Numerous Questions/Things Missing from WP8.1 to W10

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have recently upgraded from the Lumia Icon to the Lumia 950. Overall, I love it!! Definitely the Windows phone I have been wanting for years. But after having the phone for about 2 weeks now, I have developed a list of minor issues that I have. There are things that I liked and used frequently on WP8.1 that are either different or gone on Windows 10 mobile and I can't seem to figure out the solution. Any help on any or all of these issues would be wonderful!

1.) Google Drive: I know the whole "Google doesn't have apps for Windows" business, but I had a google drive app on WP8.1. I guess that third party app isn't available anymore. Anyone have a different google drive app they would recommend on Windows 10 mobile? All I really see is "Client for Google Drive" for $5.99, "GDrive" for free, and "GDocs" for free. Any recommendations on which one to get? I don't mind spending the money for a good google drive app if it's worth it.

2.) Tasks on the calendar: This was a huge feature on WP8.1 that I used daily. When opening the calendar you can open up "tasks" which is basically a checklist of things I need to get done. I can rank them by priority. This was huge for my work priorities and also just my personal life priorities. Is this tasks feature gone in Windows 10 mobile? I can't seem to find any tasks feature in the calendar.

3.) Groove Music Issues: I have a few questions about things on Groove Music.

-Removing song from the now playing list. On Xbox Music with WP8.1, you could remove a song from the now playing list. I really enjoyed this feature, as I could make a quick playlist on the phone and then if I wanted to clear a song from that list on the fly I could. This feature doesn't seem to be on Groove Music on Windows 10 Mobile.
-Albums sorting by year. For an artist, it has all the albums sorted alphabetically. I would love to have them sorted by year as that makes more sense. Any way to sort the albums by year?

4.) Listen for music button. I can't seem to get this button to show up. Before on WP8.1, when I hit the search button and open up Cortana, the top right corner has a button to hit so I can listen to a song to figure out what the song is and who the artist is and download it if I wish. I can't seem to figure out how to get this "listen to music" button to show up without asking Cortana to do it.

5.) Texting groups. I used to be able to type the name of a group in the texting window and it would add the names of everyone in that group. For example, I could type "family" and it would then put in my mom's name, my brother's name, etc. for me to text. Now, the only way I can figure out to text a group is to open up groups, find the group, then tap message which will allow me to text the group. This seems like a lot of added steps.

6.) Minimizing Windows Bar. I can't seem to figure this out. Sometimes I accidentally minimize the Windows bar. I know how to bring it back up by just swiping up. But I can't figure out how to properly minimize this bar when I want to.

7.) Press and hold the Windows button. Pressing and holding the Windows button puts the phone into some "one-handed" mode that I definitely don't plan on ever using. Is there a way to change what happens when I press and hold the Windows button?

8.) Local Scout. I really enjoyed having the local scout on WP8.1. Is there a way to have the local scout on Windows 10 mobile? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Joel Earnest

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Number one on my list of removed features is the lack of customization for the Photos live tile. I really liked having it display the photos in my Favorites folder. A single photo or a slide show of my most recent photos just doesn't cut it.

I've submitted feedback on this, along with hundreds of other users, both for the desktop and mobile versions of W10.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No 4. I had trouble finding this also. But... If you hold the search button instead of short press, it's there, at least for me... In the upper right corner as before.

I can't find the feature that allows to share on Facebook the song you are listening to.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No. 2 if you hit the little calendar icon at the bottom right, next to the three dots, and choose Agenda, I believe that is what you are looking for.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No. 3....not exactly what you are asking, but if you choose Albums, and then sort by Artists, their albums are listed by year as you scroll

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
No. 2 if you hit the little calendar icon at the bottom right, next to the three dots, and choose Agenda, I believe that is what you are looking for.

No, this is just a calendar view. He is looking for the task list, just like me.

In addition to the list (reported in Feedback long time ago):
- Office SharePoint support
- Screenshot for pinned websites without own icon
- Battery tile

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No. 3....not exactly what you are asking, but if you choose Albums, and then sort by Artists, their albums are listed by year as you scroll

Nope, still sorted alphabetically here. Need more filters, like filter by year and genre when in Artists and Songs.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 118262

Is this not the view you are looking for?

That's an agenda view of calendar events. Tasks don't have a defined start and end time. They are things you need to get done while you may be at those events or not and can be checked as complete.

To-Doist and Wunderlist are apps with this capability, which Calendar in 8.1 was great for.
Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
No 4. I had trouble finding this also. But... If you hold the search button instead of short press, it's there, at least for me... In the upper right corner as before.

I can't find the feature that allows to share on Facebook the song you are listening to.

Great thanks! Big help!

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Number one on my list of removed features is the lack of customization for the Photos live tile. I really liked having it display the photos in my Favorites folder. A single photo or a slide show of my most recent photos just doesn't cut it.

I've submitted feedback on this, along with hundreds of other users, both for the desktop and mobile versions of W10.

Um, you can have it display your favorites? When I go to settings for photos, it says "choose what to show on the photos tile" and the options are recent photos, favorites, and single photo.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That's an agenda view of calendar events. Tasks don't have a defined start and end time. They are things you need to get done whole you may be at those events or not and can be checked as complete.

To-Doist and Wunderlist are apps with this capability, which Calendar in 8.1 was great for.

Thanks for those suggestions! I'll check out those apps.

billross

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
#4 - At the main Cortana screen, on the bottom line of the screen it says "Ask me anything" and has a microphone button. Press the microphone button and another screen comes up with the bottom line saying "Listening...". The top right of that screen has a musical notes button that you can press so Cortana will listen for music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon