Trouble setting up flash drive for clean install of Windows 10

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have upgraded my pc and surface pro to windows 10 and now I want to download the iso for USB to do a clean install on my surface pro. I have the media creation tool. I launch that, select my version, etc., then when I get to the screen where it would create media to USB, it says that there is no USB connected. I am having this issue on both the desktop and the surface. Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to format or configure the flash drive a certain way for it to show up to the media tool? My computer is certainly reading that the flash drive is connected.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Make sure the drive is formatted as FAT32, and it is available in File Explorer with a drive letter.

My options were NTFS or exFAT. If I select exFAT it then gives me the option of various numbers as kilobytes and I could choose 32 kilobytes. I tried that and still didn't work. Is that what you meant for me to do? There is no "FAT32" option listed as such when doing formatting. Thanks for the response.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help. The issue seems to be the way the computer reads my usb drive. I attached a different one and it showed up just fine. Unfortunately, the other one is only 512 mb, so I can't use it. But at least I can tell that the flash drive I am using is probably the problem. It is a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64gb. So I will pick up something different and try it out. Anyone have a specific flash drive they know does work?

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help. The issue seems to be the way the computer reads my usb drive. I attached a different one and it showed up just fine. Unfortunately, the other one is only 512 mb, so I can't use it. But at least I can tell that the flash drive I am using is probably the problem. It is a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64gb. So I will pick up something different and try it out. Anyone have a specific flash drive they know does work?

Needs to be NTFS. That's how I got my recovery on usb yesterday. You don't need to go buy another usb unless your wanting a fast usb 3.0. Its up to you to choose the format not the manufacturer.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is the command prompt way of doing it. It's in a text file, because the new forum software won't allow me to just copy and paste the instructions into a post for some reason.

Attachments

• Bootable USB Flash Drive.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen