The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
re: Is there really an app gap on WP?

Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android. At the same time, MS apps and services are no longer a lock-in or unique factor when it comes to choosing a new/next phone/OS, especially if they work well on other platforms.

I agree with this. While I understand Microsoft's reasoning for getting their services everywhere and believe that to be the correct business decision, it has also given me the freedom to choose another platform for my next phone and get the best of both worlds. If my Microsoft services were only available on Windows Phone, I probably would not be switching.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

If my Microsoft services were only available on Windows Phone, I probably would not be switching.

That's the Catch 22 that Microsoft finds themselves in with exclusive services vs putting them on all platforms. If everyone were like you, Microsoft might keep their services exclusive.

However, Microsoft discovered that exclusivity did not bring users to WP. It was actually driving customers away from their services. Users were settling for iWorks or Google Docs rather than switching to WP.

kilrathi29

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes there is and let me justify it: On bigger services there might be alternatives, but on smaller or local (I am from Greece) services there are no alternatives, not to say that we don't have wp apps but most of them don't have either alternatives or official ones.

kilrathi29

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

That's the Catch 22 that Microsoft finds themselves in with exclusive services vs putting them on all platforms. If everyone were like you, Microsoft might keep their services exclusive.

However, Microsoft discovered that exclusivity did not bring users to WP. It was actually driving customers away from their services. Users were settling for iWorks or Google Docs rather than switching to WP.
You are both right, bui MS services being on other platform makes it so much easier to switch away from the platform

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

You are both right, bui MS services being on other platform makes it so much easier to switch away from the platform

Well yes that's true. But which is better:

1. Gaining (or keeping) a few Windows Phone users and losing lots of Office users by keeping services exclusive?
  2. Losing a few WP users and keeping Office users by making services available anywhere?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android.

Disagree. There should be an incentive to use WP. And that incentive should be that WP is clearly better.

Clearly, the market doesn't think it is.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Not all WP8 devices were slated to get WP8.1.

That's my point.

My WP was an HTC 8X on AT&T. I don't know who pushed the first update out to me; I suppose it was AT&T. Whether the phone wasn't capable of it or AT&T just didn't bother, I never got a push to 8.1. I was basically abandoned.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

So it sounds like MS needs to put out a better phone if they want to keep customers. If their product was clearly better, people would buy it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android. At the same time, MS apps and services are no longer a lock-in or unique factor when it comes to choosing a new/next phone/OS, especially if they work well on other platforms.

Disagree. There should be an incentive to use WP. And that incentive should be that WP is clearly better.

Clearly, the market doesn't think it is.

Are you saying that Mike is incorrect? I believe he is accurate in saying that there is currently little incentive to switch to WP as the market stands now.

I agree with you that the incentive to use WP should be that it is clearly better. So far, it isn't, according to the opinion of 97.5% of smartphone users. It is up to Microsoft to make it clearly better, without question!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Actually, yes, I *do* choose a phone for app support. Don't presume to impose your requirements and preferences on me.

I switched from WP because A.) The HW kinda sucked and didn't perform well, and B.) App support was "meh" in the beginning and got worse the longer I had my phone.

When I compared Lumia to other phone hardware last month, Lumia was the least impressive of the lot. I got the distinct impression that my carrier (AT&T) is proividing only token support for WP products while they wait for phones that have WP10 installed.

Basically, I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Your priorities and tradeoffs are quite different from mine.

That's why its a discussion ur perfectly fine to disagree!!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Apps are software, too.

Yes apps are software too but I feel like battery and performance is much better in my own opinion there is no point having a wealth of apps on a device that only gives you three to four hours battery time especially if u are not near a charging point!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Here is an idea to all those who hate their windows device sell it and move to android or apple. If your unhappy move OS its that simple. Nokia and Microsoft have done amazing work in packing so much into a little device like the 520 and being highly innovative. Apple were selling the 4s and 5s that had the same hardware inside just in a slightly different packaging. The only innovative phone the have is the new 6S how many years does it take for them to stop deceiving the customer by selling them last years device in a slightly altered shell. Ita the old saying "Don't pee on me and tell me its raining" lol

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

And sadly, yet another MAJOR service is being announced, and as usual, no mention of WP / W10M.

YouTube?s answer to Twitch finally launches tomorrow | The Verge

This continues to prove there is no future for a Windows mobile solution gaining acceptance in the marketplace. It's a long, silent and agonising death for WP / W10M fans. I understand that W10M is technically still not RTM, but even so, a major developer like this should have announced a W10 universal app to coincide with this launch to get things rolling. It's a blatant smack in the face by Google.

And from a developer such as this, what reason would they really have to provide an app for this service, when it runs in a browser anyway? Reasons such as this is why I don't see the Store growing - EVER, and to correlate, that factor is what will be the ultimate death knell for WP / W10M - as usual, that being that simply just about no one wants to develop for it.

I'm starting to approach the idea that it should be best to really call it a day for the platform. It's not fair to users to provide a platform with no ecosystem. It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.

Last edited:

sully9088

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.

Actually it does cut it for 3% of the market that uses phones. In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people". I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps! You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

And sadly, yet another MAJOR service is being announced, and as usual, no mention of WP / W10M.

YouTube?s answer to Twitch finally launches tomorrow | The Verge

This continues to prove there is no future for a Windows mobile solution gaining acceptance in the marketplace. It's a long, silent and agonising death for WP / W10M fans. I understand that W10M is technically still not RTM, but even so, a major developer like this should have announced a W10 universal app to coincide with this launch to get things rolling. It's a blatant smack in the face by Google.

And from a developer such as this, what reason would they really have to provide an app for this service, when it runs in a browser anyway? Reasons such as this is why I don't see the Store growing - EVER, and to correlate, that factor is what will be the ultimate death knell for WP / W10M - as usual, that being that simply just about no one wants to develop for it.

I'm starting to approach the idea that it should be best to really call it a day for the platform. It's not fair to users to provide a platform with no ecosystem. It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.

Allow me to highlight the most important point for you from the article -

Called YouTube Gaming, the service was expected to launch some time this summer ? and it looks like tomorrow will finally be the day. The service is expected to go live on the web, as well as through mobile apps on both iOS and Android.

No dev or companies give a damn to this forsaken Windows Phone platform. Is a hard cold fact, sadly. :angry:

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

That's why its a discussion ur perfectly fine to disagree!!

I get that. It's just that your post I responded to started out, "You don't chose a phone for its app support,..." Don't try to tell me how I choose a phone. It's presumptuous.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people".

...except that people don't use phones and desktop computers for the same things. Without a full-sized keyboard and display, a phone will never be a productivity tool on par with a desktop or even a laptop. It's a neat trick, and I thought it would be an advantage two years ago when I bought my WinPhone for my phone and my computer to be highly integrated. As it turned out, although I tried the version of Office on my WP, I never saw a valuable use of Office on a box with a 4.3" screen. Neat trick, but utterly valueless beyond the novelty of it.

I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps!

Dream on. I just switched from WP to Android and honestly, they are both just Operating Systems. WP was a good place to start because it's pretty simple. But Android has far, far more options for tailoring the interface to user preference. In fact, the biggest frustration I had with Android early on is there were too many options and settings. I've been working through them and the result will be a phone that is set up precisely the way I want it. About the only thing you can do with WP is rearrange the tiles.

You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.

Sure, but my WP didn't do a very good job of that on WP8. It was clunky and often didn't even find a mobile version of a given website. Just like apps, there was also the promise, the potential, that things will improve. But with Windows it seems like that promise is always a release off. GDR1 was going to fix the memory leak. 8.1 was going to make the tiles better. 10 will solve EVERYTHING. Honest. Just wait.

I got tired of waiting and went ot Android. So nice to have a mature OS.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Actually it does cut it for 3% of the market that uses phones. In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people". I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps! You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.

Omg you have hit the nail on the head!! Haven't seen or read something as on point as this epic post. I mean like people on about apps and that are actually forgetting that phones are evolving and some manufacturers are short changing their customers, with windows phone what you see I what you get, they don't promise their customer the earth and don't deliver! "Oh no I cant get my Gas providers app" here is a more secure option pay bills and that on your personal pc, that's why there is so much credit card frauds peoples phones go missing and their pesky wealth of apps give criminals all their Christmases at once!
Nice post and phablets are definitely the future!!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı