Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10: all contacts are gone, how can I get them back?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10: all contacts are gone.

I upgraded my Lumia 640 (AT&T) phone from version 8.1 to 10.
As a reference, the phone also has a microSD card.

The upgrade went smoothly in 2 steps:
1. 10.0.10586.107
2. 10.0.10586.420

To my dismay, after the upgrade I discovered that all contacts are gone. All what I have are just AT&T phone numbers in the People hub. And I had literally hundreds of contacts on the phone when it had Windows 8.1.

By the way, it was one of the bugs mentioned here:
http://www.windowscentral.com/here-whats-fixed-windows-10-build-10586338-release-preview-ring-members

??Fixed an issue on Mobile that affected some users to lose their contacts, messages, and appointments after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1??

I checked my contacts on the outlook.com. I have AT&T few phone numbers there and few more contacts. Those not AT&T contacts are not synchronized back to my phone.

I also have 12 contacts on the yahoo.com. None of them are synchronized back to the phone with the Windows 10 mobile OS.

Obviously, the phone has both outlook.com and yahoo.com accounts added to the Settings - > Your email and accounts under Email, calendar, and contacts section.

So it seems like I bumped into 2 very serious bugs with the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade from the 8.1 version:
1. Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 wipes out contacts
2. After the upgrade Windows 10 is not synchronizing back contacts from outlook.com, yahoo.com, and who knows what else.

Before the upgrade I made a backup while the phone still had windows 8.1. All 3 options were turned on:
- Apps+settings
- Text messages
- Photos+videos
The backup file was successfully created on the onedrive.com

My questions are:
1. Does that backup contain my contacts?
2. If yes, how to restore contacts from the backup without running a hard reset?
3. If no, what else could be done to restore the contacts?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10: all contacts are gone.

Your contacts (the ones saved to the Microsoft Account) should be in the cloud. Is your Yahoo.com email address linked to your microsoft account? If not, you will have to readd the yahoo account in outlook.

Before you do any of that, make sure that everything is synced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra