Surprised: Google Maps on Windows Mobile 6.5.3 is still working, with Traffic Data, too!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This will be a quick post, but I just felt I needed to post it anyway.

I found my old HTC T3333 running Windows Mobile 6.5.3 on my desk. Battery was dead so I decided to charge it a bit, and then power it up. Nostalgic - the old apps were still there, of course, since I didn't reformat it.

One of the apps I installed was Google Maps. I was expecting it to at least show me my location, which it properly did as it used to 7 years ago. Back then, traffic data was unavailable in my country so I wasn't able to test that feature in this app. Out of curiosity, I turned "traffic" on, and to my surprise the seven-year-old app started showing me live traffic data!

I quickly got my much newer phone and compared the traffic data, and the two phones, 6 years apart, were showng the exact same information. Of course the graphics are outdated, but this should give us some hint in the kind of compatibility that Google Maps has.

No fanaticism intended; take this as an FYI.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No fanaticism required. WM 6.5.3 lives on TODAY as Windows Embedded 6.5.3 in Motorola (now Zebra) Enterprise handsets. Regular firmware and software updates happen frequently through the Update Portal from Motorola Solutions.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Google Maps for Palm OS mostly works as well interestingly enough.
NOT!! The only PalmOS device that ever had "my location" was the Centro and that stopped working about 4 years ago. I just checked my T/X (for snits and giggles you know) and it loads on San Fran Bay as usual.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NOT!! The only PalmOS device that ever had "my location" was the Centro and that stopped working about 4 years ago. I just checked my T/X (for snits and giggles you know) and it loads on San Fran Bay as usual.
Yea I know about that location thing, but it still gets the maps! Now if you'll excuse me I have some panning to do...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
No fanaticism required. WM 6.5.3 lives on TODAY as Windows Embedded 6.5.3 in Motorola (now Zebra) Enterprise handsets. Regular firmware and software updates happen frequently through the Update Portal from Motorola Solutions.

That's great! But it seems HTC no longer supports the HTC T3333 - haven't received any updates since I installed 6.5.3 on it.

Getting the fastest directions (dependent on live traffic) also works, but it only gives the fastest route, unlike the newer app that gives at least two alternative routes with ETAs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard