Windows 7 - Keyboard Not working, how can I fix it?

Gmd W

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Windows 7 - Keyboard Not working

Hey. I recently tried upgrading to windows 10 but had a few issues so went back to windows 7. When returning to windows 7 and being prompted to log in my keyboard was not working. I am using a wireless keyboard that does not have a battery so that is not an issue. I have tried a wired keyboard and that did not work either. My wireless mouse which uses the same USB port as the keyboard (literally the same thing tracks both of them) still works however all the keyboards I try do not.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 7 - Keyboard Not working

Originally posted by Gmd W
Hey. I recently tried upgrading to windows 10 but had a few issues so went back to windows 7. When returning to windows 7 and being prompted to log in my keyboard was not working. I am using a wireless keyboard that does not have a battery so that is not an issue. I have tried a wired keyboard and that did not work either. My wireless mouse which uses the same USB port as the keyboard (literally the same thing tracks both of them) still works however all the keyboards I try do not.

Boot into safe mode with a wired keyboard. Go into device manager and remove your wireless keyboard drivers. Reboot and let it redetect and reinstall the drivers.

Gmd W

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

Boot into safe mode with a wired keyboard. Go into device manager and remove your wireless keyboard drivers. Reboot and let it redetect and reinstall the drivers.

Hey. I tried doing this outside of safe mode using the on screen keyboard to log in and nothing changed. Also a side note, when I click troubleshoot in the wireless USB under devices (The option that is for both my keyboard and mouse) it says it is a driver issue but it failed to be fixed through reinstalling.

Anything else you can suggest? Would doing this in safe mode or using a wired keyboard (which doesn't work anyway) change anything or was that just to make the log in different or something? Thanks in advance.

Gmd W

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Keyboard not working - Windows 7

Hey. Just to let everyone know first my keyboard is wireless and does not have batteries. It uses the same USB as my wireless mouse which works fine.

My problem is that I went to Windows 10, had a few issues so reverted back to Windows 7 and the input from my keyboard no longer works.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, restarting my computer, replugging the device all with no difference. Also an important thing to note is that even when I use another wired keyboard the same issue occurs and there is no input from the keyboard.

When I go onto devices and click troubleshoot it says there is a driver problem but reinstalling/updating does not fix it, when I select the option it gives me after the troubleshoot analysis it tries checking for new drivers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Hey. I tried doing this outside of safe mode using the on screen keyboard to log in and nothing changed. Also a side note, when I click troubleshoot in the wireless USB under devices (The option that is for both my keyboard and mouse) it says it is a driver issue but it failed to be fixed through reinstalling.

Anything else you can suggest? Would doing this in safe mode or using a wired keyboard (which doesn't work anyway) change anything or was that just to make the log in different or something? Thanks in advance.

1) Only use wired keyboards until you get a keyboard working
2) If a wired keyboard doesn't work and get you into safe mode (F8 at boot in Windows 7/8.1) then check if it works to access the BIOS (F1/F2/F10/whatever your PC shows immediately at boot)
3) If it works in the BIOS but not in Windows Safe Mode then you probably need to reinstall Windows.

I've never seen a wired keyboard not work in Safe Mode if the keyboard is working... so try different USB ports too in case something has gone bad with one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross