Windows phone chromecast alternative

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know of any methods of streaming content from a windows phone to a TV? I use beyondpod

on my Moto x to stream podcasts to my chromecast.

Anybody know options to do this with a windows phone or tablet?

Sent from my Lumia 928

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Miracast is the standard that Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 are incorporating. It has a lot of advantages over proprietary screen casting implementations like AirPlay, ChromeCast, and Intel's WiDi not the least of which is that it is an open standard. However, the Miracast standard uses fairly modern technology and requires fairly recent hardware that can support things like Wifi-Direct. As a result, only the newest Windows Phones (ie: 1520, 930/Icon) have the hardware to support it and you'll also need to be on WP 8.1.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Miracast is the standard that Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 are incorporating. It has a lot of advantages over proprietary screen casting implementations like AirPlay, ChromeCast, and Intel's WiDi not the least of which is that it is an open standard. However, the Miracast standard uses fairly modern technology and requires fairly recent hardware that can support things like Wifi-Direct. As a result, only the newest Windows Phones (ie: 1520, 930/Icon) have the hardware to support it and you'll also need to be on WP 8.1.

I heard a little about this. Isn't it kind of like Apple air play? So you can stream the whole screen, will it have the option to integrate with apps rather than show the whole screen?

I don't think the 928 will be supported either.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a question here...could I buy a wifi (DLNA) dongle for my TV and then use Play To? I was looking at some products on Amazon (an LG one for example) and it looked like it only worked for an LG TV. If my TV doesn't have DLNA already am I out of luck?

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried play to. It only lets you stream local content from your phone and connected to my Xbox 360 but wouldn't actually play

Sent from my Lumia 928

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Chromecast has advantages too, the smartphone just send an instruction to chromecast, the device connect to the internet, download and reproduce the content in the tv, the phone is not used.
With DLNA the phone is constantly using power while streaming the content to the tv.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz