Windows 10 upgrade or clean install on W7 X64 OEM PC ?

Dr Mayank Pandey

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have windows 7 professional x64 os on my hp laptop.

Q. can i clean install windows 10 from usb. As I have my w7 key does it work during install.

Please clear this as i don't want to upgrade.
If yes then please post a link to download the iso for W10 and how to activate it, buy using my current windows 7 pro key or have to do something else.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
As this isn't clear yet, I would say wait for more light to be shed on this matter. As far as I know once the upgrade is done you can clean install windows 10 without the need for any keys or anything. But that is still my understanding. Not sure what happens to keys and the likes. If you read Daniel's latest post on windows 10 please read the section which has the pros and cons for upgrade and clean install. It might help

Dr Mayank Pandey

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
yea, that's the reason of concern, even the msdn didn't confirm anything about it.

I am worried just because its soo time consuming if windows 10 clean install didn't work because of the key.
Yea they say upgrade and then clean install.. WTF.. i don't understand upgrading and installing twice as it take more time and more rewrite on my SSD. :eck:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No.

The ISO is not yet officially available.
You can't use your W7 key to activate a W10 clean install, unless you did a normal upgrade first.

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You need to do the in-place upgrade from 7/8.1 to 10 before you do a clean install. Make sure Windows 10 is activated with Microsoft before you do the clean install. When you clean install you can skip entering the Product Key when it asks. Once 10 is reinstalled it will activate with Microsoft again because MS is keeping a record of the key for your particular machine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923