Lumia 620 - Battery query

littlek4za

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought the sun global 1850mah battery yesterday, i fully charged the battery. And this morning, i use my phone as usual.. And the battery life time is just the same or even lesser compare to the original battery. Maybe i havent fully activated the battery. But imo, even if i fully activated the battery, i dont think it could last more longer. For now, i think it is not worth to buy. I will review again how is the battery life time one week later.

Jameesh

May 6, 2013
Visit site
what is the feedback on battery " HIGH CAPACITY GOLD 2430mAH BL-4J" bought from ebay?
How good it is with lumia 620? Does it really give better battery life?

Zeeshan Haider

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have this model. during initial days I was also very worried about its short battery life. But I noticed one thing that it charge up full in short time ( 1-2 hour) relative to other smart phones. is that quite impressing I don't know. but the point I want to mention here is , it shows full charge sign ,but in real it does not charge up full. so keep it on charging for one hour more when it shows full battery sign but don't charge it more than four hours because it may damage your battery. it works for me.. now it's normal usage is extended to 40 hours. That make me some what calm..
This may not be fact because may be my mobile has some problem but I recommend to try this at least once.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you are being accurate, but i find it very very very hard to believe you r620 can be used for 40 hours on "normal" use without charging.

I find it hard to believe any smartphone today can do that, really depends on what you mean by normal use.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
...but don't charge it more than four hours because it may damage your battery.

This is simply not true (and I wish people would stop propagating this myth). The charging circuitry included in the device (and all modern phones/tablets/mp3 players) prevents the phone from overcharging. Leaving your phone charging overnight (or even longer) WILL NOT damage your battery.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I have this model. during initial days I was also very worried about its short battery life. But I noticed one thing that it charge up full in short time ( 1-2 hour) relative to other smart phones. is that quite impressing I don't know. but the point I want to mention here is , it shows full charge sign ,but in real it does not charge up full. so keep it on charging for one hour more when it shows full battery sign but don't charge it more than four hours because it may damage your battery. it works for me.. now it's normal usage is extended to 40 hours. That make me some what calm..
This may not be fact because may be my mobile has some problem but I recommend to try this at least once.

Can you give some review when you browse continuosly? because for the original battery 1300mah the most it can last for me is only up to 3hours. I really appreciate if you can give such review. It will be different for 'normal use' for different users. So maybe review on browsing will give us clearer performance of the battery.

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
While browsing the internet can be "normal use", how you use your phone, or better yet, what you use it for may differ from each individual.

I like my phone to do all the smartphone stuff, but on my demand. This means i have most of background apps blocked (only 5 enabled to be exact), which gives me way more than 3hrs of browsing... I can go with my 620 through all the day with one charge, and still have about 30% the next day (which on battery saver would last even longer). Normal use for me: some music, couple of calls and sms, check the internet -weather, forums, info, store, 30km of drive+, and that with the stock battery...

So is really up to each person.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
While browsing the internet can be "normal use", how you use your phone, or better yet, what you use it for may differ from each individual.

I like my phone to do all the smartphone stuff, but on my demand. This means i have most of background apps blocked (only 5 enabled to be exact), which gives me way more than 3hrs of browsing... I can go with my 620 through all the day with one charge, and still have about 30% the next day (which on battery saver would last even longer). Normal use for me: some music, couple of calls and sms, check the internet -weather, forums, info, store, 30km of drive+, and that with the stock battery...

So is really up to each person.

I just want to see how different the 3rd party battery and stock battery performance when you browse the internet continuosly.
I read from gsmarena and they tested that 620 battery only last up to 3hours + minutes when you browsing the internet continuosly.
(I have 5 allowed apps in background)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I just want to see how different the 3rd party battery and stock battery performance when you browse the internet continuosly.
I read from gsmarena and they tested that 620 battery only last up to 3hours + minutes when you browsing the internet continuosly.
(I have 5 allowed apps in background)

Are you talking about browsing the internet via a wifi connection, via a 3G connection or via a 4G connection? If you're talking about cellular data (3G or 4G), battery drain can be more or less, depending on the signal strength of your connection. Poor or varying signal strength will use significantly more power as the radio has to increase it's transmit power to cope with flaky connection.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about browsing the internet via a wifi connection, via a 3G connection or via a 4G connection? If you're talking about cellular data (3G or 4G), battery drain can be more or less, depending on the signal strength of your connection. Poor or varying signal strength will use significantly more power as the radio has to increase it's transmit power to cope with flaky connection.

I use 3g connection. I can say that I have fast browsing experience and not much connectivity issue here. But 3hours for browsing is very short time. Lumia520 with 1430mah(130mah higher than 620) is far better than 620 when it comes to browsing. I wonder what will be the difference if using 3rd prty battery (bl-4j 2430 mah) if it also used for browsing continuosly.
You can see how the gsmarena run the test:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-nokia-lumia-620-gets-the-battery-treatment-does-rather-poorly/
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-lumi...ed-battery-testing-regime-see-how-it-managed/

dikadik

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
i bought a new (1320mAH BL-5J) battery yesterday and my question is :
is it really safe to use a more powerful battery than the original one ?

This! I don't want to change my battery into a 3rd party battery.
Few people talk about the availability to change the battery with 520's battery, (almost precisely) the same size but better capacity. Has anyone tried this out?
Would this be damaging the hardware?

And I also want to ask, is it necessary to charge a new purchased battery for 4 or 8 hours?? I heard so many different opinions for this

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
This! I don't want to change my battery into a 3rd party battery.
Few people talk about the availability to change the battery with 520's battery, (almost precisely) the same size but better capacity. Has anyone tried this out?
Would this be damaging the hardware?

I haven't tried this personally, but if the 520 battery physically fits into the 620 there shouldn't be any danger of damaging the hardware. The output voltage should be the same, and the current draw is limited by the phone circuitry itself. The only issue might be that the battery indicator doesn't show the correct remaining charge, and the charging circuitry might not be optimised for the bigger battery (which might mean it'll be slower to charge than it might otherwise be).

And I also want to ask, is it necessary to charge a new purchased battery for 4 or 8 hours?? I heard so many different opinions for this

It's not necessary to charge a new battery for any predetermined period of time. Charging it until it is fully charged is sufficient. If this only takes two hours, then that's all you need. The charging circuitry cuts off the charging current when the phone is fully charged, so leaving on longer than is necessary doesn't actually do anything.

Last edited:

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I have read a lot about Nokia Lumia 620's back up and with varying opinions about the life of battery.. from 5 hrs to even 24 hours and more... i have been using it for past 3 days... have to ask... is a 8-16 hour backup normal????

i mean coming from E5 this really sucks... but i guess thats what smart phones are offfering these days....

i have FB connected and also have 2 accounts syncing use about 30-40 mins of net surfing and also 20 min of whatsapp.. and some random apps.... i have not made any calls or music... played about 10 mins of game that to today

following are the screen shots of rise and fall of battery and i must say it drops really fast and then stabilizes

wp_ss_20130604_0001.pngwp_ss_20130604_0002.pngwp_ss_20130604_0003.png

wp_ss_20130604_0004.png

is this normal??? or should i see the nokia center???

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
is this normal??? or should i see the nokia center???

I don't believe this is normal. Your battery looks like it is draining far too fast if it's sitting in locked mode for a lot of the time.

You say you use Facebook and WhatsApp. I believe these apps, particularly WhatsApp can suck a lot of power (possibly a bug in the apps). You could try stopping these from running in the background for a while and see if the battery life significantly improves. With WhatsApp in particular, you may want to uninstall the app to see if battery improves. I believe there is an update for WhatsApp on the way that addresses the widely reported battery drain issue with this app.

Ayush Sharma01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Firstly thank you so much for the reply... yeah today i have just disabled the internet..and the phone has been idle (used flash light once and bluetooth to transfer the pic) to see whats the deal with the battery...

as of now the stats seem to be...
wp_ss_20130605_0001.png
the deal is after the full charge the battery falls pretty sharply.....(is the same happening with everyone else...???

a point to be made is that many people mentioned that the battery improves a lot after first few recharges.. and my total count as of today is 5

is there a need to go to Nokia Care center right away or should i use it for a week more to see whats the deal with it....!!!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
the deal is after the full charge the battery falls pretty sharply.....(is the same happening with everyone else...???

No. I don't see this behaviour. But you might need to charge again to see if it repeats the same pattern. Might have been a one off.

a point to be made is that many people mentioned that the battery improves a lot after first few recharges.. and my total count as of today is 5

This is a myth. Lithium Ion batteries don't 'improve' at all after a few charges. What can happen is that the 'estimated time remaining' can get more accurate because the software monitor gets more data to work with.

is there a need to go to Nokia Care center right away or should i use it for a week more to see whats the deal with it....!!!

Up to you, but I think you've got a software problem, not a phone or battery fault. Temporarily uninstall Facebook and WhatsApp for a couple of days and see if your battery life is normal. If so, it's an app issue, so changing phones won't help.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes