Pictures in Emails Broken

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why outlook wont show pictures in html emails even though always download external content is turned on? Such a basic thing but it doesn't work.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know why outlook wont show pictures in html emails even though always download external content is turned on? Such a basic thing but it doesn't work.

I agree there is another post where I and someone else indicated the same issue, even though I have download images regardless of wifi or cellular it does nothing just words populate.

earle36

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
This is also the case for me - emails have no images - and I have that flag turned on as well. This happens for both my Outlook and Gmail accounts.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yep both Gmail accounts and outlook account all showing broken images which means no images just text with boxes were the picture would be.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
There were a significant number of updates for Outlook mobile lately. It will likely be fixed in short order. Since they rolled back unified inbox I had a few issues.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Amazing this somehow wasn't a fix from the beta testing rounds. It's not usable like this. Furthermore, it's a basic email item.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
There's two settings in the built-in Outlook mail client that sound similar but have different effects.

The first is under accounts -> "always download full message and Internet Images". Basically, checking that downloads all content from a message and not just the header so they are available to see later offline. It is not necessary nor sufficient to check this box for the issue that I believe is being talked about here.

The second is under "options" at the very bottom "External content--Automatically download external images and style formats". That is the one you want if you want it to automatically download the images. If it is not checked, then each message will have a link that will manually download them on an individual basis.

I'm basing this off of my 830 which has Insider Preview installed to the same rev level (10586) as the new phones...I'm assuming it is the same but I can't verify until I receive my new phone.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazing this somehow wasn't a fix from the beta testing rounds. It's not usable like this. Furthermore, it's a basic email item.

Unless they broke it specifically for the 950/950XL...it works just fine in the beta builds up to current release and has for a while. See my post above for a possible explanation/guide on what's probably going on.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
There's two settings in the built-in Outlook mail client that sound similar but have different effects.

The first is under accounts -> "always download full message and Internet Images". Basically, checking that downloads all content from a message and not just the header so they are available to see later offline. It is not necessary nor sufficient to check this box for the issue that I believe is being talked about here.

The second is under "options" at the very bottom "External content--Automatically download external images and style formats". That is the one you want if you want it to automatically download the images. If it is not checked, then each message will have a link that will manually download them on an individual basis.

I'm basing this off of my 830 which has Insider Preview installed to the same rev level (10586) as the new phones...I'm assuming it is the same but I can't verify until I receive my new phone.

Unfortunately there's no link to download the images. The images actually show its a broken link for some reason.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
It is definitely something in outlook or on MS server side. I have all areas checked and still nothing.

As mentioned before by another, the boxes (placeholders) for the graphics do not say right click and choose download, etc. They literally say the location of the file has been moved or the file cannot be found.

This tells me that the mail app is looking in the wrong folder on the server where the email is being received at the server level. This happened a while back when MS blocked all graphics in email to help stop a virus or hacking attacks, cant remember which it was.

Also, with the same settings in the latest insider preview on my 1520, graphics loaded as they were supposed to. The formatting was strange from time to time, but they downloaded.

Just fyi, the build on the 950xl is 10586.0, while the latest insider build is 10586.11.

vinscuzzy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue. A hard reset fixed it. Phone seems to be a bit more stable as well. Not sure why. Not the answer everyone wants to hear, but it did fix it...

earle36

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue. A hard reset fixed it. Phone seems to be a bit more stable as well. Not sure why. Not the answer everyone wants to hear, but it did fix it...

Ya - not the answer I want to hear :( I think I'll hold out a bit longer - if they don't push out an update / fix in the next month or two then I will begrudgingly reset..

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
having the phone for less than 2 days, and starting fresh (did not restore backup), it seems ridiculous that a hard reset is needed to fix this. that seems to indicate that it could happen again. are we supposed to hard reset every few weeks?!

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
No, I could see a hard reset and setting up as new possibly fixing this as I did a restore when I first set the phone up.

The 1520 I was using probably had the internet cache file in a specific place. The upgrade to the insider preview just used the same folder as 8.1 when upgrading.

These new phones obviously lay out a specific folder path for the cache folder as well, but not the same as 8.1. When the phone is setup with a restore, the setting in outlook that directs to the cache folder would be changed to the location of 8.1's cache folder in the fresh install of 10.

The OS would not create the folder, so the email graphics are going to the windows 10 cache folder and the email app is looking in the 8.1 folder location which does not exist.

The only way to solve this without a hard reset would be total access to the OS registry to change the location data of the folder.

Whew, that was a mouthful. Guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't seem related to the restore from initial setup as I didn't use a restore point. I just proceeded with a fresh install. I'll try the reset today.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, remember, the 950 and 950 XL are running 10586.0 while the insider program is 10586.11. Sadly though, I can't get the insider program to update my XL. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6