Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners
04-20-2014 10:31 AM
- I had a weird issue earlier today where IE wouldn't display any web pages. The progress bar above the address box would move across and disappear like it normally does, but all I got was a white browser screen. Scrolling around didn't do anything to fix it.
I turned the phone off and back on and it fixed it, and it hasn't happened again. Weird.11-12-2012 02:28 AM
- Would be interested in seeing a similar bug/issue list for WP8 --- for example:
- Messages supports Facebook but not Facebook Group
- Skype not yet integrate to "Share" option (can share status updates to Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter)
- No check in capability for Foursquare (not a bug but would be a desirably feature)
And I'm only talking about the native features that MSFT has built-in -- fully acknowledging that there are workarounds for all of the above.11-12-2012 05:59 AM
- I have a serious issue I have not yet seen yet. As of a few hours ago, it seems my 920 activates the proximity sensor whenever I make or accept a call, regardless whether I have the phone close to my head or not.
I cannot actively end a phone call because my screen is locked and black.
I've managed to hit the "end call" button in a 1/4 or 1/2 split second when it appears if I press the power/screen lock button twice in a row, but it's very touch and go.
Has anyone else had anything like this?? I'm really really annoyed.11-12-2012 06:21 AM
- I've got a red 920 and haven't had any of the issues listed here, I don't even have the vibration rattle everyone seems to be talking about. Only thing I haven't tried out is pairing it to my car but I'm sure there won't be any problems with that.11-12-2012 06:33 AM
- I have issues with "Cut The Rope". Works fine on my old WP7 device, however if I launch the game from the games hub on my 920 it loads fine. Pin it to a tile on the start screen, and launch it from there. It doesn't work correctly, and on loading you get a strange rainbow coloured rectange in the top left of the screen with a progress bar displayed.
Then you get a black screen, and can hear the music in the background. You can even press invisible buttons.
Also after launching the game from a live tile, you get intermittent issues with the display of the live tile on the start screen. I had it where my 920 showed a blank gap where they tile used to be. In fact the tile was still there, just invisible, as I could tap it to launch the game, or resize it etc.
Last edited by GlennEdwards; 11-12-2012 at 08:18 AM.11-12-2012 06:41 AM
- My black Lumia 920 froze up for the first time since I got it. I had it plugged in to charge overnight and when I woke up the screen was froze black with the Nokia logo. The three buttons on the bottom were also froze lit up. I had to hard reset the phone. Seems ok now but it definitely has me worried. Everything has been awesome with this phone up until now.11-12-2012 06:46 AM
- In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.
Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.
Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.
Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.
White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.
Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week).
If you turn off the bluetooth device -- in my case Jam Box -- the sound will not play through your Nokia 920 for whatever source was playing at the time.
You will have to skip to another song/podcast and then go back to the one you were listening too.
When you reply to an incoming SMS via bluetooth the stream is broken if you're listening to audio (in my case podcast). Simply receiving an SMS or message and having the 920 announce it (but you don't reply by audio) seems fine.11-12-2012 07:04 AM
- Has anyone had any problems playing audio through an audio cable to your car stereo? I tried this the other night, sometimes it was okay, sometimes I got this loud annoying tone or buzz sound.
These freeze ups are starting to get worrisome. Ive had 2 last night, and 1 this morning.11-12-2012 07:20 AM
- Oh man, using my phone in the living room with the light off is exposing a couple issues. On the top of the phone on the opposite ride of the sim tray, an area the size of the sim tray is a different shade of black. Never noticed it before but now it stands out like a sore thumb! I'll be going tomorrow to switch this out for a white one.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
I think it may be heat related as that's where the heat is focused when I use the phone for long periods of time or when I have Nokia drive running.
Looks like it can be rubbed off though (with a little elbow grease). Considering this particular finish I'm not surprised there are slight discolorations at any given time.
Considering my phone also has a distortion issue with the earpiece already, I'm probably going to swap it out once my store has them back in stock.11-12-2012 07:26 AM
- most of these appear to be software related. This is most people's first attempt at Windows Phone 8 and it may differ slightly on small things from Windows Phone 7.5.
