Going on my 5th Nokia Lumia 920

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
*sigh*

I love the Nokia Lumia 920 but I am now on my 5th phone (or will be shortly).

My sad story: I bought the Lumia 920 near launch at Best Buy. The first phone I had was one with battery issues. Wouldn't last me from 8am to 3pm before being dead. Returned it to Best Buy and got my 2nd phone. This phone was a lot better and lasted me until last week when a whole line of pixels right down the middle died. I called ATT and they quickly sent me a new phone the next day. Got my 3rd phone in the mail and I tried it for a few days. This phone seemed to have a blown speaker in the earpiece. I couldn't understand anybody on it because of the distortions due to the speaker being blown. Called ATT and they sent out a replacement phone again the next day. Got that new phone today and thought everything was going well. Was sitting here watching video and stuff and noticed my phone restarted. Ok weird, but maybe it was an update. Thought nothing too much of it and went about my day. Little bit later, I catch in the corner of my eye it rebooting again. Ok something isn't right. I check the updates page and it says it hasn't checked for updates for 4 hours now. So I think it must not be updates but something wrong with the phone. Will have to keep an eye on it this weekend and call on Monday. A few minutes later I wanted to check something so I pick up my phone and it's dead. So I think ok, maybe the battery died even though it had 30% left when I last looked. Go plug it in and nothing from the phone. My computer doesn't respond to it being plugged in at all. Great my 4th Nokia Lumia (2nd ATT Re-certified) phone is dead.

And now while I was typing this the phone finally turned on and my computer beeped. Says 28% battery so why did it shut off? What the heck is going on with this. I am starting to get pissed off because ATT says I only have 89 days left on my warranty but I have 1.5 years left on my contract. I need a phone that isn't going to die every few days. ATT offered me a Galaxy S4 last time I called or a HTC 8X. But I want Windows phone and Nokia has the best software for it. I hate Android but maybe this is a sign I should go Android until my next contract renewal.

:unhappy:

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Sad to say, I agree with the original post wholeheartedly.

I went from a Lumia 900 (nearly *zero* issues) to the new flagship Lumia 920 phone this past December. Although my first month or so seemed like things were going well, it quickly degraded after that. I've had the "distored earpiece issue" that you mentioned, the "pixels up the middle of the screen" issue, and all three of my phones have had the "battery drain" problem, which I've documented VERY well here:

Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining - Nokia Support Discussions

My co-worker (upon my recommendation) also grabbed the Lumia 920, which he's swapped twice, and his current phone is still having the "battery drain" issues. My neighbors both waited patiently for their AT&T contract to allow for an upgrade, grabbed the Lumia 920 a few weeks ago, and at least one of them has had both freezes and the battery drain problems. I feel VERY badly for them.

Meanwhile, I've also tested the Lumia 820 and the Lumia 720. Both are decent phones, but suffer dramatically if you opt to use a microSD card for additional storage (as most folks will want to do). Also, the 720 inexplicably suffered from a major scratch on the screen, which is the first I've ever had.

I've given up for now. I have absolutely HATED Android for a few years now (I owned three different Android phones previous to that), but we had a Nexus 4 phone sitting in my desk drawer at work. Reluctantly, I moved my sim card and decided to use it while I figure things out. You know what? The 4.2.2 version of Android is actually really great! This phone is fast, not laggy, stable, and really "just works". I'm heavily considering keeping this phone OR grabbing the HTC One.

I don't know if I've ever met a bigger "Windows Phone ******" than me -- you'd have to ask my friends & family -- but my WP8 experience has been truly horrible. It's partially a Microsoft issue -- there are a lot of pieces they need to fix -- but the quality control from Nokia really sucks.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed WP User

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I am getting my 5th phone on Tuesday. The phone they sent me yesterday just died in my pocket with 90%+ battery life. Could not get it to turn on. Finally unpacked the phone I was going to return and popped out the Sim card in the new one. Then that phone decides to turn on. Stupid. Just called At&t and they are sending me yet another phone. They offered me the S3 or the Note 2 but I refused this time. But if this next phone is screwed up I am throwing in the towel and switching to Android or IPhone.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, me too! Went thru about 6 920s due to battery, dust in ffc, and overheat and att finally offered the HTC one. I took it and it has a sizeable gap defect between speaker grill and middle polycarbonate piece. Called back and they offered to exchange for 64gb version in black instead of silver. Using an 820 right now and on #3 replacement for shutting itself down randomly. Now I have dust in ffc on the dam 820 after 3 weeks of use!. Love Nokia and WP but I don't have time for this anymore!

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
820 was my wife's. She went back to Samsung focus s because of problems w 820. I've been with 820 for awhile dealing with it. Nokia sent last replacement.
So answer is; yes many, many phones:(

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My dad has gone through 5 920's in about as many months. Mostly due to battery issues or locking up (the dreaded gears). He's fed up with Nokia and wants nothing to do with them anymore.

He had an HTC HD7 before this phone and never once had any kind of problems. It even worked after being dropped, then ran over by a truck in a store parking lot! He wants an HTC but doesn't like they're current WP lineup so he's going with anything but Nokia from now on.

Can't blame him, I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose. All of the problems I've had with my 900's & 920's and I've still got a Nokia. But doubt I'll stick with them if I have any further issues.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sooooo, I've gone through HTC and Samsung Android phones in the past (the last one being the HTC One X) and I have to say, the Nokia's the best one so far. I haven't had a single problem (aside from smashing the screen on one - my fault). They've worked better than all of my Android phones combined. Just my $0.02 after coming from several Android phones in the last few years, starting with the OG Moto Droid.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Focus S for a year and never had dust inside the phone like multiple 920s and my current 820. Also no overheating and a predictable battery charge everyday, can't say the same of the nokias:-/

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's some wretched luck. I got my 920 at launch as well, and still have it after 6 months. I've had a handful of restarts in that time, but maybe only one or two since the last update. The battery lasts me all day just fine, not that I use it heavily or anything. I have no defect-related complaints about the device, and am 100% happy that I got it. Sorry about the luck.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hah wonder did you get your 6th. But from your case probably you had been recycling refurbish since the 3rd or 4th replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon