Surface Pro i7 worth it?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow... the i5 surface pro 4 plus a type cover 3 comes in at around $1,130...

You cant possibly be correct with your statement that only 1% need anything other than the m3... Think of how many people want all the quality, features, and flexibility the Surface Pro 4 has for that price with an i5 packed inside. If 99% of people only need the m3, then why are there so many people who... ughh im done with this thread lol bye

Actully 1% is probably high mark.... trust me 99% of the world would be a-ok with the M3 and 100% would appreciate the fan-less design and weight savings...the other 1% are spec hounds.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No matter whether you choose the i5 or i7, you're going to get great performance. I throw everything at my Surface Pro 2. It is my primary machine. I use my SP2 for EVERYTHING. There is no case use I don't have for my SP2 except for torrent downloading. Sure, it's not as powerful as my desktop, but my SP2 is a beast. I do a lot of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro. It's all amazing with my i5/8GB/256GB and my i5/8GB/512GB machines. The best is that it comes with the Wacom pen (note that SP4 uses Microsoft's N-Trig technology) which is truly useful for any graphic design work. If any of those programs had any difficulty, it's Premiere Pro. But if I need to do some video work in a pinch, I don't mind doing it on the SP2.

If it's between i5/16GB/ and i7/8GB, I would go with the i7 for the graphics. The Skylake processor line is better about scaling frequency than previous generations so if your workflow is more i5 level, you will get equivalent battery performance to i5. However, since the i7 can scale higher, if your workload is heavy, your battery life will be worse than the i5. 8GB is terrific for the near future. You will see and feel the benefits of the i7 long before you feel the benefits of 16GB unless you're editing 4K video. 4K video will thrash in 8 GB of RAM. Then again, the HD 520 is a little slow with editing 4K video anyway. Not so much that it's unbearable but it will be sluggish.

Iris graphics are not a panacea (if you want amazing graphics, you have to get away from Intel), but it's a significant step up from the HD 520.

The biggest factor with battery life on the SP4 is still Windows 10 and its buggy power management but it should get better over time. Edge and Cortana are also factors. Turn off "always listen" since you can always click on the Cortana button or click the pen button to launch Cortana. Edge really needs some work on both a performance level and a features level. It's pretty fast but there are times that it causes the PC to run hard for no discernable reason. There's the Fall Update which is dropping today for Windows 10. The next major update is Redstone which is set for next year. And of course, incremental patches and updates on a weekly or monthly basis.

Surface Pro 4:
6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540
6th Gen 2.4-GHz Intel Core i5-6300U processor with Intel HD graphics 520
6th Gen 900-MHz Intel Core m3-6Y30 processor with Intel HD graphics 515

Surface Book:
6th Gen 2.6-GHz Intel Core i7-6600U processor with Intel HD graphics 520

Note: SB also has the discrete Nvidia GPU as an option. So the Intel graphics is in the tablet portion when you undock. The Nvidia takes over when docked but it's not that simple. To save battery, the Nvidia isn't always running. The PC will actually switch back and forth between the Intel and Nvidia depending on case usage. You can manually force it to only use Nvidia or only use Intel.

Last edited:

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Actully 1% is probably high mark.... trust me 99% of the world would be a-ok with the M3 and 100% would appreciate the fan-less design and weight savings...the other 1% are spec hounds.

Are you just trying to get the post count up? Is that what is driving your pointless comments telling everyone what they need and how stupid they are if they don't listen to you?? As few others have pointed out, your only argument is "because I'm loud and obnoxious about it". It is really not constructive to this discussion, I would highly recommend rethinking your hostile approach towards others in a group setting.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
No matter whether you choose the i5 or i7, you're going to get great performance. I throw everything at my Surface Pro 2. It is my primary machine. I use my SP2 for EVERYTHING. There is no case use I don't have for my SP2 except for torrent downloading. Sure, it's not as powerful as my desktop, but my SP2 is a beast. I do a lot of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro. It's all amazing with my i5/8GB/256GB and my i5/8GB/512GB machines. The best is that it comes with the Wacom pen (note that SP4 uses Microsoft's N-Trig technology) which is truly useful for any graphic design work. If any of those programs had any difficulty, it's Premiere Pro. But if I need to do some video work in a pinch, I don't mind doing it on the SP2.

If it's between i5/16GB/ and i7/8GB, I would go with the i7 for the graphics. The Skylake processor line is better about scaling frequency than previous generations so if your workflow is more i5 level, you will get equivalent battery performance to i5. However, since the i7 can scale higher, if your workload is heavy, your battery life will be worse than the i5. 8GB is terrific for the near future. You will see and feel the benefits of the i7 long before you feel the benefits of 16GB unless you're editing 4K video. 4K video will thrash in 8 GB of RAM. Then again, the HD 520 is a little slow with editing 4K video anyway. Not so much that it's unbearable but it will be sluggish.

Iris graphics are not a panacea (if you want amazing graphics, you have to get away from Intel), but it's a significant step up from the HD 520.

The biggest factor with battery life on the SP4 is still Windows 10 and its buggy power management but it should get better over time. Edge and Cortana are also factors. Turn off "always listen" since you can always click on the Cortana button or click the pen button to launch Cortana. Edge really needs some work on both a performance level and a features level. It's pretty fast but there are times that it causes the PC to run hard for no discernable reason. There's the Fall Update which is dropping today for Windows 10. The next major update is Redstone which is set for next year. And of course, incremental patches and updates on a weekly or monthly basis.

Surface Pro 4:
6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540
6th Gen 900-MHz Intel Core m3-6Y30 processor with Intel HD graphics 515

Surface Book:
6th Gen 2.6-GHz Intel Core i7-6600U processor with Intel HD graphics 520

Note: SB also has the discrete Nvidia GPU as an option. So the Intel graphics is in the tablet portion when you undock. The Nvidia takes over when docked but it's not that simple. To save battery, the Nvidia isn't always running. The PC will actually switch back and forth between the Intel and Nvidia depending on case usage. You can manually force it to only use Nvidia or only use Intel.

I currently have the i5/8/256, and it's fast enough for most tasks, although I have to say I sometimes miss the power of my Asus ROG quad-core i7 when working with video or compiling code. I'm tempted to try the i7 to see if my "butt-dyno" can tell the difference, but I do not want any reduction in battery life or increase in noise while performing the same tasks. My i5 is pretty silent with all but the most demanding use cases.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you just trying to get the post count up? Is that what is driving your pointless comments telling everyone what they need and how stupid they are if they don't listen to you?? As few others have pointed out, your only argument is "because I'm loud and obnoxious about it". It is really not constructive to this discussion, I would highly recommend rethinking your hostile approach towards others in a group setting.

No I am sharing my vast experience with Windows and letting people know whats up. The SP4 works best with an M3 processor there is little debate about that fact, just look at the complaints all i5 related. But if you want one anyhow then so be it. Don't blame the messenger.

I don't believe I called anyone stupid here. Spec hound YES stupid ? Well I didn't say it.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
No I am sharing my vast experience with Windows and letting people know whats up. The SP4 works best with an M3 processor there is little debate about that fact, just look at the complaints all i5 related. But if you want one anyhow then so be it. Don't blame the messenger.

You're exaggerating with the M3 posts now, people got it already, you like M3 :grin:. Now I will share from my vast experience with life and tell you that some people like something else. My suggestion to you is to make a new thread with an extensive M3 review and let people know what you like in an organised way :asleep:.

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
You won't need an i7 to be able to do any of the stuff you listed, but the IRIS graphics is about a 36% increase from the graphics found in the i5 model. Only you can really decide if that's worth the upgrade cost to you. I really wanted the i7 myself, but decided I'd rather spend the extra $300+ on updating my desktop processor.

brianbrain

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You won't need an i7 to be able to do any of the stuff you listed, but the IRIS graphics is about a 36% increase from the graphics found in the i5 model. Only you can really decide if that's worth the upgrade cost to you. I really wanted the i7 myself, but decided I'd rather spend the extra $300+ on updating my desktop processor.

It's still too early to tell for certain (we'll definitely know more next week!), but benchmarks popping up on gfxbench seem to indicate a much larger lead than that even. Speculation is that we could be looking at a part that is equivalent to or even slightly faster than an HD5200. If that proves to be true, then a pretty impressive feat on Intel's part, to be sure.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
SB is a 1.0 machine skip it. I don't care what anyone says...it is a beta device.

SP4 is not worth much more than the base i5. If you want to pay more then don't get a SP4, there are better laptops out there once you get over the $1300 price range.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I wish people stop using the comparison to laptops.

If I wanted a laptop, I would get a laptop. There is no machine out there with the same feature set or options as the Surface Pro 4. There are some new options like the HP, the Lenovo, etc. But if you start adding features or matching features, they're even more expensive.

I see Wild upgrading his desktop CPU. If I wanted to upgrade my desktop CPU, I would upgrade my desktop CPU. But I need a machine like the SP4. A do-everything machine in any kind of environment I'm in. My case usage isn't typical. I do a lot of computing in a lot of different environments. I do a lot of computing standing up as well. I also need a powerful computer. I love my SP2 but there are times I wish the GPU was more powerful. That's why if there was no GPU option, I would've stayed with the SP2. But the Iris is just enough to justify a new PC purchase.

I'm not even sure why Bolt wants a Surface Pro 4. If all you wanted was a tablet, there are lots of options out there. To say that a tablet form should only need a weak CPU and that a higher CPU should be relegated to laptops is ludicrous.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's very difficult for some folks to see past the $/unit measure equation. Maybe it's because I'm an old man who simply can afford, or is willing to afford, whatever brings me joy.

I actually get the hammered "M3" point, and the "I7 can be had cheaper in a laptop point", but both points miss the point. :)
The new Surface Pro 4 is currently (and temporarily) THE standard of computing elegance in wafer form.

It's a stunning achievement even with the $value compromise on the more power packed configurations.

So happy my wallet doesn't dictate my happiness. (or rob my joy)

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
In sticking with the original topic..is the i7 worth it NO

Now in response to your inquiry..I chose the SP4m3 to replace my usable but aging 5yo Vaio so for me it was a laptop replacement that checked all the boxes to run Windows and Office 365 perfectly.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
The i7 16gb isn't a bad choice, but I don't know if it's the best choice for a performance unit at that price. So for some it may be hard to justify cause at that point I feel like most people do when it comes down to gaming laptops. The desktop does it better. So SP4 i7 16gb the gaming laptop does it better. You have to consider the form factor and whether that pen is going to be useful for the MAIN stuff you use it for. (The thing you spend the most time in!)

If you're mainly doing PS/Drawing/ some video editing, then i7 8gb 256 would be the most I'd personally do.

If you're going to do 4k video editing then I would suggest getting something with a quad core like the cintiq companion or vaio canvas z with similar form factors.

I think the i5 would work fine, but being that his would be your primary device then I would say shoot for the i7 if you want this to be that 4+ year device.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree. Which is why I'm waiting for the i7/8GB/256GB. If I could get Iris with i5, I would've (and there are i5 models with Iris but Microsoft didn't choose those CPUs). In general, the CPU part of i7 isn't that huge of a difference from i5. And i5 is plenty fast for me.

I find 8GB enough except when I'm editing video. And 256 GB gives me room to do what I need as long as I'm somewhat cognizant of not being wasteful.

When I was a kid, I had a beast of a gaming laptop. 17" screen. It weighed a ton. My backpack was so heavy. Nowadays, I don't need that. I have my Xbox One as my console and a desktop for PC gaming. I don't have LAN parties anymore. All MP gaming through the Internet now.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
SB is a 1.0 machine skip it. I don't care what anyone says...it is a beta device.

SP4 is not worth much more than the base i5. If you want to pay more then don't get a SP4, there are better laptops out there once you get over the $1300 price range.

After this I had to make my return...

You are missing the exact same point as Bolt. Yes, there may be better LAPTOPS out there when you reach the $1300 price range, but not everyone wants the traditional laptop spec'd out for $1300... Many people will go instead with a $1300 Surface that may be slightly less powerful than the laptop, but then again offers so much more than that laptop.

The Surface isn't just a plain laptop. It is a powerhouse that has a unique form factor, flexibility of use, and astounding build quality. It is for those who want the power of a laptop or even desktop, but want the flexibility of a tablet and laptop. Same thing goes for the Surface Book. They are about merging categories to create a new one.

So when you say that you can get a better laptop for $1300, so a $1300 Surface Pro 4 isn't worth it is like saying don't buy a pineapple for $1300 because for $1300 you can get a giant apple for that price. People who buy the Pineapple are not looking for just what the apple offers but instead that plus so much more, so people are willing to pay $1300 for the pineapple because although the giant apple is a bit more powerful, it doesn't have the flexibility of the pineapple. The pineapple isn't that much less powered, but it suits so many more various needs, so it is okay for it to be the same price.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
After this I had to make my return...

You are missing the exact same point as Bolt. Yes, there may be better LAPTOPS out there when you reach the $1300 price range, but not everyone wants the traditional laptop spec'd out for $1300... Many people will go instead with a $1300 Surface that may be slightly less powerful than the laptop, but then again offers so much more than that laptop.

The Surface isn't just a plain laptop. It is a powerhouse that has a unique form factor, flexibility of use, and astounding build quality. It is for those who want the power of a laptop or even desktop, but want the flexibility of a tablet and laptop. Same thing goes for the Surface Book. They are about merging categories to create a new one.

So when you say that you can get a better laptop for $1300, so a $1300 Surface Pro 4 isn't worth it is like saying don't buy a pineapple for $1300 because for $1300 you can get a giant apple for that price. People who buy the Pineapple are not looking for just what the apple offers but instead that plus so much more, so people are willing to pay $1300 for the pineapple because although the giant apple is a bit more powerful, it doesn't have the flexibility of the pineapple. The pineapple isn't that much less powered, but it suits so many more various needs, so it is okay for it to be the same price.

Thanks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhz9r_v-wqA

jaylink

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Although I could get an equally or more powerful laptop for the same price I think I am going to go with the i7 16GB 256GB. However, I find the actual package and form factor is what I am excited for and willing to pay for.

I will have to order it online, probably staples as Microsoft seems to be back ordered and thats the only electronic store near me for 1000km right now. However, I will be back in the city for christmas and if there were any issues would I have to take it back to staples or could I use the microsoft store?

I might wait its been out and reviewed but I am excited to actually be edit photos again and put it to the test. I am curious to see the performance of the i7 intel iris pro performance. How do you think it will compare to the dgpu in the surface book?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The Nvidia GPU will be faster.

There are a couple places where Iris will make a difference. The first is where doing certain GPU operations such as Adobe software will go from good/tolerable to really good. The second are for games that weren't really playable under regular Intel HD graphics. Not that they'll be running at 120 fps with high detail at high resolution with Iris. But that you'll be able to run the latest games at medium to high detail with a good framerate which is still an amazing feat for such a small form factor.

The only issue is how the Surface machines run at such a high resolution that it's very difficult to run games at those resolutions and still maintain a good framerate. So you'll probably still have to bump down the resolution but it'll still outrun an Xbox One or PS4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788