BLOATWARE: How much should be expected?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
WP7.5 "bloatware" is a few extra icons that can be removed easily. It's nothing like uninstalling the real bloatware on Windows PCs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
WP7.5 "bloatware" is a few extra icons that can be removed easily. It's nothing like uninstalling the real bloatware on Windows PCs.

This is an unfortunate comparison. Bloatware is easily removed from a Windows PC, but you do need to know how to use Windows (control panel -> programs & features -> uninstall) and you must be able to differentiate between what is bloatware and what isn't. Computers and the software they run are amongst the most complex "machines" ever invented, so I don't think spending a few hours to learn how to use them is asking to much.

The inability to uninstall bloatware from a device which you paid for (and is thus yours), is far more troubling. Compared to this common Android scenario, the Windows bloatware issue is but a slight annoyance.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Even after you spend a couple of hours "removing" bloatware from Windows 7 PCs, you get registry cruft that still slows the machine down... and often you cannot remove it all.

Signature PCs are worth the extra $100 just to save you hours of time!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even after you spend a couple of hours "removing" bloatware from Windows 7 PCs, you get registry cruft that still slows the machine down... and often you cannot remove it all.

It is possible to edit the registry if one knows what he/she is doing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

In my experience, removing bloatware has never taken more then a couple of minutes. It has always worked just like I said it does. Your experiences are what I associate with adware, malware, spyware and such ilk, where I would never consider anything else but a Windows reinstall. That takes one hour at most (assuming drivers are at the ready, which they should be). I've never spent hours fixing any Windows installation.

Again. If people knew how to use a Windows PC (spent just a few hours learning to do so), everyone would have at least one system restore point setup and would never need to worry about registry garbage or bloatware again. It could all be so simple.

Don't get me wrong. Microsoft has made a lot of TERRIBLE design choices over the years (the centralized registry being just one of them). However, the most basic problem Windows has, is that it has so far always attempted to be all things to all people. That just isn't possible. Android is making the same mistake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sobev25996