Does anyone else think the search button is useless?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wish there was a possibility to activate some kind of a "app-related-search". Something like: you are using App XY, which contains some kind of a media collection (just an example). If you tap the search-button, you can search your collection, or tap it again to activate the normal "wp-search".
Agreed...
After all, that's who Windows 8 works (settings, too).
It adds to the unification of the environment.
JJ

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Agreed...
After all, that's who Windows 8 works (settings, too).
It adds to the unification of the environment.
JJ

Yeah I would expect that feature to be added now that Windows & Windows Phone have a common core. They both have a lot of features that the other one needs and I expect that they will start to converge over time, especially now without Steven Sinofsky and all the teams are working more closely together now.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
+1 to all those comments regarding the need for contextual search. Microsoft had it right the first time in WP7.0 and then got it so wrong in Mango. When I go into e-mail, there's an additional search button, I think it's needless and could be used for something else - space is a premium on the command bar in portrait mode. But what would be even more useful is universal search. Why should I have to go into email to search at all? Why not use the dedicated button to search all local content, apps etc.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Has anyone tried swiping the search screen? Wow, I have used WP for about a year and didn't realize you could swipe left and right on the search screen and get events, videos, news, movies and deals. I used the Search button a lot before, but even more now.

markdotinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure somebody posted this earlier, but I just learned that it's also a scanner and soundhound/shazam (yay; I hate having redundant apps). Although it would make sense to have it be contextual in apps, but remain the same when you are at the homepage

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to disable this button? It is really annoying to play a game with one hand and hits it accidentally.

That's all I'd like to be able to do is just "disable this button" option some how. I see some really like it, that's great, but I never use it and I'm constantly accidentally touching it while making a phone call and especially while using the camera. Who wants to be trying to take pic's or trying to place a call and have BING jump into your display.I wish I could disable this function that I find annoying.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It should be contextual.
IE like in w8.
Sobif youre in contacts, it searches contacts. If yours in browser, it searches the web. If email; emails. Etcetera.

Richard Brennan

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I think people are misunderstanding the OP's complaint. The issue isn't whether Bing search on WP8 is useful. It's why is there a dedicated button? I mean you could still do the same great stuff with a tile. If you are you are going to the trouble of having a dedicated button then it should have meaning in every app. As it is now, the only thing the button does when you are in an app is to throw you out of it by mistake. That's what makes it worthless. Bing search is great. It's the button that is questionable.

jamsjordn

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the search button almost daily to find what song is playing on the radio or simply to search the internet for something. I would use it more if it was contextual.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Not useless at all :D I use it to test the status of internet connection =)) Just like Google.

At first I thought it's useless and even turn the default search engine to Google in IE just to use Google search like usual. But after some days, I don't think I see any different between Bing results and Google result at all, not in my daily search, and I'm not living in US :) So now, everything is Bing :D I'm turning from searching on Google to Bing right now on my lap/desk/tab cause I like its UI more than Google, much more.

And that's just searching feature, not to mention QR/music scan. Local scout and other features are unavailable in my country.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use Bing and the search button quite a bit. One reason why I won't switch back to iOS
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the side of those who think it's quite useless and very annoying.
To me, it's useless twice: once because it doesn't search in my phone and is not contextual, and is useless once again because most of the "extra features" don't work / suck / are not useful to me.
It's very annoying because is very easy to push accidentally.

I would like it to work much more with stuff on my telephone.
I want to listen to a certain song? Search button, swipe to music, I start typing and first it brings me to the song I have on my telephone, then eventually it can advertise I can buy it online...
It should do the same for places, for mails, for apps and for people. FIRST search in the apps, and THEN on internet.

As it is actually, none of the functions are actually working if the telephone has no internet connection.
In most countries, most of the extra features are useless even WITH internet. Just typed the name of the closest supermarket, nothing showed up under "places". Typed "U2", all I get is a web search, since Xbox Music is not available. Typed "shazam": no link whatsoever to download the app, just a web search.
Conclusion: is of the same use of a live tile linking to bing webpage, but occupies a lot of space that could be used in a better way and is darn easy to press accidentally.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That's all I'd like to be able to do is just "disable this button" option some how. I see some really like it, that's great, but I never use it and I'm constantly accidentally touching it while making a phone call and especially while using the camera. Who wants to be trying to take pic's or trying to place a call and have BING jump into your display.I wish I could disable this function that I find annoying.

The real problem is the fact that capacitive buttons are terrible terrible useless gimmicky things.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I would rather have capacitive buttons than physical buttons. I like that the home key is actually a button. The capacitive buttons add style.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria