[BAND] Just how waterproof/resistant is it?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about FINALLY getting a band. However I started a new job recently which has me for approximately 1min a time, 4 times a day, twice a week sticking my arm(not just my hand) into pools. Will it be able to withstand being submerged for this short time or should I just take it on and off each day? My job isn't just the pool thing I will also sweat as the Arizona summer approaches. And I would hate to ruin it between the sweat and the pools.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
It's ok for splashes, but I wouldn't recommend submersion. As far as sweat, it depends. The chemical composition of sweat varies from person to person. I've been lucky in that it hasn't bothered my band at all, but others have issues with the rubber disintegrating or corrosion around the charging plate and hr monitor area.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
It is pretty quick and easy to take off and put back on. I do it all all the time for various reasons and it does not bother me at all.

I hope Band part 2 if it comes out is fully waterproof or at least submersible to a few meters for 30 mins or so. Kind of like a Sony or Samsung S5 phone is. (ie..much higher IP rating).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's IP67 so is actually pretty high and should be fine for what you are describing. Saying that, its trivial to slip off for a minute while you do this.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ive reached into water a couple times with it on and have had no issues. Haven't done it on purpose, only by accident. Wouldn't suggest doing it intentionally though.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't do it intentionally, but It would probably be fine with occasional dunks. I've accidently gotten in the shower with mine twice and had no issues. Its splash/sweat resistant and should handle forgetting an jumping in the pool (unlike a phone), but you don't want to do these things regularly - its not certified for swimming or showering (especially with soapy water). Has anyone heard reports of killing a band with water? I haven't heard of any yet. I have a feeling it takes more than we think.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about FINALLY getting a band. However I started a new job recently which has me for approximately 1min a time, 4 times a day, twice a week sticking my arm(not just my hand) into pools. Will it be able to withstand being submerged for this short time or should I just take it on and off each day? My job isn't just the pool thing I will also sweat as the Arizona summer approaches. And I would hate to ruin it between the sweat and the pools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANcH-eLv9jw

r3dtest

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Rain so far is no problem, was in torrential downpour briefly yesterday, it really got wet. I agree I would avoid knowingly submerging it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice video on the Band. My concern would be the chemicals that show up in Pools, ocean water (salt). I like that it is safe for an occasional splash from rain or rising a glass or utensil in clean water. But how would it hold up in more abrasive waters? For the record, if mine drops in the toilet, it wouldn't much matter to me if it survived or not, its a Craigslist item, period. lol.

duncanstives

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have taken several showers with mine (by mistake) and have gone swimming in a river with it once with no issues. Wouldn't recommend deliberate daily immersion though... PROBABLY wouldn't hurt it but why risk it?

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I went into a hot tub for about an hour about 3-4 months ago and had my Band on. Didn't even realize it until I was like 30 minutes or so into it since I had drank some very spicy water prior to doing so.

Band survived though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151