enough to have their equipment ready for lumia 920. the snow leopard exclusion is a joke and so short sighted, especially if they are trying to attract mac users

Follow the link Bill Snyder posted. Just about everything on there works as he said. Essentially, you are just tricking your computer in to thinking that you are running a later version of OSX.

One caveat: once the app downloads, I was not able to change the "Info.plist" within the contents. Instead, go to the same Contents folder, then go into the "MacOS" folder, and double click the 'Windows Phone' icon. Terminal will open, and it will launch the application. I do not know if photos and such will sync, but I am currently updating my music onto the Lumia I got yesterday...success is sweet.

This works perfectly - thanks!

I followed the instructions, and Windows Phone 3.0.1 app now successfully launches on 10.6.8 for me. However, the app will not recognize my Lumia 900 at all. The phone can tell it is plugged in, but the WP app doesn't recognize anything connected. This is on a 2007 MacBook. Any help?
    i have the same problem, i did everything and it worked but the program won't recognize my nokia lumia 800

Hey everyone!

I was having the same problem and spend a lot of time searching for a solution and... FOUND IT.

Well, not a real solution, but an older version that works. Hope it helps!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw6cmziot0...ector_2.02.zip
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felipebruni View Post
    Hey everyone!

I was having the same problem and spend a lot of time searching for a solution and... FOUND IT.

Well, not a real solution, but an older version that works. Hope it helps!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw6cmziot0...ector_2.02.zip
    This didn't work for me and my 920. It didn't recognize the phone. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybotics View Post
    This didn't work for me and my 920. It didn't recognize the phone. :(
    Probably because WP8 was released after this version. I still have an WP7 phone, so it works.

it worked brotha!!!!!

thank u brotha u saved my computer from going to the trash!

Did not work for me, but is that because I am coming from 10.5.6 on a G4 powerbook? or because the app store is only available thru Mountain Lion now? Apple, you suck!
    The frustration mounts....
    I couldn't even find a version of Windows Phone App TO download. This is just awful.

What about 10.5.6 Bill? Why haven't Nokia, Microsoft, or Apple sorted this by now for older OSes????!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Bill Snyder for your help. thanks to you I don't need to pay 20CHF just to use my Phone :)

However, note that there 2 things you need to do that are not explained in the tutorial :
    1/ In order to change the Info.plist in the Windows Phone package, instead of doing
    In Info.plist, look for “LSMinimumSystemVersion” and change the accompanying string from “10.7.2″ to “10.6.8″ and safe the file
    you need to type in the terminal the command :
    [CODE]sudo nano /Applications/Windows\ Phone.app/Contents/Info.plist [/CODE]
    Then do the last steps in the tutorial.

2/ You won't be able to open the application directly. You need to go to the content folder once again, then the MacOS folder. In there you will find an UNIX executable which is the application. Click on this and the application will open itself. It will also open a new terminal window, DO NOT CLOSE IT or you will close the application. My piece of advice is to minimize it.

Hope it will help some of you.
    Thanked by:
    RaphC 

Global Posts
    2,774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Irvin View Post
    What about 10.5.6 Bill? Why haven't Nokia, Microsoft, or Apple sorted this by now for older OSes????!!!!!!!!!
    Because they want you to buy new equipment. I spent 8 years on a G4 until it was basically useless.

Dear all,

I was googling with keyword windows phone apps, snow leopard and I found this thread and I took the time to register to this forum

I want to thank you all for your remarks and share my experience with you.

I followed the guide to change Mac OS X version to be able to download the apps and I successfully did the modification to the package in order to be able to run the program.
    Everything worked the first time, no need to run the apps in a terminal or whatever...
    Sync for music and photo is OK, I'm very happy ^^

When reading all your comments and work-around for running the apps, I was wondering why I did not encountered any issue with the program while some of you did.
    I realized that maybe it comes from the fact that I installed previously on the operating system the sync program from HTC. Maybe, the program HTC Sync installed some connectors or whatever in the system and can explain the fact it's working

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast