Can I Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the Windows bootloader?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader.

Hey, I just got my new MSI GE62 2QD that came installed with windows 10. Now I'm new-ish to computer systems but I used to have a dual boot of Windows 7 & Ubuntu using basic bios. Now I am lost with the new UEFI.

Here's my question: With my new pc using UEFI, how would I go about dual booting Windows 10 & Fedora 22 Without using grub. I wish to keep the default Windows boot loader.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader.

Microsoft is requiring all hardware OEMs to remove the ability to disable secure boot on new systems with Windows 10. That means you will not be able to install a Linux distribution until Linux gets upgraded to be compatible with secure boot.

Old Dog Jim

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can I Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the Windows bootloader?

Your new PC is most probably "secure boot enabled" as rhapdog says this is a requirement on OEM's from MS. You can try to disable the secure boot feature in your BIOS but this option may well be disabled. There are ways round this using the EFI shell but it is complicated and errors can have catastrophic results - not recommended unless you are comfortable using low level shell commands.
Windows 10 and Linux systems can dual boot without too much trouble using other methods. A good starting point is the rEFInd boot manager by 'Rod's books". Just Google rEFInd for details. I recommend using this boot manager and loading the Linux systems using the stub loader which is enabled in all modern Linux systems. The website for rEFInd gives full details as well as very comprehensive and accurate descriptions of the boot process and efi. There are also instructions for loading small routines to get round the signing issues in secure boot. Linux has supported EFI and GPT for many years.

Hope this her s and good luck but remember the golden rule is to take a backup before you start. You never know when you will need it.

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv