WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects

keness

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bugs and Defects

I've had the same issue with cyan regular release, and apparently at least a half dozen others on this thread are running into random reboots. I haven't done a hard reset yet because I haven't read anyplace that it will solve the problem. Anyone have success with this (or anything else, for that matter>)

altbus1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

When I back up my lumia 925 it gets stuck at 96%, when I go to former back up's I can only delete them but can't install them because it says back up isn't on. I did a soft reset but it didn't solve the problem, anybody got a solution? I've got wp8.1
Grtz

Tariq Saleh

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

After the Cyan update I noticed that SIM settings under "mobile + SIM" is not enforced. As an example, I set the highest connection speed to 2G but it still connecting as 3G or 4G

JuanJax

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Where to start?
- FitBit - Broke! App cannot log in on Windows 8.1 (Well, this is not really a WP8.1 but, heck it supposed to work.)
- Streaming music to my Sync went to hell after 8.1 Cyan.. Worked fine (or better) with nokia black.
- Inrix Traffic tiles broke!!! not updating
- MyRadar Weather tile broke!!! not updating.

really disappointing to see Window Phone 8.1 being such a pain in terms of playing well with other products. Including Microsoft owns Sync!
Hate to say this, since I just purchased a Surface Pro 3... Staring to consider going back to IOS or maybe even trying Amazon Fire or some other mobile devices. Microsoft and it's now Nokia division should bottom down on these issue and improve this platform... It has so much potential - but the company it self is hurting it with the lack of Support and QA on releases.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Spontaneous reboots here, 3x already. Screen turns black and reboots
Sent from my Lumia 820

Same here. Mine seems to happen when I click on the photo hub tile stored in a folder. I dont recall any other folders and apps doing this.

altbus1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

When I chance 4g network to 3g my connection faills and I need to restart the lumia to regain connection.
When I download pdf files you can't find them without an additional file explorer...

Diecky123

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes I also have this problem with the recent CV 820 update in the UK. If anyone knows the issue please help. I have added my comments to another similar post in the Lumina 820 section called - Cyan update.

Diecky123

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone experienced any bug with one drive after upgrading to WP 8.1 ?! The one drive app on my 720 after i upgraded it to 8.1 is only visible in the app list. But it cannot be accessed. It cannot be updated neither can it be uninstalled! I'm stuck on this issue. If anyone has solution for this problem please help.

Yes I get exactly the same problem with a CV 820 in the UK. Also I get no photos in Family rooms which may be related?

paint_guru

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Posted this in the 1020 forum, but may as well post this here as well since I don't see much info on it. My mom just got the 8.1 update pushed to her 1020 and her microphone doesn't seem to be working. Voice to text, speakerphone, etc. are all not responding. I looked around and saw some mentions of this from the developer preview with no obvious fixes, but this was the official release. Anyone else having this issue? Will have her try a soft reset to see if it helps. Gotta love being tech support, but I was the one that convinced her to get the 1020 as her first smartphone.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

When I back up my lumia 925 it gets stuck at 96%, when I go to former back up's I can only delete them but can't install them because it says back up isn't on. I did a soft reset but it didn't solve the problem, anybody got a solution? I've got wp8.1
Grtz

Manage the backup, then delete... SETTINGS > Backup > apps + settings > manage backups > delete... This will remove the fowled backup that is not completing. To will receive a warning you will not be able to restore from the cloud until you turn backups back on.

So the idea is delete the broken backup, then turn the app + settings backup on again, then perform a backup now, and watch the magic happen :) it should complete.

Had this very issue when going from 8.0 to 8.1.

-Derek

altbus1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Manage the backup, then delete... SETTINGS > Backup > apps + settings > manage backups > delete... This will remove the fowled backup that is not completing. To will receive a warning you will not be able to restore from the cloud until you turn backups back on.

So the idea is delete the broken backup, then turn the app + settings backup on again, then perform a backup now, and watch the magic happen :) it should complete.

Had this very issue when going from 8.0 to 8.1.

-Derek
Thx I've found a thread about the problem,
There it was mentioned to chance background picture and lock screen picture to one les then 1mb, followed by the things you mentioned.
Thx for your feedback. :)

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

OneDrive account. This is an annoyance (bug?) for me. But once you have directed the Winphone to a Onedrive account it won't let you change that account.
I have an account that would be better to use than the one I set the phone up with.
I assumed, when I set the account up, that I'd be able to direct it to a different account later - as you can on a PC. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but you can't. I've had to change the one on my PC to be the same as the one on the phone instead of changing the phone's to match the PC - which is perverse. Especially since my other account has far more space.

fabiomarp

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Is anyone having an issue with using the desktop version of YouTube after updating to GDR1? Before, if I set ie11 to desktop, I was able to watch videos on the desktop version of YouTube as if I were on my PC. Now however, I keep getting an error message in the video player box that says "sorry this video is not available for this device", when ie11 is even set to render as a desktop. Before the update I would only get this error message if I had ie set to render as mobile but selected the desktop experience in the YouTube settings. Please help
I guess you should set it to mobile so it can work. In desktop mode, it might be trying to find flash plug-in but it isn't there.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my 930 recently. I don't know if these issues have been discussed in this thread, but I don't have the time right now to comb through the whole things (I did scan the first two pages last night), so hopefully you can forgive me that.

I got my 930 maybe about 5-6 weeks ago (on contract). I connected it to the mini-Bluetooth speaker a couple of weeks ago, and the volume started screwing up afterwards - it'd go down to zero of its own accord, and then start chasing back down if I put it back up. Also, the volume bar would stay at the top of the screen permanently, and pressing 'back' wouldn't clear it. Because the back key was always trying to clear it, this also meant that I couldn't use the back key for actually backing out through menus etc.

A reboot cleared it then, but it re-occurred last week - this time, I just left the phone all day, and it cleared itself. But it started happening again the other night, and a reboot sent it to the lightning bolt and gear screen. All attempts to soft-reset it sent it back there again. So I held camera/vol down/power until the screen flashed and managed to get it to boot. But the same problem still persists.

So I factory reset it, which I didn't want to do. I restored from a back-up: same problem. I wondered if it might have been the back-up that caused it to reoccur, so deleted my back-ups on OneDrive, created a new one from my old 920, and then did it again (also worth pointing out that I have to do the three-button reset twice while it's factory resetting to get it to actually make it through the process). Again, problem still persists.

I'm guessing it's a dodgy OS install? So, before I contact Nokia and try and get a replacement (which they had damn well better not charge me for...), I'm thinking I'll try the Software Recovery Tool. I've never looked into it, so does anyone know: does it completely reinstall the OS, or will it just factory reset the phone again (which doesn't work)?

Any advice appreciated.

Oh and also, to better highlight the issue, here's a short video of what's happening: click

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my 930 recently. I don't know if these issues have been discussed in this thread, but I don't have the time right now to comb through the whole things (I did scan the first two pages last night), so hopefully you can forgive me that.

I got my 930 maybe about 5-6 weeks ago (on contract). I connected it to the mini-Bluetooth speaker a couple of weeks ago, and the volume started screwing up afterwards - it'd go down to zero of its own accord, and then start chasing back down if I put it back up. Also, the volume bar would stay at the top of the screen permanently, and pressing 'back' wouldn't clear it. Because the back key was always trying to clear it, this also meant that I couldn't use the back key for actually backing out through menus etc.

I had an issue with my bluetooth radio in my car. I had it paired before the upgrade. Try removing the pairing (from the phone) and then re-pair it again. That cleared the problems for me.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'll give that a go now, thanks. Were you getting the same issues as me?

EDIT Sadly that hasn't worked, but thanks again for the suggestion.

I guess I'll give the NSR Tool a go.

Last edited:

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I started a thread title 'What sucks about WP8.1' and a moderator pointed the discussion to here and closed the thread, even though I'm not dealing with bugs and defects, rather stupid stuff that they generally shouldn't have fiddled with. Anyway, this is what I posted;

So I updated to WP8.1 when an update was available for my lumia 920. After a bit of time getting used to things, I think I'm going to have to say that this update has botched quite a few things that didn't need to be touched.

A lot of really good features made their way, namely the file manager and ability to download files now (this was a huge feature missing) and the notification centre, but here's a list of things which I wish they didn't change or needs fixing;

• Photo app - The layout is awful. The old app was much nicer having your favourites change and in the background. I did notice that you couldn't check the date of a photo in the app, but grouping it by date is a really inefficient way of presenting them. Overall, just much worse done than before.
  • Volume profiles - Necessary feature, but implementation is really poor because now, it's more annoying to put the phone into silent. Case of one step forward, two steps back...
  • Games - They should never have gone into the app list. I really wonder why they changed this.
  • App store - similar issues to the photo app, layout changes just don't make sense. Previous layout was clear and had everything that was necessary.
  • Web browser - I'm really in two minds about the current way it plays videos. The previous full screen operation had its issues, but I think the current implementation is worse. I'm getting slow playback. Would have been better if they just added a scrubber for the videos.
  • Phone app - When you tapped a contact or number, for instance a missed call, it would give you various options for that contact/number, touching the circle would dial instantly. This was better, less accidents. One of those minor changes which I don't think anyone was asking for.
  • Camera app - Tiny preview of last photo, and the redundant photo button is a bit annoying. Still not sure why they changed this app, they've included tap to focus where you tapped, which was a missing feature, but beyond that, I feel the UI changes are a step backwards.
  • Social media integration - I knew this was going to get dropped, but they said that rather than having it integrated in the OS, that it would be controlled by apps. Well, it sucks. Can't put it any other way. It might as well not be there at all anymore (well it isn't), since you basically must use the phone app. Real pity, because even though the integration was limited, it was so much better to use. It's now no different to the other phones, as when I was using android, apps could integrate into the OS and you could get the same functionality.
  • Messaging - Obviously plagued by the lack of social media integration. It's now also abandoned completely. Was a good thing when MSN was still used, but separate skype apps and facebook apps, they've completely abandoned the vision of having consolidation.
  • Local Scout - I presume this has been dumped from the search feature in favour for cortana. I don't have cortana atm, and it was a feature I did use.

While the notification centre and having the quick adjust settings as well as download manager, are absolutely brilliant, but I'm yet to see many other things that they've actually improved rather than wrecked. I'm yet to try cortana, as I don't appear to be able to get it officially. I'm not too keen on voice assistants. I thought setting up quiet hours was going to be integrated, but appears to be a cortana thing, which makes me wonder why.

So my my conclusion is, WP8.1 appears to be a big change to the vision as it has certainly gone off on a tangent, and quite literally abandoned a lot of the original features. What once was clean and really different, is starting to become more like the other phone OS's, and not for the right reasons.

While I've concentrated more on where WP8.1 misses rather than hits (because i've seen plenty of discussions on that), what are your opinions? Do you think WP8.1 has improved the platform greatly? It certainly has expanded the features of WP, but like I've said before, it's a real departure of the WP vision, as I really doubt there will be any going back now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wopkof