Unable to activate Windows 10 Pro after clean install (error code: 0xC004C003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekcent28

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
You said in your first post something about an activation key being associated with MCT? Where did you get that? That software is used to generated an ISO to burn to DVD/USB media, that's all. And after MS release build 10240, I wouldn't put my trust in anything found on a torrent site. You really don't expect people to go and find some obscure torrent site to download Windows 10 do you? This is Microsoft's screw up with their activation servers and the way the entitlements are not being sync'd after a clean install. And to get receive lame answers from their support staff after sitting on a call for long periods of time is like rubbing salt into the wound.

DeeX

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Using an ISO from a torrent or from the Media Creation Tool is not the issue here.

To everyone doing a clean Windows 10 install and been getting an Error Code 0xC004C003 for several days with out activation.

I have tried several times to activate my Windows 10. I had several systems that I upgraded Windows via Windows update etc. Upgrading I was able to activate with no problems every single time. After I upgraded and activated I did a clean install from a USB created with Media Creation Tool from MS. No matter what I did the clean install wouldnt activate and would give an Error Code 0xC004C003. I made sure that my Windows 10 upgrade was activated first. I logged into an MS account once I installed Windows 10 thinking that would help. Nothing worked but I kept trying. Heres what I did that now has since worked on the two systems was getting the Error Code 0xC004C003 for days.

1. First, I removed all Windows 10 listings from my "Devices" on my Microsoft account. Each computer with Windows 10 gets listed there. They get added back once you login again.

2. Next I started from scratch. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 clean. Now this time something different I did that I hadnt done before was I logged into my MS account on Windows 8. I historically had been using "local accounts".
I also made sure the install was activated by going to the "CMD" prompt and typing "slmgr.vbs /ato".

3. Once started logging into Windows using my MS account and was certain Windows 8 was activated then I started the upgrade process. I used Windows update on one computer and Media Creation Tool on the other computer to do a Windows 10 Upgrade. Again once Windows 10 was installed I made sure it was activated by going to the "CMD" prompt and typing "slmgr.vbs /ato". I also then made sure that I was logging into Windows 10 with my MS account. For giggles I restarted the computer a few times to make sure it synced with the activation servers etc. I even did a few quick updates for the hell of it.
(You can login to your MS account and now see your computer listed under devices.)

4. Next is when I finally did a clean install of Windows 10. Again I used a USB from the Media Creation Tool.
During the install I made sure to login to my MS account. Viola it was automatically activated instantly.

Thoughts: I have two theories about this. The two things I did different were as follows. Again as I pointed out I historically was using local accounts so while on Windows 8 perhaps logging into Windows 8 via an MS account logs the Hardware and the licensing information on the account. It does not show under devices like Windows 10 installs but it could however be logged behind the scenes. As I type this out I wonder then what that means for Windows 7 users. Perhaps those upgrades arnt the ones experiencing the issues. I dont know as I havent done a Windows 7 to 10 clean install.
My next different action was using the "slmgr.vbs /ato" command both when I installed Windows 8 and when I did the upgrade to Windows 10. Either way I did this exact process twice (very time consuming lol) and it worked on two computers that I did upgrades and then clean installs before but wouldn't activate even after 12 days.

Im sure someone somewhere will find this useful so I knew I had to post it.

Thanks!

tekcent28

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned before. It's a total Microsoft screw up. And like you said, Windows 7 customers can't follow your procedure before there is no MS account login procedure. And yes, Windows 7 customers are experiencing the same issue as reported in many posts on the Microsoft Community forums. What a friggin' mess Microsoft has introduced just to catch a few pirates. Just lame.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Im sure someone somewhere will find this useful so I knew I had to post it.
Thanks!

First of all, thank you for your clear description. It's rare that people can clearly describe a computer supported process in a way that makes sense to others, even if it's as simple as an installation process.

What you describe is what I've been recommending people do ever since W10 launched. Unfortunately, there are simply too many conflicting reports to make sense out of anything right now. Going with the MS account, as you did, is certainly the safer bet. However, I've since seen people report doing an in-place upgrade, then a clean-install, and finally successfully activating W10 with nothing but an internet connection (without an MS account).

See this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/370015-7.htm posts #173 and #170

The member reporting success also links to an article by Paul Thurott who claims that approach should work fine.

If it wasn't the use of the MS account that changed your fortunes (likely because of the W7 issues that raises), then we have two remaining possibilities:

- the 'slmgr.vbs /ato'
- nothing you did differently mattered at all, but something MS changed (to their activation servers or an update they released to you via WU) fixed it.

Take your pick.

In closing, like you I'll also state that this issue has absolutely nothing to do with the choice of installation media (MCT or otherwise).

Leroy John

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the exact same problem as described in this thread and I have tried every "fix" i could find.

I waited 2 weeks for windows to try and activate itself after getting error code oxC004c003 and with no luck I contacted microsoft support. Microsoft support tried a few things and in the end simply deleted my product key, and told me to wait 48 hours for windows to find (hash saved to hardware) and attempt activation automatically.

I waited 5 days and nothing. I contacted Microsoft support again, he updated my computer (which surprisingly found one update it was only updated a few hours earlier) and did a few things and couldn't resolve the problem. He eventually issued me with a NEW windows 10 key.

Not long after I received a call from Microsoft again apologising for the issue, she stated that for customers who still have the problem after the latest update, Microsoft is issuing NEW windows 10 keys.

I suggest contacting them.

Last edited:

tazztone

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
yea what they told me was something different. they wouldn't give any support because they have billions of customers and can't manually help everyone of them. maybe u've had a more friendly customer service agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akashdeep3469