Lumia 920 Vibration rattle???

bmer83

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue with my 1 day old Lumia 920. When the phone rings with vibration, it makes a rattling noise as if either the vibration mechanism is lose or maybe another part of the phone.

Phone is still in great condition and was never dropped or anything, it worked this way right out of the box from AT&T.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I did some research and was able to find that early models of the Lumia 900 seemed to be plagued by the same issue.

-------------------------Testing--------------------------

Took out simcard & tray, downloaded app called vibeMassage FREE. It is when the vibration initiates that the rattle noise occurs, however when the vibration continues into the cycle it no longer makes the rattle noise. So just the initial start of the motor is when the device rattles.

I also tried using the sim card tool to brace the side of the metal railings to see if it would stop the rattle - no effect. Its coming from bottom area of the card slot as if the mechanism it right below it.
------------------------------------------------
When I visited the AT&T store (US) that i bought it from, i found that each of the 920's on display (black n white) also had the same issue.

I was wondering if maybe it was a bad batch of phones. My brother will be receiving his tomorrow, so we shall see.
---------------------------------------------------

Thread opened on Nokia support forum:

Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 920 Vibration rattle??? - Nokia Support Discussions

madgalaxy

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Say it is not so! This is the reason I did not keep my 900 and got the Titan2. I had turned off all vibes but, of course, you can not turn off the capacitive buttons. Hitting those buttons, especially in some apps, was jaring! :confused:

I have a yellow 920 on order - figures crossed the vibrate is tolerable!

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I know the issue has carried over from the 900. But in my case on my 900 I will say that after 6 months I rarely notice it anymore. Either it settles a bit after a while with use but having a case on it also helps dull the rattle as well.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 920 since launch day (November 9th), and either I've gotten used to the vibration, or something's settled in because it doesn't seem as jarring as it was before.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Haha yeah that is one shortcoming that we have to admit. But it doesn't affect me much. No one commented "your phone vibrates weird" to me yet. I wonder what the issue is though

Banned
May 12, 2011
Visit site
This is actually a good feature to have such a powerful vibrate, they just need to tweak the firmware to either send less voltage to the vibrator or pulse it. The quick vibration from key press is fine.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem on my 900 so I know what the OP is talking about. However, my Red 920 is very quiet - the vibration sound + feel is much quieter than any Windows phone I've had. My wife commented that the vibration is too low for her to hear in a meeting, and would be a liability when she's on call, so she's sticking to her 900 for now. I'm surprised to see this come up as an issue with the 920.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just went into an ATT store a few days ago with the intention of exchanging mine. I tried a couple 920s and they all had the rattle. Not only that, all the black ones (three) had the click and creak sound at top of the screen when you press (e.g. picking it out of your belt case). You have a 1 year manufacturer warranty. The lady at the ATT store told me that I could still go ahead and get it exchanged if I wanted but it seems like that is playing roulette and you may easily get a phone that has the same or similar issues. I will wait a few more months, maybe it will settle and just go away, maybe there is a firmware upgrade. Before the 1 year (granted nothing else happened to the phone) I can still exchange it.

Eugene Ladyzhenskiy

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I did the whole email Elop thing with a tangent issue, and got a response with some customer assurance people on CC.

When I'm on a call and the person is loud or I have the volume up high, the phone rattles. And this really screws up call quality on occasions. I'm going to try to determine if this is something that is by design or if its something that has been fixed in new builds as some of the posts here indicate.

And yes, I have turned my vibrate off because it is too loud for meetings, quiet dinners, during movies at home ect.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
People who are having these issues? Are these subject to phones from one carrier? AT&T? What about Rogers Phones? What about unbranded factory unlocked phones?

Eugene Ladyzhenskiy

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ATT. Got a call from a person in "nokia assurance". She actually mentioned the fact that I emailed the CEO which was interesting.

I described my situation to my best ability. She's sending out a packing label, so I'll have to be without my phone for at least a week which should be a nightmare.

Hopefully the phone comes back in better condition than when I send it in. She did say that the Cyan units are still in very low stock, in fact the service center in Texas has none as of today.

Nokia should just take the Mercedes approach to rattles and creaks and just "felt" everything :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)