Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview update to Public Release?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

This is a question more of curiosity/clarification than anything else.

I've been running Windows 10 Insider Preview on my unlocked 32GB Lumia 1520 for several months, and just recently started reading that there is a full/public release available. I checked for updates on my phone and nothing was found. I tried to find the Upgrade Advisor app as touted on Microsoft Support pages, but it is not in the store (I'm assuming it's only for Windows 8/8.1 phones).

I'm just wondering if I am already automatically on the latest Public Release version, or if I am now stuck in limbo in the Insider Preview. I don't mind being on the Insider Preview if we are still getting more updates above and beyond what the public release receives. In other words, if I already technically have the Public Release version, but am now still getting newer Insider Preview Updates.

Just want some clarification. Apologies if this has been covered, I've been searching here and there for the past few days and couldn't find a clear answer.

Current phone software version/build is listed as:
Version: 1511
OS Build: 10.0.10586.164
Windows 10 Mobile

I was going to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to revert to Windows 8.1 so that I can get the public release version of Windows 10. Is that necessary, or am I up to date? And will I continue to get normal updates? I don't have the Insider Preview App anymore so I'm not sure if I'm able to opt-out of Insider Preview and continue to get regular Public Release updates of Windows 10.

My fault for wanting to be up to date, I suppose! ;)
Not that I have any problems or anything (knock on wood), it's all been really smooth with only a few bugs here and there. I just like staying up to date so I would've done a WDRT recovery followed by W10 update if it was necessary.

Thanks for the clarification!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview update to Public Release

This is a question more of curiosity/clarification than anything else.

I've been running Windows 10 Insider Preview on my unlocked 32GB Lumia 1520 for several months, and just recently started reading that there is a full/public release available. I checked for updates on my phone and nothing was found. I tried to find the Upgrade Advisor app as touted on Microsoft Support pages, but it is not in the store (I'm assuming it's only for Windows 8/8.1 phones).

I'm just wondering if I am already automatically on the latest Public Release version, or if I am now stuck in limbo in the Insider Preview. I don't mind being on the Insider Preview if we are still getting more updates above and beyond what the public release receives. In other words, if I already technically have the Public Release version, but am now still getting newer Insider Preview Updates.

Just want some clarification. Apologies if this has been covered, I've been searching here and there for the past few days and couldn't find a clear answer.

Current phone software version/build is listed as:
Version: 1511
OS Build: 10.0.10586.164
Windows 10 Mobile

I was going to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to revert to Windows 8.1 so that I can get the public release version of Windows 10. Is that necessary, or am I up to date? And will I continue to get normal updates? I don't have the Insider Preview App anymore so I'm not sure if I'm able to opt-out of Insider Preview and continue to get regular Public Release updates of Windows 10.

My fault for wanting to be up to date, I suppose! ;)
Not that I have any problems or anything (knock on wood), it's all been really smooth with only a few bugs here and there. I just like staying up to date so I would've done a WDRT recovery followed by W10 update if it was necessary.

Thanks for the clarification!

You are up to date and if you select release ring in insider app, you can get a newer build, 10586.218. You have the same version as people on official builds. No need to go through the hassle of downgrading and upgrading officially

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview update to Public Release

You can also install insider app and select production ring which will give you any updates that roll out officially after being tested by insiders

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen