Back from Android

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I took a year and a half off from WP and used Android fairly happily starting with the 2013 Moto x and ending with an LG G3. I sold the G3 recently and bought myself an M8 used. Pretty happy to be back but have a couple usability questions.

How do I clear the volume bar of last played after closing the app, music or podcast, that put it there?

Is there a way to import mp3 sound files to music app and listen, then stop and resume at point last played. When I stop I must start from beginning and manually find approx last point, really annoying!

Hold screen to move keyboard cursor seems to be gone? Hard to get cursor where I want it to edit text now, although keyboard is excellent.

I'll find more I think.

I've been able to set up my start screen with all the tools I needed and more so I'm happy to be back, now bring on the Windows 10 phones!
Sent from my M8.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
As for clearing the volume bar, what I do is to play any video from my phone (not from the internet) and then stop playing the video.

As for stopping midway and then resuming where you stopped in listening to music, not sure when this feature will be available.

Being able to move the keyboard around the screen has been demonstrated (if I remember correctly) in one of the Technical Builds of Windows 10, so if things work out this feature should be in all Windows 10 compatible phones in the near future.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! For the keyboard, in WP7 you could hold the screen to pull up a moveable cursor to edit text. Didn't seem to exist anymore.

Sent from my M8.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I took a year and a half off from WP and used Android fairly happily starting with the 2013 Moto x and ending with an LG G3. I sold the G3 recently and bought myself an M8 used. Pretty happy to be back but have a couple usability questions.

How do I clear the volume bar of last played after closing the app, music or podcast, that put it there?

Is there a way to import mp3 sound files to music app and listen, then stop and resume at point last played. When I stop I must start from beginning and manually find approx last point, really annoying!

Hold screen to move keyboard cursor seems to be gone? Hard to get cursor where I want it to edit text now, although keyboard is excellent.

I'll find more I think.

I've been able to set up my start screen with all the tools I needed and more so I'm happy to be back, now bring on the Windows 10 phones!
Sent from my M8.
1) use a music stop tile or a utility app and pin a stop music tile with one.
2) Use a third party music app like vlc (beta) ,loco music player or audiotica (best music app ever imo) xbox music sucks in 8.1, looks nice in windows 10 though.
3) in 8.1,all you need to do is tap in the text box a few times or hold your finger between the letters of a word and you will see a circle, drag the circle known as a 'caret' to move the cursor. The old way still works but its a bit different now, the caret will show directly under your finger with the cursor instead of you dragging the cursor from the bottom of the screen.
P.S. The keyboard even has swype built in too ;)

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
And the swipe and prediction are excellent!
Sent from my M8.

I would actually argue that. I feel like when I was back on my OG Galaxy back in 2010 the Swype was better than in WP8.1. Words are always wrong, even when I carefully go over all the letters in the word. There doesn't seem to be any way to improve it on my end, which is honestly frustrating.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was using swiftkey, google keyboard, and LG keyboard on Android and I like the features on MS keyboard are better overall, just my 2 cents. Long press for number would be my only addition.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I would actually argue that. I feel like when I was back on my OG Galaxy back in 2010 the Swype was better than in WP8.1. Words are always wrong, even when I carefully go over all the letters in the word. There doesn't seem to be any way to improve it on my end, which is honestly frustrating.
You can write a random word, select it then press the word with a plus next to it. It will be added to the dictionary and should be shown next time you use the swipe feature.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
2) Use a third party music app like vlc (beta) ,loco music player or audiotica (best music app ever imo) xbox music sucks in 8.1, looks nice in windows 10 though.

I found that I could add a playlist in Loco and come back to last point played even after closing app. Works for podcast but erases progress if I switch to another album/song/audio. Not a deal breaker but not very elegant either. Great info!

Edit; only been 48 hrs back, I'm sure I'll figure out what works best for me and suggestions welcome!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788