Screen Responsiveness

JR Messina

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I am having an issue with the 950s screen responsiveness and hoping a few other ow red could confirm if they are also so I know if it's a bad screen or something else.
When the phone is laying flat on a hard surface the screen is completely unresponsive. As soon as a pick it up everything is fine.
The other issue is in regards to the keyboard which seems to be hit or miss on recognizing input near the edges of the screen.
I suspect it could be the tempered glass screen protector but I don't want to remove it if others have the issue if there is a known software issue.

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I have the same problem. I don't have a screen protector on mine so that's not the problem. My symptoms are... Sometimes on the start screen, when I swipe down to see tiles at the bootm of my start screen, it instead swipes left and takes me to the app list. Also I have noticed that sometimes, when in the photos app and I'm multi-selecting photos, when I tap on a photo it instead selects another photo that 2 rows up. It's like my touch is registering somewhere else on the screen. These issues are intermittent. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

JR Messina

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I want to believe it's just a software issue but I only have 14 days to return the phone. If it doesn't get fixed by software there is no way I can keep using the phone.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had that particular problem. However, I find touch to be poorly implemented; it's sensitive to the point of being twitchy. Slow vertical swipes are generally okay, but go a bit too quickly and it will register a horizontal swipe instead bringing up the app list. Occasionally it will even register a tap instead.

I also find that times scroll gets hung up during repeated swipes, like when you're scrolling a long list, website or email. Instead of a continuous, smooth scroll the 950's scroll stutters; it stops at the next swipe and immediately restarts the scroll.

The difference is particularly glaring when I place my 950 side-by-side with my old 920. The framerate on the 950 is higher so animations are smoother, but the actual function feels sloppy.

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just did some testing on mine and am not seeing those issues. The screen responds fine when on a flat surface like my desk. I have actually noticed fewer of my scrolls being picked up as a click vs my 920.

marmau

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue - and so is the wife w/ her 950. I hadn't tried typing while laying flat - but sure enough, I get input about 50% of the time. I never used my phone like that - so its no biggie to me. When I'm holding the phone, responsiveness and accuracy is fine most of the time. Where I encounter issues is typing, specifically when hitting P, L, and backspace - all along the right side of the screen. I also have the Bodyguardz tempered glass protector, and so does the wife. Since they were installed before we even fired up the phones the first time - I have no idea if its related to the protector or not. I suspect it could, but then again, ive never really had touch screen issues with screen protectors installed (I really hope its not specific to the glass protector because I really like it, so much so ill never use a Zagg, or plastic protector again). Honestly I suspect its software/firmware related. I'm really hoping Microsoft releases some sort of update to fix it if that's the case. I have a friend who works on the WP team, I'm going to email him to see if he knows anything about it. If he doesn't, at least let him know and volunteer to hand over the phone if someone there wants to investigate it.

JR Messina

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If you hear anything let us know. I am going to give it through the holiday and if I still have the issue will remove the tempered glass to see if that fixes it.
If not I will have to return the phone.
You are right that the p l and backspace are the major issue.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I am having all these exact issues as well... I'm also using the glass screen protector. Please report your findings and thanks for sharing.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this issue randomly on my 830 with latest build. In age of empires I'll select one thing it selects something nearby. Sometime in this app I'll touch "like" but it goes to "quote" instead . It has been extremely random. Reboot fixes it.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I Think it is a software problem and not a hardware one . I just think the build of w10 mobile on these phones is very buggy .

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had none of these issues on my 950. I don't use a screen protector. Suspect it's either your screen protector, or bad hardware. Troubleshoot without the screen protector, if it's still messing up, replace it via AT&T.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I will also confirm that I've had no issues like this, and I'm also not using a screen protector. P, L, and backspace have all worked flawlessly for me.

i_hiker

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Do not have the issue with my device flat on the table. I did have an issue with bringing up an email to read it but rebooting fixed that issue. Coming from a blackberry 10 device, I'm still on a learning curve but my overall experience has been positive. My biggest issue has been when I text and hit the windows button instead of the space bar (big hands).

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Folks, I got an update on my 830 this morning which is running preview build 10586 to the touch and responsiveness app. Normally updates to preview builds is through the Insider Preview App and then run Software Updates. There is talk from MS that updates will push out from the Store. So, does this mean that an update is coming for the 950 or is available now through the Store? It would be nice if true. By the way, tone feature to use the screen with any glove was added to my 830 this morning.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will also confirm that I've had no issues like this, and I'm also not using a screen protector. P, L, and backspace have all worked flawlessly for me.

With my experience its not a hardware problem but a software problem. usually happens to me on baconit or readit. causes my 950 to freeze or stop input on the screen.

Bob Swanson

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am having an issue with the 950s screen responsiveness and hoping a few other ow red could confirm if they are also so I know if it's a bad screen or something else.
When the phone is laying flat on a hard surface the screen is completely unresponsive. As soon as a pick it up everything is fine.
The other issue is in regards to the keyboard which seems to be hit or miss on recognizing input near the edges of the screen.
I suspect it could be the tempered glass screen protector but I don't want to remove it if others have the issue if there is a known software issue.

I have this same problem winch the glass screen protector. I first noticed it when I put it into the car cradle. In cradle unresponsive, out of cradle fine. Back in cradle unresponsive. Tried a cradle and a spring clip, same issue

marmau

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok folks. Removing the screen protector did the trick. Anyhow, when I suggested to the wife the issue may be related to the screen protector - she asked me to remove it after a few days (I was secretly hoping she would want to remove hers - because the tempered glass protector is the best ive ever used). Anyhow, it was easy to remove and it immediately fixed the typing issue. The laying flat issue still occurs, but much much less than it did before. If your experiencing this issue, and you are using the tempered glass screen protector - taking it off will probably do the trick. I'm glad I get 50% off on accessories at the ATT store, because it wasn't cheap. Either way, id rather have a functional phone than a perfect screen. Honestly, gorilla glass has held up well for me in the past. Used my 1520 for 18 months without a screen protector - and not a single scratch on the screen. I am pretty careful with my devices however...

Last edited:

JR Messina

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Guess I'll remove mine this weekend then. Does anyone know how screen condition effects trading in the phone with the next program? I don't expect to have any gashes on the phone by minor scratches are more then likely.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I notice that when you use your full thumb, it works perfect. It can be solved with an update, droid did it with lollipop 5.0. They added touch sensitivity so if your in the cold people don't have to take off there gloves (like in New York during winter). Touch is working as I expected from a new product with a new OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di