Right now we are all basically using a new/patchless OS. It can only improve from here.11-12-2012 07:29 AM
- one issue i had that hasn't been reported yet is that the power button on mine really loosened up and became far less responsive. as it is now, it really matters how you push it for it to work. you have to hit it right in the middle. up or down from that and it won't click. my replacement is on the way. hopefully i don't switched out one problem for another!11-12-2012 07:46 AM
- 11-12-2012 08:32 AM
- I've noticed with Bluetooth... That it pairs voice, music. When I use my Bluetooth stereo Headsets (LG HBS700's) while listening to music... a text will come in. It'll stop the music and read the text to me allowing me to respond with a voice command. After I respond... the music doesn't restart. I look at the settings and it will say "voice" instead of "voice, music." I have to turn off bluetooth, and restart it to get it to work correctly.
Slightly annoying. It worked flawlessly on my 900.11-12-2012 08:35 AMLike 2
Perhaps you're right. Just starting to get a little more critical and worried given these issues many people, including me, are experiencing.11-12-2012 08:35 AM
- Also... I could not for the life of me transfer my contacts from my Lumia 900 to my Lumia 920. They're both Nokia's... they wrote the app... but they said I couldn't pair the phones. The 920 says it's paired... the 900 gets an attitude.
Now all my contacts are stored in the cloud... but I was under the assumption that groups would transfer too.11-12-2012 08:40 AM
- I've been having the bluetooth issues with my car as well. It paired fine but it won't automatically re-pair itself on subsequent occasions.
Another issue I'm having is inability to receive pictures through SMS (MMS). When someone sends me a photo, I get a message with "Get content now" and when I click it, it flashing between "Getting content" and quickly goes back to "Get content now" again.11-12-2012 08:50 AM
- On my Lumia 920, I can't receive xbox live notifications. For example, when playing a multiplayer game and it's my turn, I never receive the notice. I have to manually check.
Honestly, this is one of those bugs that is a near deal breaker for me. I'm considering returning the device. The xbox live multiplayer feature was a primary selling point in my case.
Can anyone else confirm if this is a Lumia issue, WP8 issue, or just a problem with my xbox account? My brother's old WP7 device receives the notifications just fine so I know how it is intended to work.11-12-2012 08:55 AM
- Although at&t charges extra for accessing corporate email and blocks it if you don't pay, you should still be able to connect when using Wifi. However, the Lumia 920 has a bug that prevents you from being able to connect to some active sync exchange accounts.
Using exactly the same settings as on my Lumia 800, which works just fine, I get the following error when using my Lumia 920:
There's a problem with isa.teradata.com.
Try again later.
Last tried 11 seconds ago
Error code: 85010014.
I've tested the active sync configuration using microsoft's test site and there do appear to be some errors, but the tests can be made to work with the right settings (ignore ssl issues) and as stated before it works just fine on the lumia 800.
I also had at&t try this with both a regular (email blocked) data plan, and the enterprise data plan (email allowed). Both failed, as it does wifi.
Data Sense has been removed by at&t
Wifi tethering requests permission from at&t in order to be turned on (not an issue)
Skype is not available. Hopefully this is 'Coming soon' and not removed by at&t
If Lumia's are supposed to have flip to silence then it's missing on the 920
Radio has been removed on the 920
cc-1043 silicon case nowhere to be found11-12-2012 09:00 AM
The 920 also doesn't work with 2012 TomTom Navigation with Bluetooth which has the ability to download the phone book and make hands free calls. Lumia 900 have no problems with TomTom, all works as expected, 920 on the other hand can only connect to TomTom as an external speaker/mic. but no phonebook download, although you can make a call by dialing from TomTom.
920 is missing the following Bluetooth profiles that were present in 900, i think that's the issue here.
AVCTP 1.0, AVDTP 1.0, AVRCP 1.0, RFCOMM 1.0 bluetooth profiles are gone from 920 but included in 900.11-12-2012 09:01 AM
- Not sure I agree that the vibration isn't an issue. If we could get in-person comparisons of phones that people think are buzzing/rattling against phones where people don't note it, that would help (however difficult).
Nokia's customer support tells me a rattle is not expected and I should return the phone (again). I really don't see how, if every single phone does this, it was not mentioned once in any of the reviews leading to launch. The best way I can describe it would be if you take a vibrating PS3 controller and hold it about 1mm above a table. If that's "normal," I'm scared to think what else might be. Seriously, I'm not one of those impossible to please people, but this rattling is not within the range of anything I've heard a phone make.
Just like how one poster was certain the 'thud' I and others were hearing was the spring-mounted camera, after an exchange I can assure you it was an abnormal condition, as the new phone makes a noise that can be attributed to the camera, but is in no way similar to the 'thud' I heard/felt on the first unit.11-12-2012 09:02 AM
- Windows Phones
- Microsoft / Nokia Phones
- Nokia Lumia 920
Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD