My 640 came back from the Microsoft warranty/repair center today...

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried calling a Microsoft Store in your area (your profile says Mass and I know there are 2 in the Boston area) and speaking to a manager? Calmly let them know your concerns and see if there is any advice they can give or anything they can do.

You've been through enough that just trying to get in contact with them isn't going to hurt. Even if they don't replace the device maybe they can give you some next steps?

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
... I don't know if you will get MS to send you a new phone in advance, but I sort of doubt it. You can check the 830 threads - some folks there had success with warranty exchanges. In some cases, folks walked up to the MS store (though they did not buy at the MS store), and they got an exchange for their phones on the spot.
Well, it worked for me when I had to exchange my SP3. I insisted that I needed the device for my work, so, MS sent the exchange device before I mailed in my defective one. Still, Microsoft is not stupid; they took my credit card information just in case I don't return the defective SP3. ;)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Microsoft/Nokia's after sale service is literally non existing. So don't bother.

You are lucky you at least got your phone back from those thieves. I bought my Lumia 1520 for $700 back in March 2014. The touchscreen went bad in June 2014. Gave it to the Service Center and was promised same 7-10 days, but in my case those 7-10 days never came. Even after 2 Months they didn't return my phone. I asked for a refund, but no luck. Waited 5 months for my phone or money, but nothing. Had to file a case in consumer court in the end, which is still going on and I have not received my phone nor my money from Microsoft/Nokia.

So Microsoft phones are a Big No from Me.

$700 for the Lumia 1520? In March, 2014? Hm.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Send a direct tweet go Gabe and tell him all your issues. Attach the pictures. And ask him if there's anything he can do for you. he's super busy though so don't expect a timely response hehe.

dash2009

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible it was stolen by a courier or mail personnel? I would never trust shipping my phone. You should have left it on and tracked it with find my phone. You can set it to create a location history periodically even with gps off. And it shows you where it tracks. This would also be great to prove in court that they received it.

I handed over the phone myself to service center back in July 2014. I still have the job sheet with me. Here is the complete story.

erodov . com/forums/consumer-court-case-against-nokia/75671.html

(Remove Space)

Warning: There are numerous spelling mistakes in that post. I was quite drunk when I wrote that post.

dash2009

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible it was stolen by a courier or mail personnel? I would never trust shipping my phone. You should have left it on and tracked it with find my phone. You can set it to create a location history periodically even with gps off. And it shows you where it tracks. This would also be great to prove in court that they received it.

I handed over the phone myself to service. I still have job sheet.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If in MA go to the Burlington store and try asking for a replacement. Show the receipt from WalMart and the current paperwork. If they don't help, tell them to pound sand and make a scene. Sending phones under warranty away without being given a temporary replacement is archaic, no matter the original purchase price of the phone. You can try WalMart returns too, I haven't been to one in years but remember seeing people get refunds for crt tvs that were no doubt dropped or smashed, surely beyond the 15 or 30 day return window.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Simply It's the point that is the point.

I get that, but these phones only cost $80 brand new at the MS store. If you want it unlocked, then it's more. I would think, maybe wrongly, that it's worth it to them to give you a new one.

As I said, several people were able to do that with their 830's due to software issues, and the MS store sells the 830 for 5 times what they sell the 640 for (which I don't get, because the 640 is 98% of the phone that an 830 is, but that's a different thread).

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried calling a Microsoft Store in your area (your profile says Mass and I know there are 2 in the Boston area) and speaking to a manager? Calmly let them know your concerns and see if there is any advice they can give or anything they can do.

You've been through enough that just trying to get in contact with them isn't going to hurt. Even if they don't replace the device maybe they can give you some next steps?

Burlington is the closest. I did get a call this afternoon from Microsoft Mobile, so I'll see how this plays out before I waste a trip.

Last edited:

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
If in MA go to the Burlington store and try asking for a replacement. Show the receipt from WalMart and the current paperwork. If they don't help, tell them to pound sand and make a scene. Sending phones under warranty away without being given a temporary replacement is archaic, no matter the original purchase price of the phone. You can try WalMart returns too, I haven't been to one in years but remember seeing people get refunds for crt tvs that were no doubt dropped or smashed, surely beyond the 15 or 30 day return window.

Lol, I like the way you think! Wouldn't dream of going to Walmart as it's nothing to do with them at this point.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The offer to send $25 is very kind, but I wouldn't accept. It's more the principle of I actually sent the phone in in "good faith" for a repair since its a new phone and under warranty. I have all the documentation including purchase receipt (Walmart), the box it came in and email correspondence with Tmobile with having it unlocked, and all correspondence (paperwork and emails) pertaining to the repair. The problem is the official doors to lodge a complaint are well crafted dead ends. The paperwork that came back with my phone said to follow us @Lumiahelp on twitter which is where I went to let them know that phone wasn't fixed. It also contained a # which I also called yesterday and explained the situation, but it was a paid message center and told me they'd pass along the information to the relevant team - also said that they have "escalated" my case. I've not heard back from them. Infact, I don't even know the name of the company - there is no clear direction who to contact or what to do. So whatever, i'll let people know what Microsoft thinks of warranty's and your average customer.

The offer to send you $25 towards the purchase of another Lumia 640 LTE still stands. All I ask is that you pay it forward and help someone else out.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You give great, unbiased, un-spiteful advice AND you offered to help fund a new phone? I commend you, sir.

The point being there are far greater concerns for people to have in this world. I'm not saying the phone issue is keeping the person up at night, but it is hardly a lack of them trying to get the situation resolved.

Nima Chalebyani

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Well your problem is nothing compared to mine. I send my Lumia 1520 for repairs. (screen was black at all times but phone still worked. Touchscreen still worked. Everything worked fine except for the fact my screen didn't turn on anymore.

After sending it they send me an email telling me there were no official Nokia parts inside the phone and my phone is not eligitable for repairs and waranty. I was like WTF? I got this phone through the official carrier. So they gave me two options. 1. I pay a ridiculous 503,88 euro's to repair the phone 2. I let them send it back for free. I'm sorry... WHAT?? 504 euro's to repair a phone which is 400 euro's NEW! So obiously I chose to send it back.

When I got my phone I thought okay. Something looks different. First of all my screen seemed bend in a bit. Which was bad. And secondly the phone DIDN'T TURN ON ANYMORE. Basically I had a phone which was working except for the screen. Now I had a phone which didnt even turn on. In otherwords totally bricked. And when I put it in the charger I see the Windows Logo blink white every 3 seconds but its not doing anything. Cant get it to run or backup my files.

Basically Microsoft screwed me. And as much as I love the company. They still owe me a new phone or repair!!

If any Microsoft employee is reading this. Please contact me because I've been screwed with by your repair service. Instead of repairing they broke my phone worse and said my phone didnt contain official parts. How is that even possible????

Messhugoth

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I have the same problem of a bright pinpoint only with bright backdrop... What is it exactly? I have tried to repair with pixel doctor or pixel fixer but unsuccessfully...

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
It's not a pixel issue, it's dust or some other debris in the backlight or some layer behind lcd. At least this is what I suspect. Fix would involve taking off the lightbox and wiping all layers (including lightbox) behind LCD with 90% alcohol so that it is absolutely 100% free of any containments. But as I'm under warranty I wouldn't do that.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Just an FYI the issue with my 640 is now being resolved and I am happy with the outcome. Love this forum, lots of answers to be found here.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia's after sale service is literally non existing. So don't bother.

You are lucky you at least got your phone back from those thieves. I bought my Lumia 1520 for $700 back in March 2014. The touchscreen went bad in June 2014. Gave it to the Service Center and was promised same 7-10 days, but in my case those 7-10 days never came. Even after 2 Months they didn't return my phone. I asked for a refund, but no luck. Waited 5 months for my phone or money, but nothing. Had to file a case in consumer court in the end, which is still going on and I have not received my phone nor my money from Microsoft/Nokia.

So Microsoft phones are a Big No from Me.

Sorry that you had to go through all that.
However do note that these "service centers" are merely authorized by MS, they are in no way owned by them.
I believe that with the your case in consumer court, they, the service center will soon lose their contract.
Anyways all the best with your case mate. I personally had a rough one with my service center here in Malaysia too.
You can read of it at the end of page 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wasifl