We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content

Sari_M

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I decided to do a hard-reset after all. And this time it seems to have solved the problem. The difference now was that before hard-resetting I removed everything from the Xbox Music cloud to make a clear start, I don't know if that made it. But for how long will it work this time? Am I ready to hard-reset every time it stops working?

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I too have an escalated case with the Windows Phone Support Team. They have stated the issue has been reproduced in their labs, and that they are working on a fix. I am not about to hard-reset my phone. I do believe an OS update to WP8, along with the sync/transfer apps will come. However, since this issue has plagued WP8 since it's release, I certainly hope the fix comes with the next GDR update.

Oh, and not a single one of the DRM protected content I have synced from my PC to my L920 has ever played. If I delete the content and download directly to my phone from the Marketplace, it plays just fine. And yes, the content I am syncing is XBM content, not Zune.

Trainwreck_0532

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, Xbox desktop app has pillaged my music collection and automatically change all my songs and albums and divided them so much I can't find my songs. Which in turn messed up my songs on the phone, it can't find the DRM because it change all the info. Fortunately my Zune and Zune software are still keeping it real. Hopefully this upcoming update fixes these issues for people who were switched over from Zune.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had seen some issues about this and thought by now it would be resolved. I guess not. I have a lumia 920 and 1 month ago (when i got the phone) I signed up for the trial. As of today none of the music I downloaded I can play, but I can stream from the store. Also I purchased a track and that plays fine.
So do I have to wait? I tried syncing, turning the phone off. Don't want to mess around with the date. And I really do not want to do a hard reset. So I should talk to MS via the xbox support and get them to cancel the subscription and then I sign up for a new one?

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
At the very least get onto support, give them details of your issue and see what they say. You can always tell them what you've read in this thread and ask if you think any of the suggestions you've seen will help. Let them do their thing first, but do point out that you really don't want to hard-reset if you can help it, so that they don't just throw that out there straight off the bat. I know it's frustrating - I've been using Zune/XBM Pass for about two and a half years and my sub dropped out for about a month not too long ago. One day, after trying everything under the sun to no avail, it just suddenly worked again and I've had no problems since.

If they can't resolve it then and there for you, make sure to tell them you're not happy (in a polite manner!), as they'll probably offer you some free MS Points as way of compensation. Good luck, hope you get it fixed!

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe this crippling issue, present since the release of WP8, still has not been fixed by Microsoft. Like several of you, I talked with support and after trying several steps that didn't work, they prompted me to delete all my music from the Xbox Music and Subscriptions folder and redownload every single song removed directly on my phone. They admitted it would be a pain, gave me some MS points and said "we're working on it" and that there was no ETA for the fix. I followed the steps and had no problems playing music. After a month of only downloading songs directly to the phone, I downloaded ONE song from the Xbox Music app to add it to a playlist for my workout outside and the playlist worked fine on my computer. That night I synced with the WP app and not only did that one song I added get the usage rights error, but ALL of the songs that I had previously redownloaded have that same error again. Rant warning:

No, Microsoft is not "working on it". If they had been, this issue would have been fixed or made less common after an entire year+ of WP8 being out. I wouldn't be surprised if GDR2, 3, and WP 8.1 came out and this problem still existed. I say this because it's clear Zune isn't being brought back, and they're too busy with their heads "in the cloud" so to speak. They added a new coat of paint to Xbox Music which improves its look and functionality as a music player, but that's it. There is no ability to sync local music and playlists to your phone, and the WP8 apps for metro and desktop still have problems transferring DRM rights. I even tried Windows Media player. The same tracks that don't work on the phone don't work on WMP. I'm echoing the sentiment that if Xbox music worked properly, it would be far superior to all the other subscription services I've used thus far. $10 a month for unlimited downloads that you can sync to your phone for offline use wherever you are? That sounds amazing in theory, but somewhere Microsoft totally screwed up with DRM causing "we are unable to confirm the media usage rights" error messages left and right.

I wish WP Central and review sites out there would stop ignoring this issue. It almost never gets brought up outside of forums. Bring it to light, make a point to Microsoft that this issue is still ongoing after a year and that it is unacceptable. They are not swayed by those suggestion threads on their user voice site, but they will be swayed if the biggest site dedicated to Windows Phone called them out on this problem. If it starts here, it trickles down to review sites adding information about Xbox Music errors. At worst it will serve as a warning to people who love to sync music and are thinking of getting a Windows Phone. At best, Microsoft will step up and finally solve this issue because of the pressure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria