Unique Issues or a Bigger Problem

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 950 XL since it was released and while I love it....I'm getting frustrated by it as well. I've had a number of Windows phones from as far back as the Motorola MPX220 (what an awesome device that was), but I don't know if any have had as many strange problems as the 950 XL. I was hoping that some of you may have thoughts on a few of these issues:

1. Random reboots. Most threads seem to make mention of the SD card...and I don't have an SD card. The system just reboots for no reason when sitting on the counter. I only notice because of the beautiful screen showing the MS logo.
  2. Windows Hello Randomly Activating. My Iris scanner turns on for no reason and stays on. Last night I woke up and the Iris scanner was on and stayed on while I looked at it (about 20 seconds). The screen wasn't on...just the red light. It stayed on until I turned the screen on and off. I've notice a couple of times the phone getting extremely hot in my pocket and when removing it, the iris scanner is on...but the screen isn't. It's like Hello gets locked on for some reason and chews through battery life like no tomorrow. I've had decent luck with my battery, but when this happens I typically see the batter half empty.
  3. Outlook and "Settings are Out of Date". Over the past week the phone randomly decides each of my email account settings are out of sync and stops processing messages. Even though there's no changes to passwords or anything. There's no fix button by the account in settings....it just randomly throws the message. Over the past three days, one account has thrown the error 6 times and I've done nothing to fix it. But email just stops and then starts again when I open Outlook.

I've been so looking forward to this phone that I can't help but feel let down. I've tried to get past the lack of Visual Voicemail and the inability for me to get a straight answer on if WiFi calling is baked into Windows 10. But this is just getting annoying. Even back when I got my Samsung Focus when Winphone 7 was released, there seemed to be fewer bugs (a lot less functionality, but overall it seemed more stable).

Just to show how much I like the phone, here are a few of my Pro's:
  1. I love the screen. Coming from the LCD of the 830, I missed the pure blacks.
  2. The speed is refreshing. Only two "resumings" in almost a week.
  3. "Windows Hello" is cool. It works well for me, but if it comes with the headache of random activations and significant battery drain, I don't need it. (See my point 2 in the problems.)

Are my issues unique or was the XL pulled out of the oven a bit too early? Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated! I really want to love the complete phone...not just the idea of what it could be if I just give it enough time.

Thoughts?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed Cortana waking the device, asking for commands.

I had enabled "Hey Cortana" to respond to "anybody" when the screen was off. It is now disabled.
I assume the device was responding to the loud TV, and or, the Beacons broadcasters and advertisers televise.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed Cortana waking the device, asking for commands.

I had enabled "Hey Cortana" to respond to "anybody" when the screen was off. It is now disabled.
I assume the device was responding to the loud TV, and or, the Beacons broadcasters and advertisers televise.

Good thought, but I don't have Hey Cortana enabled.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I know the email verification thing is a known issue as it was prevalent on Win10 insider builds and has happened on the XL since I purchased it last week although not nearly as often. The other issues you have I have not experienced.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I know the email verification thing is a known issue as it was prevalent on Win10 insider builds and has happened on the XL since I purchased it last week although not nearly as often. The other issues you have I have not experienced.

Thanks jt09xlt (and nice avatar....poor Huskers). I had an 830 that I was running Insider builds on since early this year. Not once had I ever been prompted to fix my account except when my password changed. I've been prompted 13 times in 6 days with the new 950. Glad...or maybe sorry that this is happening for others simply because it may lead to a fix.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks jt09xlt (and nice avatar....poor Huskers). I had an 830 that I was running Insider builds on since early this year. Not once had I ever been prompted to fix my account except when my password changed. I've been prompted 13 times in 6 days with the new 950. Glad...or maybe sorry that this is happening for others simply because it may lead to a fix.

Yeah bad year on our part, but at least we were competitive for the most part. The login issues happened at least every other day on my Icon FWIW

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3