Treadmill-Nightmare

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

My First Post Here

I used my Ms Band for Treadmill running (rather a jog actually) last week for the first time and realized distance accuracy was very poor. So I calibrated it with GPS on outdoor run and used it for the second time this am.

Still the distance accuracy did not match the treadmill distance - but I can live with that.

What made me feel truly depressed was - I started with speed setting 9 and after first ten min (on a 50 min Run) I kept on increasing the speed each three min or so and ended with 15.5.

So practically i ran my heart out during last 10 min.

At the End of the run guess what I saw ... on the APP...I saw a Cheetah during the first 10 min and a Snail during last 20 min- I felt like to throw Ms Band from the 4th floor window in my gym ...then again I paid ?99.00 for this plastic.

My questions
(1) Is there any way to over come this
(2) Is MS Band 2 is more accurate when using on treadmill

Thanks for your support.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well technically speaking, the distance is accurate. The treadmill did not leave the room during your run so no matter how fast you moved or how tired you were, you didn't go very far.

It might be more accurate to use "workout" rather than "run" on a treadmill?

Full disclosure: I don't use a treadmill and have never used "workout" mode on the Band, so this is just a guess.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi buddy
Thanks for the reply, it's free running, my general feeling is MS Band is not coping with frequent changes in relation to the speed, specially without GPS, however it is a ?99 device, developed by MS, I expected better results.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi buddy
Thanks for the reply, it's free running, my general feeling is MS Band is not coping with frequent changes in relation to the speed, specially without GPS, however it is a ?99 device, developed by MS, I expected better results.

Did the Band measure your outdoor run distance and heart rates accurately?

If you were gasping for breath at the end of your treadmill run, your heart rate would have been maxed. Did the Band measure that accurately? I'm guessing not. The optical HR sensor needs to be just right. Also, if you tan well and the Band isn't on your tan line, optical HR monitors tend not to do as well as chest straps.

Hopefully, Microsoft will include a chest strap option in a Band 3. It depends which direction they are going in - more casual or more sport fitness.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for your reply.
Yes, outdoor run measurements were spot on.
Treadmill heart rate measurements were spot on too.
In fact, if I can post the graph given by the Health app, it looks rather strange, my heart rate is going up nice and steadily but my pace is getting slower and slower to the point the app displayed a Snail.
However in real it was completely the opposite.
I think overall MS band is almost there or there about (I am looking for reasons to love this ?99. 00 ASBO tag)
Thanks

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again for your reply.
Yes, outdoor run measurements were spot on.
Treadmill heart rate measurements were spot on too.
In fact, if I can post the graph given by the Health app, it looks rather strange, my heart rate is going up nice and steadily but my pace is getting slower and slower to the point the app displayed a Snail.
However in real it was completely the opposite.

I think you may be misreading the graph. If your pace is calculated as minutes/mile then going "down" on the graph would indicate a faster pace. Could you post a screenshot so we can see what it looks like?

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for helping me buddy
See the attachment and note the Snail by 5th Km, that's the time I was running.. My heart out...

I tried to attach, it says windows central has stopped, I will use the computer

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Treadmill for any device is never going to work for speed changes. All that any device can count is the number of steps and then translate that to speed based on the calibration. When I run faster, the number of steps per minute doesn't change much, but my stride length does. MS Band or any other pedometer type device (I used to use the Garmin foot pod) can't pick that up.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Question: when you were on the treadmill and selected "RUN" did you leave GPS on ? or turn it off ?
While inside on a treadmill I believe the correct use is off.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys
Just to keep you posted, yesterday I changed my band to Band 2,
Thanks for all your replies.
I am going to take band 2 for an outdoor run with GPS on sometime today, and get it calibrated.. But it is soooo cold, 0c and raining..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorena783lopez